Nat Geo Article: Climate Change Spells Trouble for Anglers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tacoma Red, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +219 / 0
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    I just can't believe all this junk these so called scientist's tell you what is going to happen. Last year not to many rivers were closed as were this year.. The summer was kind of hot but we had no temps in the 100 degree range. At least around Dillon. It was nice. If it's going to happen it won't happen over night.

Like "What, me worry".
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    The sky is falling.

The sky is falling.
    Old Man likes this.
  4. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Although this isn't exactly new information, I don't think its something to scoff at. Conditions are changing, and in a manner will likely impact many of the fish species that are valued in the PNW. Just because its not going to happen this week doesn't mean it should be taken lightly.
  5. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    im gonna go ahead and say it.

its bushes fault and obama is hear to fix it
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,120 / 0
    I noticed they just had to, once again, mention that danged movie! :D
  7. Tony Polizzi Active Member

PT, OP
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    "The science is telling us that in the lifespan of a child born today, 50 percent of the habitat suitable for coldwater species of fish will no longer be suitable for them."
  8. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    that is sad too
  9. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    go watch the movie idiocracy. That will be life in 50 years
  10. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
  11. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    Whatever happened to ACID RAIN? That was the environmental movements big natural disaster in the early 80's. I am more scared of Chemical leaks, Toxic waste and Environmental damage from bad timber practices and preserving what great National lands we have now more than Global Warming. Oh I mean climate change. I guess I look at the world now in a different way. I immediately think of who could profit from the current hysteria!
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Considering all the crap humans pump into the atmosphere, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a negative effect. When Mt Saint Helens blew up, remnants of the ash cloud circled the planet. If one volcano can do that, think about all the smoke and exhaust man creates on a daily basis and it all goes into the air.

The question is, who benefits by continuing to pollute, not who makes money from pointing out the fact that pollution is not going to work out well for our one and only planet.

Oh well. My wife and I don't have kids and we'll be long dead before things really get bad so I guess I shouldn't care.

What the hell, let 'em pollute so the few can keep raking in the big bucks... they can always afford to move to another planet after they kill this one -- oh wait, we don't have a backup planet.
    Billy McFly likes this.
  13. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
  14. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0

I'm not moving to another planet unless they bring salmonids along.

Also, all you old farts might die before the shtf, but being younger makes me take this stuff kind of seriously. Should I have children, I would like them to be able to fish the same cold streams I do, and if something is happening (ie, global warming) to take that opportunity away, it is my opinion that something should be done.

just my ha'penny.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    plaegreid likes this.
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    Perhaps a more informative exercise might be to think about who could profit from denying it.

K
  17. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    BINGO!
  18. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    I agree with your statement but at what cost to all of us? We know for a fact that Energy companies will not voluntarily clean up CO2 levels they produce. The consumer "you and I " will pay all the costs for their clean up. At some point there needs to be a balance. Would you want $15 per gallon gas if then you would not be able to afford to tow your drift boat to the river? Would a river full of fish but no way to access them suffice? These are the tough questions that we all need to look at. Being an environmental champion or demanding a change in the products we buy is very easy if you have the means to afford green energy and products. Those who can't afford will suffer the most. Don't think for a minute that the owners of green energy companies will do it for anything less than a premium.

Patrick
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    When you can no longer live on the planet, it hardly makes any difference as to the price of fuel. I believe it was a Native American who once said "after the white man destroys the rivers, the forests, the animals and the land, he will find that he can't eat money".
  20. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    This is an overly simplified answer, but yes I would. I hear people all the time talking about change this and change that, but they're always asking someone else to change. When the people lead the leaders will follow.