Nautilus Reels

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by luckybalbowa, Jul 8, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of buying a nautilus reel but need some help. I need help deciding between the nautilus 10 and the nautilus 12 to hold my spey line. I have a 7/8/9 windcutter. I have found where people have said they use the nautilus 12 for this line, but they also use 250yds of 30lb backing. This is over double the backing that I would like to use. Does anyone else out there have one of these reels? Will the nautilus 10 hold my line plus about 75-100 yds of backing?

2. My approach is that if you get the big reel, you have the big reel. If you get an extreme long belly line, or move up to a 9 weight rod, or "need" to go bluewater fishing, you don't need to buy another reel. For the record, I used a tibor riptide with a 6/7/8 windcutter for years and had tons of backing. That reel is rated for a 10wt WF and 200 yds. So you'd probably be fine with the 10... But I still vote for the 12...

3. You will NOT regret the Nautilus purchase! These reels are the creme of the crop. Well worth every penny.

I use a Nautlilus 12. I have roughly 300 yards of backing (50#gsp) and I have plenty of room with a 7/8 XLT (both old a new versions). Yeah yeah, I know I'll never need that much backing....but I needed to fill up some space. For a windcutter, you could get by with a 10 with no problem at all. The 12S is monsterous and will clearly hold any line out there very easily and as much backing as you feel like reeling on. Hope that helps.

4. Agree, I always go with the bigger reel to ensure it will take larger diameter spey lines in the future as extra spools are added etc. As McDonalds asks "Go Big"

:beer2: :p

BG

5. Good luck to you all

6. I'm looking at getting just the nautilus 12 not the 12s. does the 12 do the same thing?

7. Yes, any good ball bearing reel will do this. My ULA, my danielsson, heck just about everything but my loop 4 which has the same tension in or out does it. People just started noticing when really large arbor reels came out because they bring in so much line with each revolution. Don't worry about it. You won't find any great modern reel on the market that doesn't... I'm not really sure how you don't know the water you are covering on a cast. Personally I watch my line hit the water, mend, you know generally pay attention to what I'm doing. I'm never going to be "surprised" to find I'm not covering the seam because I'm casting to the seam. That distance changes all the time. Hate to call things out, but it sounds like a problem for armchair anglers only. On the water? No way.

8. Tibors dont do this as badly but it still happens somewhat.

Personaly I love a reel that will pick up a ton of line when you hit the rim. I usually have atleast some line at my feet when I fish and with one hit I can pick it up with some of the better reels, which makes fighting fish alot easier.

A remody for this problem is to hold the line tight with the hand holding the top section of the rod. I really dont have this problem very much because I always catch steelhead in my first run through every spot i fish :rofl: . Those of you that like to keep a loop in hand to drop when a fish takes will find this difficult. Personaly I like to just keep a loose drag instead.

Peace,
    Andy

9. Mark,

Go with the bigger reel. Use your pinky on the hand being used on the upper grip to pinch the line to the cork so it doesn't move. Also mark your line so you know where you are at. That way if your forget and the casting inertia inches the line in you know how much to pull out. Not a 'known problem' just angler training.

William

10. I agree with most of the previous posts. You should go with the 12 rather than the 10. I’m not sure what your specific concern about the extra backing is? The only downside would be a little weight and (compared to the reel) negligible added expense.
    There are 3 twelve models: “12”, “12T” and “12S”. The standard 12 is only slightly heavier and bigger than the 10. It would be perfect for most 7 or 8 weight Spey rods. I own a “12” and it is small and light enough that I enjoy using the reel on 9’ 10 weight saltwater rods.
    Anil

11. My concern really wasn't only about the backing. I was just wanting to be able to use the reel for when I want to use my 8wt single hander and didnt want to go 4 sizes too big. I was thinking I could try and use the 10 for my 7/8 spey and for my 8wt. these reels are a little spendy to buy two if I could get by with just one

12. Oh, and thanks for all of the information and opinions guys. It's nice to be able to ask a simple question and get some helpful responses.

13. Yeah, your approach is certainly sound. The question is are you likely to get a bigger spey rod in the next year? If so, get the reel that lets you "get by with just one" on the two spey rods. If it's unlikely, and you can certainly use a 7/8 all four seasons with NO problem, get the reel that lets you "get by with just one" for your 7/8 spey, and your 8wt single. Your the only one who can answer that question, and it's not like you'd be making a mistake either way.

I've always taken the big reel approach, with both single and two handed rods from day one. I still don't own a reel that perfectly matches my light speys. I get comments like "that reel looks like a dinner plate!" :thumb: