Neah Bay report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ira and I left at 2 am Friday morning to head out and spend three days fishing with Chris Bellows. When Chris got ahold of me last week I was eager to get the chance to fish with someone who knows Neah Bay so well.

After an uneventful drive out we met Chris at the launch around 5:30 and after introductions we were on the water rounding Wadah Island in no time. As we cruised out to the targeted fishing grounds north of Tatoosh we were quickly enveloped in a thick fog, something that would be a trend on this trip.

We arrived to the area Chris wanted to target and soon found a nice choppy rip where we set up and began casting.
    The drill was simple.... set up on top of a rip, shut the boat off, and begin casting. We were fishing clousers on heavy sinking heads. I was using 30' of T 17 on my 10 wt as it was what i had available, but Chris' setup of 25' of T 14 on a fast 8 wt was really the ideal tool.
    My boat fly fishes 2 comfortably so we rotated out as we pounded all the likely water for several hours. We saw no bait, no fish....nothing. Just no fish around.
    Eventually we tired of fighting fog and not finding silvers, so we headed to a spot Chris said was good for rockfish. After getting our drift set up we all began casting and catching big, fat, strong black rockfish. Lots of them. As in a fish a cast for as long as we could stay on them. I dont know how long we fished that spot, but at least 2-3 hours.
    These fish were incredible. These were the biggest sea bass ive ever played with. They fought so strong. They would take my 10 wt right to the cork.
    Ira, of course, had to bust out a floating line, indicator, and his patented balanced clouser and proceeded to catch fish under the indicator...in the Pacific ocean.

After more action than i can really describe the wind and currents made it too difficult to stay on the drift so Chris suggested we head for a small, rocky cove he knew was nearby where we could get out of the wind. We cruised in there and spent a couple more hours catching rockfish.
    Eventually we decided to head into the straights and do some searching. At one stop Chris had a follow and Ira hooked up briefly, but that was it.
    Around 2 pm we were picking up to run to a different spot when my motor made a surging noise and started vibrating and bouncing and making all kinds of noise. The boat slowed way down instantly. I stopped the motor and after some investigation we discovered that one of the three blades on my prop had sheared clean off. Luckily we were not that far away from NB and were able to putz in on the kicker.
    As we trolled in we discussed the prop. I spun a prop on May 1st and this was a brand new replacement a few days later. Initially after installation the boat ran good, though i quickly figured out that it was not the correct prop for heavy loads and big ocean swell. After a few outings of running good i started to have problems. The motor just didnt seem to have any power. I would be wide open throttle and it would top out at 4100 rpm everytime. When i first installed the prop it ran at 5100 WOT. This lack of power issue went on for a couple months until recently when it just went away. I took the boat out twice and it ran great with full power. The day before heading to NB i took it out and it ran fine. However mid morning on friday it was back to the same. We would go move spots and only be able to go about 12-14 mph top speed. Well as we discussed the broken prop on the slow journey back to the dock we theorized that perhaps i got a bad prop from the store and that maybe that prop blade has been slightly broken and working back and forth, changing how the motor would run, until it finally just gave out and broke.
    After we got in and pulled the boat out we headed to where Chris was camped. I dropped off the boat and hauled butt to the local marine mechanic shop in Sekiu where i was greeted with an extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff who got me set up with a brand new prop/hub. The broken prop was a 19 pitch so i opted for a 17 pitch to get increased lower end push. I got back to camp and quickly replaced the prop after which Chris and I took it out for a quick test run. All seemed well.

The next day, fishing wise, was about the same. Spent the morning fighting fog while searching for salmon, then spent the rest of the time catching rockfish till our fingers could hardly take it. I cannot over emphasize how much fun these fish are on the fly. So strong, and so aggressive. Chris managed to get several to come up to his popper, and if i can figure out how ill post some sweet video i took of a popper hookup. No need for a stinger with these fish thats for sure. I did manage to hook one stray silver while targetting rockfish but that was it for thr day. Around 3 or so the wind was kicking up pretty good so we dropped Chris at the dock and Ira and I headed out and did some gear fishing where we managed a few rock fish and Ira got a nice keeper ling that fought like a heavy weight.

