Neah Bay and La Push Trip Report 7-19-2012

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Tachell, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Caught a bunch of seabass, some lings and a cabezon on the fly at La Push on thursday and got into some good fly fishing for silvers at Neah Bay on friday. Check out my blog for the full report,pics and a link at the end of the post to a video of my buddy Erik catching a Neah Bay silver on the fly.
    Neah Bay and La Push 7-19-2012 038.JPG

2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    sounds awesome Jonathan. where is your blog link?
    thanks

3. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    At the bottom of all my posts. flyfish253.wordpress.com

4. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Thanks for the report. I'll be out there this week on Wed. Can't wait.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Nice report Jonathan, however I got sea-sick almost, watching the video!! :D

6. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    Yeah the video was kind of a disaster trying to stay on the fish and get the net, while not stepping on a fly rod. Mix in the waves and shooting it on a cheap digital camera and you get the finished product.:)

7. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Thanks
    The link is not showing for me on the bottom of the post, but I have it now.

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Nice report. Looks like you guys had a great time!

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    well done... you got the deepwater bottomfishing down. i pity the silvers when you get a few more days out there under your belt.

10. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    Very nice! La push is one place I still got to get out and try. Really like your blog too.

11. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    La Push is a fun place to fish for bottom fish thats for sure. Thanks for the compliment Top in my class.

12. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

13. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Really?? A backyard full of over 30 dead rockfish? Legal? OK.... Ethical? Not in my opinion.

Don Freeman likes this.
  14. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

SeaRun Fanatic,

You are indeed entitled to your opinion regarding ethics, however your tallying skills are flawed. There are exactly 30 dead rockfish (not over), which as you mentioned is legal, as there were 3 anglers and the limit is 10 per day. The remaining 3 fish are 2 lingcod and 1 cabezon.

As far as ethics, some people have limited opportunities to fish the coastal waters and yes, would like to bring some delicious white fish home when the opportunity is available.

Would you find it more ethical if a person were able to fish those waters say 10 times in a given season, and kept 1 fish each time?

The net result is the same.

15. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

16. Awesome Jon! Anyway you look at it, you guys did very well.

17. These guys have nothing compared to the charters that run 10-12 clients out daily and get their 100-120 black rocks. Give the guy a break, as long as its being enjoyed and eaten I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

PfleugerPhister likes this.
  18. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    the tribes net a lot of steelhead... and wild steelhead taste good if eaten fresh.

the seafood watch lists are green washing at it's finest. a list doesn't show declines we have seen with our own eyes as pressure shifts further from ports. we are unlike our neighbors to the north with long salmon and halibut seasons to relieve pressure on rockfish. rockfish are a primary fishery unlike in many other areas.

searun fanatic makes a good (even if not very tactful) point about threads on the saltwater forum. we praise the limits of rockfish caught on this thread and then specifically bash high rockfish limits on another thread. it hurts a little to see our hypocrisy see the light of day (mine especially :)) all of us who have fished for bottomfish have likely kept as many fish as jonathan has at one point (or lots more). i also think attacks on people who keep the limit are counterproductive and that conversations about the limits (such as on the other thread) can be better because they don't attack but educate.

i honestly missed most of the rockfish stuff because i am far more interested in the lingcod, cabezon, and salmon catches he posted about.

i may not agree with keeping tons of rockfish, but jonathan is killing it on the water especially with the lingcod / cabezon.

chris

19. Jonathan Tachell

Media:
    If you have ever fished La Push for black rock fish you would know that there is no shortage of fish. And yes my family and I enjoy eating lingcod and sea bass. Like james said I only get the chance to fish up there once or twice a year so I like to bring some fish home. Since you can no longer keep any in my home waters of Puget Sound its the only way to be able to have some rock fish to eat especially through the winter. I release all fish that I catch with the exception of hatchery salmon, hatchery steelhead, rock fish and lingcod when it is legal to retain them and if I feel the fish in that area are not in short supply. I have a huge amount of respect for each fish I catch and only decide to keep them if I know they will be eaten and enjoyed. Sorry if I offended anyone with the photo but I do like to retain and eat certain fish when legal to do so as stated above.

20. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

I always keep my limit, and when I do, I'm sure that I disrespect each and every fish as much as possible by pissing on them and banging their wives.