Neah Bay Guide?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Joepa, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Does anyone have any info on a FF guide for Neah that can accommodate a single angler? I know that Chris at Topwater Charters comes highly recommended, but think he only books parties of three (I have an email into him). Is Dennis Dickson the only other option? I have 2 weeks off this month and would like to book a trip at Neah. I did a Neah/Sol Duc trip last year with Dennis, but I'm really only interested in a day or two at Neah. Thanks

2. Anil

Anil Active Member

I think you’ll find that any guide will take a solo angler out. Unfortunately the cost of taking a single angler out on the water isn’t substantially less than 3 anglers. Your cost will be for the boat, whether there are 1 or 3 anglers.
    Other than Chris Bellows, Jim Kerr (360 301-4559 or www.Jimkerrguides.com) is LICENSED to fish in the Straits as well. He is a great guy and an excellent guide. Find a buddy and go fishing!
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

3. SSL84

SSL84 Member

I fished with Jim Kerr on Saturday and highly recommend him.

Jeff

4. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Check PM

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

well, i have to chime in. the silence is a bit bothersome.

an admission of illegal guiding gets silence. i have been just as guilty in the past of walking softly when it comes to this discussion but no longer.

basically, it is unfair to legal charter boat operators who have coast guard licenses and have purchased salmon charter licenses to have to compete with those who do not.

the illegal guiding industry in washington state is a black mark, and it is seemingly ignored by a segment of the fishing community that would freak if a fly fishing guide kept a wild steelhead... but doesn't seem to care (silence speaks volumes) about illegal guiding in our state waters.

of course, it is a little late for me... but for the sake of other fly fishing charters (and ones in the future) we owe it to them to speak out against illegal guiding.

chris bellows

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Maybe I was being too subtle. I agree.

Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

7. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

we were booked with chris last monday but his boat was busted. the boys were about to cry, me too. i hoped he got it fixed. mike w

8. RedFive

RedFive Member

I HIGHLY recommend Jim Kerr, for the same reasons Anil cited. You won't be disappointed.

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

anil,

my post was not specific to you or anyone else, but just general frustration over not only other's silence... but certainly my own.

the rules for running salmon charters in washington state are very strict... and one can debate the need for strict rules... but flagrant law breaking by "well-known" guides is unacceptable. i may be banned from this board, but doing the right thing is worth it.

DENNIS DICKSON IS NOT A LEGAL OPTION FOR NEAH BAY FISHING TRIPS.

shame on me for needing so many years to find my voice.

chris bellows