NC Small Stream

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Jason Baker, May 28, 2007.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Fished some beautiful small water in North Carolina on Saturday. The creek is called Lost Creek Cove Creek. It's a 8.5 mile round trip hike down 800 feet in elevation and then up again. I am out of shape!

The fish were small but fun on a 2 weight. I fished my buddies light bamboo for a while as well. It was perfect for this small water!

I just got a new SLR and tried to take some nice pics. Enjoy.....

Attached Files:

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Nice to see you getting out and shooting with that camera!

3. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    So what do you think? Opened up that aperature with a ND filter on some and used a polarized filter on a few as well. I also messed around with some f-stops on some flower shots I didn't post....

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Beautiful pics and beautiful place.

My only fishing experience in NC came in 1972. I was working as a lab assistant at the Oak Ridge National Labs Ecology Division. This was soon after the first mercury-tainted fish scare. The lab I was working in was involved with trying to establish baseline data on mercury and other heavy metals in the environment. So we built a backpack-mounted generator with two electrodes, one was a car radio antenna and the other was an aluminum fishnet and two of us were dropped off somewhere on the crest of the Smokies and buswhacked down a stream on the NC side that emptied into Fontana reservoir. One of us carried the generator and we probed pockets in the tiny stream to stun and capture native brookies that were in a place that would be as little impacted by mercury contamination as possible; the other carried a backpack full of vacuum bottles with liquid nitrogen in which to flash freeze the fishes. We were picked up by boat late that evening on the arm of the reservoir where the stream entered the lake. What a spectacular and isolated place. I have no recollection of the name of that stream (which was quite large by the time it reached the lake).

Coda to the science part of the story for those of you who may not recall the controversy around the presence of mercury in fish when it was first found, is that there were some naysayers who said that mercury was everywhere and was not the result of human contamination. Our little brookies from high in the Smokies were the first solid evidence that mercury was, in fact, NOT everywhere. They contained undetectable levels of mercury or other heavy metals.

Cheers,
    Dick

5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Very nice report Jason, What happened to my phone call?

6. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    You said that you had wife duty the whole weekend....:thumb:

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Nice report. I especially liked the next to the last shot. Looks like a day well spent.

K

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Great photos, Jason. Reminds me of a small stream I used to fish near Cherokee, NC. Pretty country.

REE