Native Trout / Winter

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by chrome/22, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    image.jpg

A special fish.... Taped at 22" lazily floated off the bottom, followed downstream and mouse trapped the dry!
  2. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +657 / 0
    Stonefish -
    Not sure what info you are looking for.

The 14 inch min. came for the mid-1980s where the strategy was to put into place min. size limits on streams that allowed for the majority of the females to spawn at least once. The 14 inches on the anadromous waters was largely directed towards sea-run cutthroat needs. The 12 inch on non-anadromous streams for resident trout and the same strategy for bull trout produced the 20 inch min. size limit. Generally speaking that approach has been successful in assuring healthy populations when the size limits were specific to the biology of the target species.

The resident rainbows in our anadromous waters (especially those with depressed poulations) have different needs. Thus the need to re-examine the min. size limits and other regulations on those waters. As pointed out in the link you provide as well other research clearly have found that rainbow and steelhead populations in those waters are linked. In fact it is now becoming more accepted that rainbow and steelhead are just two different life history expressions of the same population; part of the diversity of the species. With declining wild O. mykiss abundance that diversity in life histories is just that more important.

I don't think many would advocate that management paradigms be put into place that actively select against over all diversity of our steelhead populations. For examine allow only the harvest of the oldest/largest fish, 3-salt fish, the repeat spawners, smolts, etc. Yet the current management is doing exactly that by putting selective pressure on resdient life history. Given the current condition of Puget Sound anadromous river O. mykiss populations not only is the current management upside down it actively works against the one thing those populations need - a genetic safety net.

Without the safety net the overall population remains at a greater risk, and any recovery (for example increased survival) will be slower.

I would be happy to attempt to fill in the blanks for there are questions are areas that need clarication.

Curt
    Stonefish and Jim Wallace like this.
  3. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    super trout.jpg
    I have to agree, that needs to change.

But the upside is most of the dudes really capible of doing damage are the water borne steelhead fishermen & the ones I've talked to really seem to "get it" & are looking to almost always C&R the native bows & cutts.

Here are a few shots of my Friday.

c/22

Attached Files:

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Curt,
    The relationship between resident rainbows and steelhead is information I was looking for. You nailed it. Thanks.

Nice fish Chromer. Looks like you guys had a fun day.
    SF
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    This has been an interesting thread! Great info! And pics, too!
  6. blade New Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Big rainbows are alive and well on the North Sound rivers this week. I have never caught as many as I did this week. However no cutts are they up in the little tribs? Great fish and they have great eye appeal. They just pop.
  7. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
  8. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.

Yep, that is sure this.

Love the color, very nice & that egg pattern looks killer too

c/22
  9. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
  10. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    'ish
    But kinda intruderey..
    A little more room between stations and some ostrich give it more wiggle on the swing.
    IMAG0180.jpg