NE1 Going to Pass Tomorrow? 4/9?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by yellowlab, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Im packing up the pram and heading out to Pass for a day of chironomids. Anyone going out tomorrow as well? We can compare notes at lunch.

2. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    Dang it! I'd join ya but all of my stuff is packed for the Yakima tomorrow. If anyone is interested in joining me feel free to shoot me PM!

3. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    NE1 R33D L337????

english anyone.....?

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Going tomorrow morning (4/10). Packing olive & peacock Carey Specials, Olive Six-Packs, Thin-Mint Leeches, mini-popper frogs and spiders, marabou leeches, and a bunch of other thingys. It's been a very long time since I fished Pass. I hope it goes at least as well as in the past. Any others heading up there?

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    So how did you do Paul?
    It sure seemed like a gorgeous day to be out!

6. I got up to the lake by 10:30, a little late, found 2 other gents in pontoon boats near the launch bay fishing streamers, saw one other gent in a pram fishing chirons, saw no hook ups or really hard visible hatches. NO SWALLOWS??! Odd b/c last week was really a different story. Lots of shucks and bird activity everywhere! Water temp is now at 51 degrees, paddled over to my usual spot but found another chironomid fisherman working that spot so I anchored about 50 yards away from him in a less desirable location and fished alongside him. Within 10 minutes, I'd hooked up with my first fish on my chironomid set up and took my bloodworm. Another fish shortly thereafter. We each looked over at each other when we had a fish on to acknowledge that it was a great day to be fishing Pass, especially with little to no crowds. All in all it was a decent day, landed 14 fish, missed several others, fished until 6 pm and finished up with two more fish at the boat launch, pulled out of the parking lot at 6 pm. The other gent whom I fished near probably landed 20+ fish as I witnessed his fury, but afterwards, he mentioned that he'd been on since the early a.m. I think I missed that by arriving later. Next time I'll be all rigged up and ready to fish by 8 a.m.

I think water temp has alot to do with the fish activity. Last week, I caught all Rainbows, two weeks ago, it was all Browns. Yesterday it was a mix of 50/50. The fish are getting bigger and plumper, largest fish was around 19" and around 2.5 pounds by my estimates. Throat samples revealed ultra small stuff, down to size 22, and 24! I was fishing 10-18 and still doing ok. Fish don't seem to mind too much on the color or the size, just put it in the zone and there will be a take down. I could've landed more but I am trying to document all my fishing trips now and had the camcorder in the pram on a tripod and was filming, fishing, narrating, landing, sampling and releasing the fish.

I had the opp. to try out the new Thingamabobbers http://www.fisheyesoup.com/photo_details/9478.html and really liked them. I thought they'd slip more than other indicators but they worked well, ultra light and ultra sensitive, ez to cast and EZ to reposition. I don't have any affiliation with the company or fly shops. But like them and would like to use them for my river fishing when dead drifting nymphs.

They are $5.50 for a pack of 4 in colors. I just used the red and orange as they are the most visible. I had two rods rigged with various chirons so it saved time from experimenting with flies and depths.

Most fish that were caught ranged from 8"-19", the hardest fighting fish were the silvery Rainbows with a few of them doing some really fantastic leaps and line ripping from the reel. The fish are all doing well but saw a few of them with some war scars on their lips. Please use barbless and release those beauties as soon as their landed and unharmed.

I think I might head out one more time if the weather report does what it says for Saturday, as its supposed to be 70! But I know it'll be crowded. Also, tomorrow looks promising, so I might give it another whirl then. I've got the chironomid bug and want to get back to Pass as many times b4 turnover.

It was a nice partly sunny day on the lake, I put sunscreen on my face as I know I'd probably would be burned if I didn't. Im working on my fly fishing tan: face and hands and V-neck line! HAA~!

Tight Lines Everyone!!!

7. Quan

Quan Super Fat Cat Float Tuber

Awesome report. Thanks! =)

8. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Barring any unforseen events, I should be there Saturday myself and meeting a buddy there.

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Thank you for the report- I wish I was up there today! bawling:

Thingamabobbers are the best indicators. I haven't used them on a lake yet, but they're great for throwing double nymph setups on rivers. I thought that they would have more wind resistance, but they don't.