Neah Bay and Area 10 Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mike, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

nice pictures of seal rock! hope you get back out there soon they're slayin em up there now!

2. Yak

Yak Member

Hey Chris (topwater),

Boy I sure remember some good times out at NB and sure looks like it's going to get good this year. Too bad you are not around to run the boat and release fish, after fish, after fish...couple pics of the good times.

Jack Beer

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    thanks for the quick trip down memory lane jack.

i'll never forget that day on swiftsure, literally the best and longest coho bite i've ever experienced. the way the current and wind worked i never had to reset the drift and it was 2-3 hours of literally non-stop coho on cast flies. just running from one rod to the next to release fish and retie clousers.

chris

4. Salmo_Gairdneri

Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

Hi Chris,

Fixed that for you. Stop perpetuating the myth that coho eat flies.

Thank you.

-t

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Those are some nice coho! A buddy of mine fished with Chris several times, and they had some epic (by my buddy's and my standards, but a regular ol' day by Chris's standards) fishing days. You know, 80+ coho between three guys, that kind of stuff.

I bet this is the time of year when Chris wishes he were back in the NW catching saltwater coho! :thumb:

6. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Had an epic day myself Saturday. Into fish all day from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm (didn't really count but I brought 15 fish to hand between 7PM and 9PM and it was like that pretty much all day). Coho up on the surface all day in the rips. Mixed bag of wild and hatchery fish, but mostly wild fish. Some of the clipped fish were large. Didn't bother to fish for Rockfish until Sunday and it was very slow for those fish. Heard the gear guys complaining about how slow it has been the last few weeks for Rockfish. Do those fish move off the kelp into deeper water at times?

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I think they move off the kelp into coolers, 10 at a time.

8. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Yeah, that absurd limit and the resulting bonkfest is one of my major soapbox issues, but at least for me, I've noticed a pattern with black rockfish around Waadah in recent years (i.e. awesome fishing in early July, much slower fishing in later July/August). I guess it's just a matter of time before the fish are mostly gone from the entire area (like they appear to be now from the jetty) but still, things seem to rebound every year - at least early season.

9. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Fish with 20-30 year life spans don't typically rebound from a bonkfest.bawling: