Native Watercraft "propel" fishing kayaks - anyone used these?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Brian White, May 21, 2012.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Chad, those gunwale brackets are nice. My U-12 rests on the bare bars OK and since its hull is shorter than a U-14.5, my straps do a good job holding it without having to cinch them overly tight. My racks bars are spaced as far apart as I can get 'em in the roof-rack tracks, and the straps go over the narrowing ends of the hull, so they hold it on securely even if a tad loose. And I always rig a double line from the bow over my hood to the front tow hooks.
    My home-made roof-roller makes unloading and loading a breeze.

The canoe trailer is working great for my Tarpon 140. It makes for really easy trans-loading to and from my Wheeleez cart. Even an old cave man can do it. Yesterday, I had it down to a quick and simple routine.

2. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Jim, the bare bars were working for me until I got a roof top box. I had to move the bars a lot closer together to fit the mounts on the box. That put the bars close enough that the tiedowns were both on the "fat" part of the boat's hull. I actually had the boat slide backwards on the bars once, and that was the end of that nonsense. The gunwale brackets are about perfect for mounting canoe style boats, like the Ultimates. I sell a set to just about everyone who buys a canoe at the store ;)

3. Jim Wallace

I just read some specs on the Mariner. It weighs 87 lbs with the drive and seat installed, but with those removed, the bare hull weighs 69 lbs. That's what my old 13' Sportspal aluminum canoe weighed.
    Permanently attached rod holder bases and other mounting systems might add a pound or two.

There's some scuttle butt going on over on the Native WaterCraft owner's group forum about a new boat that Native is about to release. They are being "hush-hush" about it until it is ready for market. I'm excited to see it.
    Its been suggested that it is an improvement over the Ultimate models, and will come in two sizes. The prototypes were recently being tested and refined. The forum moderator over there says "any time, now."
    Like I said, I can hardly wait to see this new offering.

Blake, do you happen to know anything about this?

4. Jim Wallace

Ed Call, hedzup, there's a barely used 12' Native Redfish SOT for sale on Seattle Craigslist right now for 500. New is 700.

5. Jim Wallace

One more comment on the Mariner. I think the huge back deck is the best of any kayak I've seen for running crab pots. At 32" wide, I could still paddle it easily enough when I had to, since I use a low angled stroke most of the time, anyway. I'm seriously interested in test driving a Mariner. I'm already sold on the tunnel hull, since that is what the Ultimate series has.

I also just stole an idea for a simple one-wheel yak dolly for any of these tunnel hull yaks. It will make it relatively easy to wheel them down a single-track trail. Now I have to build it.