Saturday night we made a plan to buddy boat with a friend of Chris who had radar. This would enable us to run out across the shipping lanes out to Swiftsure bank. We decided Ira would ride in Chris' friend Tony's boat and we would follow. We left the dock around 5:30 and after a foggy, but decent run we stopped on the edge of the bank in 700+ feet of water. There were some birds around and Tony mentioned this is the area he had been seeing some fish. I grabbed my rod and made a cast, and Chris grabbed his and just sorta fed out some line getting situated. I let my line sink a bit, then made about 4 strips and hooked a silver. We fished hard for two days and i had just the one silver hookup and here on my first cast ever at Swiftsure i hook up. Yes! After coming tight on the fish i looked over and see Chris is also hooked up on his first "cast". Shortly after my fish came unbuttoned so i sat ny rod down to help Chris.
    As i watched him fight this fish it became obvious this was not a small silver. It never jumped. Just kept making long runs straight down. I kept saying "This has to be a king" and while im sure Chris agreed, he didnt say too much as i dont think he wanted to jinx it. Chris' 8 wt was bent to the cork. His reel screeming as the fish just sounded over and over, each time Chris working him back close. Finally the fish was near the boat and i just slid the net past its head when it surged and took off. Luckily i was able to pull the net back without catching the hook, and a minute or two later was able to successfully net what i estimate to be around 18 lb chinook. Oh man what a fish....king on the fly in 700'. Doesnt get much cooler than that.
    After the excitement settled down we split up from the other boat and began to search for fish. The fog made it difficult to locate bird activity, and the fish were never super concentrated, but we found a fish or two at many of our stops to fish. At one point we ran back to Ira and Tony who were set up over a nice ball of herring that coho were actively feeding on. I was able to get a couple casts right into the bait before we lost it in the fog and received multiple strikes each time.
    A little while later i got my first fish bucktailing, which was cool for trolling.
    Around 2 we decided we had had enough of the fog, and called it a day. On the run back in we spotted some active birds and slowed to check it out. Tony saw us slow behind him and quickly came over to tell us there was a big ship coming quickly. We then heard the fog horn...it was not far... time to go! Tony pulled into the lead and we hauled ass as hard as we could.... it was pretty scary. We could not see anything in the fog, but we could hear the horn getting louder over the sound of my wide open 2-stroke. It seemed like it was right behind us! After a very tense few minutes Tony slowed to inform us we were out of the shipping lanes. He also told us the vessel, whatevee it was, was moving along at 35 mph and went right thru where we stopped about 90 seconds after we took off! Holy cow. Scary stuff and good reminder as to why playing in the fog without radar is not the best idea. Thankfully we were with someone equipped to see in the fog.
    After that scare the rest of the run back was smooth. The fog never cleared until we rounded Wadah and headed into the harbor.

In all it was truly a great time. We experienced some fantastic fishing and even with the fog saw some amazing things. We had porpoises swimming all around and under the boat, came across a sea lion gorging on a huge king right next to the boat, saw a sea otter, and Ira even caught a bird on a clouser.
    More than anything else i wanted to take this opportunity to learn from Chris, and learn i did. So so much. From tips for using my electronics to fishing techniques and locations, Chris taught me an awful lot. I simply cannot thank him enough for his patients and generosity. I tried to soak up as much as i could. I cant wait to get back and put what i learned to use.

Neah Bay is an amazing place. So beautiful and so much to offer the saltwater fly fisher. I really encourage anyone who gets the chance to fish out there to jump on it. The rockfish alone make it worth it. I simply cannot describe how much fun that is.

I took lots of pics, and got some great video including Chris fighting his king. If i can get them off the camera one of these days ill add them.

Many thanks to Chris and Ira for being great company, as well as helping me through the expensive prop disaster. Couldnt have done it without their help. As for the new prop... well, its now a whole new boat. The motor ran so good and so strong both days, including the long run to the bank yesterday. Amazing what a prop can do.

Amazing.... I had a nympher and a swinger in my boat for three days and everyone lived to tell about it ;)

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Aaaaah! I hate you :) I need a boat, or a certain friend of mine with deeper pockets to buy one so I can bum a ride cause I've been wanting to go to neah for years now

Thanks for the report nick, good read.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Great report Nick. I'm glad you all had some great fishing and a safe trip. The big king on the 8wt must have been amazing.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Sounds like a great trip, except that fog tanker scene that is.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    NICE!!! Great read to get my day started at work! :) The rock fish part sounds friggin' AWESOME!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Great report Nick !!!! Thanks for sharing it.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  7. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    excellent report!!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Nice to hear a few more details! Great report! The king and the rockfish sound like some good times!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Nice! I've only been out there once and it was easily the most fun I've had fishing....anywhere!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  10. emmccauley

emmccauley Active Member

Fantastic report Nick - awesome!

Nick Clayton likes this.
  11. CLO

CLO They seem me trollin'

Media:
    Does this mean NB is going to be crowded now?

Irafly, JesseC, Nick Clayton and 4 others like this.
  12. holtad

holtad Active Member

Awesome report. Looking forward to seeing the photos and video if/when you get'em up.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  13. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:

lol. That was my first thought too.

Nick Clayton and CLO like this.
  14. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

There are now going to be long lines at the boat ramp so be prepared to wait your turn;) .

Roger

Nick Clayton likes this.
  15. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Boat ramp hell. They well be lined up from Neah Bay to San Francisco Bay trying to find Nicks secret Bass Hole. Way to go Nick you had to tell everyone about it didn't you.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  16. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Nobody wants to find Nick's bass hole.

17. CLO

Media:

Post of the day award.

mtskibum16 and Nick Clayton like this.
  18. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    My bass hole got a little smaller and harder to find after the big ship in the fog adventure.

19. CLO

Media:

Nick, can we get a pic of that king?

20. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    As soon as i can get to an actual computer so i can get the pics off my camera ill have one for ya