Neah Bay Advice?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by kjt111, Jul 5, 2006.

1. kjt111

kjt111 Member

I'm heading out to Neah Bay in August and was hoping for some advice. I've never fished out there before so hopefully someone can give me some tips? From what I understand, this is pretty much prime time for Coho fishing. What kind of lines are people using? Sink tips? Full sinks? Do you need to get the flies down or is this pretty much close to the surface action? I'm also planning on tying up a bunch of flies before heading up. I've seen a lot of talk about the Shock and Awe fly - any other suggestions on patterns/colors?

Thanks a ton!
    Kevin

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hi Kevin,

We use 350 grain rio striper lines on 7 or 8wt rods. They're density compensated integrated shooting heads with an intermediate sinking running line. I usually bring a 2nd rod with a floating line and poppers if there is good surface activity. Getting your fly down will help you in terms of numbers of fish, usually. A lot of it will depend on the weather and where you're fishing. Look for good current rips and fish in and out of those. Some folks like to troll S curves through them until they hook up, some just pull up and cast hoping to hit a fish or two.

As for flies, shock and awe is the way to go, bigger clousers will work as well, or any other baitfish pattern. I like blues, greens, and peacock herl color out there, but it's really a crapshoot. Some days some colors seem to hook up more then others.

Good luck, and don't forget about the rockfish!

3. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Kevin, in addition to the great advice from Ibn, Captain Chris Bellows used a Chartruese and White Clouser Half & Half with a heavy lead eye. The fly gets it's name as half clouser, half deceiver. The tail is tied with white feathers like Lefty's Deceiver. You really can't go wrong with the Shock & Awe.
    Best regards, Steve

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    First, with a combined Coho quota of 10,058 the later part of August may be closed, so keep that in mind.
    Lines: Most people use ‘integrated head’ lines with intermediate running line and high density (type 6-8) heads. After trying numerous brands, my favorite combination of castability and durability is the Rio ‘Striper’ line. Depending on conditions, you can effectively fish everything from these super fast sinking lines, all the way up to floaters. If you only have one line, the integrated head lines are the most practical as they enable you to fish from the surface down as deep as 40 feet.
    Leaders: Fairly short and stout 4’-7’ 10lb.-20lb.
    Flies: Flashy and bright baitfish patterns will move fish from the greatest distances. Additionally, flies with weighted heads (like the Shock & Awe or Clouser Minnow) have the added attraction of a ‘jigging’ action that other flies do not. Chartreuse/white, Kelly Green/White, Pink/White and other bright colors will all produce. For open water Coho, I have found that flies gaudy enough to shock a Stripper will often produce the best.
    If you have the money or a spare spool an ‘Outbound’ (or similar powerful turnover line) and a popper can be incredibly fun and effective. Over the years, Sliders and Gurglers have out-produced cup faced ‘popping’ flies by a large margin.
    Finally, a great respect for the ocean and a realistic appraisal of your craft and seamanship are probably the two most important things that you can bring to Neah Bay.
    Anil

5. kjt111

kjt111 Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I have one of Rio's Versatip lines with interchangeable tips down to Type 8 Density. How would this line perform?

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    The line will be fine if the fish are concentrated near the surface. As I mentioned in the earlier post, a high density head allows you to cover the greatest range of depths. It can be extremely frustrating to travel all the way to Neah Bay and still be 20’ from the Salmon.
    In a pinch you could add a 24’-30’ shooting head to the body of your VersiTip. Trolling with such a line would be fine, casting will be less than ideal. If you can afford it, bring the VersiTip as a back-up or surface line and get an integrated head or shooting head line as a primary line.
    Anil

7. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

Anil, can you give some of the specifics on the Rio Striper line? Length of head, etc. And do you like using it in the sound as the coho return to the streams. We've been doing well with the intermediate lines in years past, in the sound, but I was wondering if the Striper might have some advantages closer to home as well as at Neah Bay.

Sterling

8. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    The Striper comes in two versions: An intermediate (with good applications for local beaches) and a ‘deepwater’ version. The version that I’ve been recommending for Neah Bay is the “Striper 26’ DC.” It has an intermediate running line with a 26’ density compensated head.
    I prefer this line to other manufacturers’ offerings for a reason that is somewhat peculiar to Neah Bay. The Striper uses a thicker core than the other brands. Some of these lines have a slight edge on the Rio in terms of shooting line and casting distance (due mainly to their thinner core and a longer head 30’+). Something that these manufacturers didn’t take into account when they designed these thinner lines was the behavior of Lingcod. Lingcod have a tendency to dive straight for cover when hooked. ‘Cover’ at Neah Bay, means rocks and Kelp. I broke two of these thinner lines in one day and my opinion about them has changed. If you are only fishing open water for Salmon they do an excellent job, however for mixed fishing close to structure, a thicker line is much more practical. I always carry a backup line in my boat bag, but it usually stays there.
    To answer your final question, the DC Striper has very limited use for beach fishing. It sinks (depending on grain weight) at least 61/2” per second and usually just hangs up on the bottom. For most beach fishing, stick with your intermediate.
    On the other hand, if you are fishing deep water from a boat they can be quite useful, particularly for Lingcod or Chinook.
    Anil

9. soreshoulder

soreshoulder New Member

i love using intermediate line out there and bucktailing. move the boat fast enough that the fly will porpoise through the waves. hang on and watch the show as those silvers coming flying up to slash and attack your fly. with flies... i have always found bigger is better. have fun and see you out there. andy

10. FISHFARTO

FISHFARTO New Member

Try using a "Grim Reefer" jig in green or blue, without a hook, to bring the fish to the boat. One guy jigs while the other casts.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    I see that it's a little out of your way, but head on down to the Puget Sound Fly Company fly shop down in the Federal Way/Des Moines area; those guys fish Neah Bay at various times all year, and can help you a ton.

Buy a couple of goodies while you're there, too, to help keep the guys in biz !!