Neah Bay next week

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by martyg, Jul 6, 2006.

1. martyg

martyg Active Member

I'm thinking about dragging the boat over. Anyone else going?

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll be out there for sure the 19/20th, I might also head out there 15/16th... When are you going?

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    martyg, what type of boat do you have? I've been kicking around dragging my 14' Smokercraft Alaskan w/25 hp over to Sekiu or Neah Bay, but I'm thinking that I might be, of course depending on weather, relegated to fishing in close or not further than Seal or Sail rocks.

Ibn, didn't you used to go out there with a Gregor 14' or 15'?

4. ibn

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, 14' gregor v-hull with a short transom. About a half dozen trips in that thing and I decided to upgrade to the whaler. It got a little hairy a few times.

5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Richard:

I have a similar boat(Smokercraft 14 1/2' Stinger with 25hp)
    and have thought about hauling it up there. But am leary about safety in that small of a boat. So will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Roger

6. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    You definitely need the right weather for a boat like that. Stay close to the harbor on the right day and you should be O.K. Don’t dismiss Sekiu as a fishing destination, particularly for anglers with smaller boats (or even anglers without boats).
    For a variety of reasons, Neah Bay tends to produce more fish for fly anglers than Sekiu. But Salmon fishing that is even half as good is well worth the drive. Sekiu has decent motel rooms, boat rentals and places to eat.
    If you can go all the way do it, but don’t make the mistake of thinking it’s all or nothing.
    Anil

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

Image of da boat is attached. I will be watching weather, workload at the office, etc. and probably go out for three days.

I'll be driving a pewter colored 4Runner and have a blue TNF tent.

Does anyone get Verison service out there?

8. ibn

Media:
    Home Page:
    Verizon is the only cell service you can get out there, it bounces off vancouver island, it's usually full bars on the water.

9. gt

gt Active Member

Media:

i hear this quite often. but i have to wonder whether this is simply an artifact of folks who fly fish concentrating their efforts at neah as opposed to other locations.

anyone have some thoughts on this??

10. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I’ve fished at Sekiu quite a few times and I think that it’s not just a case of figuring things out. Here are a few of the reasons that I think Neah Bay is more productive for fly fishermen.
    1. There are more fish. The huge amount of water flowing in and out of the Puget Sound collects a ton of fish that aren’t even traveling to Inland waters in Canada and Washington. Many migratory fish spend days or even weeks feeding near the entrance to the straits before traveling to their home waters. Fish from Northern California have been caught ‘inside’ at Neah Bay. While this phenomenon may even extend inland to Sekiu, I don’t think many fish venture that far.
    2. The stronger current and ‘dramatic’ underwater structure combine to create powerful up-wellings and rip currents that concentrate fish closer to the surface. Fly fishermen do much better when fish are closer to the surface.
    3. Most of the fish at Neah Bay are ‘feeding’ fish, rather than traveling or staging fish. I’ve seen pods of fish moving steadily at Sekiu that were quite picky. I believe these fish spend time fattening up at Neah Bay or farther out at Swiftsure until the last minute. They then make straight for their home rivers where they continue to mature sexually.
    4. There are more Rockfish at Neah Bay. More habitat and more food produce more fish.
    These are my personal observations. I still fish Sekiu at least a few times a year. Sekiu is the Makah word for ‘calm waters’. While this is not always true, conditions tend to be much flatter than at Neah Bay. The same powerful currents that concentrate bait and Salmon can stir up the water for boats too. Just like I mentioned earlier, even though Neah Bay ‘tends’ to be better, Sekiu is still great.
    Anil

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Great insight, Anil. Thanks.

I received a report today from someone who just came back from SE AK. Quite a number of coho already, and some up to 8 lbs. Bodes well for northern waters. I hope it 'trickles down' here. I'm heading to N. BC waters next month. Fingers crossed.

12. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Anil nailed about all the reasons, of course. Also, I don't know if fishing pressure is much of a factor, but there is much more fishing pressure at Sekiu than at Neah Bay, too.

But, as Anil said, the major factors that, also in my opinion, make Neah Bay a superior fishery to Sekiu are the currents caused by the bottom structure and the combined mixture of feeding (important term here) fish that are travelling to CA, OR, WA, and BC. Feeding fish at Sekiu, IMHO, are typically only WA fish. And, later in the year, say late September or October, the fish going through again are fish bound for WA waters only.

So, I believe Anil's contention that Neah Bay seems to produce better than Sekiu for fly anglers is very accurate. :)

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Roger, I believe that's much more boat than my Alaskan; wider, heavier, deeper. Hey, if it can handle you AND Rohrbach, that's a heck of a boat! <grin>

Smaller boats like yours and mine don't seem to be as much at risk at Sekiu as they would at Neah Bay, but on calm days at Neah they would work fine. It's just trying to find a calm day. Note, as much. And, in both locations the conditions can turn bad pretty quickly, maybe a little quickly for our little 25'.

14. Salmo_Gairdneri

Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

My wife and I fished out of Neah for 3-7 July. We found a few salmon but it was very slim pickings. About the same as last year at this time and infinitely fewer fish than 2 and 3 years ago.

Part of the issue probably related to the incredibly small tide changes. The lack of currents seem to make it harder to locate salmon. We didn't see much to speak of out at Swiftsure either. We did a lot of running around (~50-60 miles each day) and we did not 1 time see any salmon on the surface. It is normal to see that fairly frequently along with birds etc. We did see a number of active bait balls that were herded up by diving ducks so it seems like the bait situation is better than last year.

Still, relatively few salmon at the docks and according to the fish counters. We spent much of our time playing with Lings down the coast.

We also didn't encounter a single other flyfisher this year. Last year there were a bunch of us fly jokers out there over the 4th.

Cheers,

-tony