Neah Bay Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Anil, May 3, 2005.

1. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    This is a copy of a report that I posted on our website. If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact us at 253-839-4119 or pugetsoundflyco@comcast.net.

Neah Bay - May 2nd, 2005
    RECORDED: 67 ° FISHING: Excellent
    Neah Bay consistently offers saltwater anglers the best fishing in the Northwest. We at Puget Sound Fly Company hope that this report will help anglers plan their trip and prepare them with up to the minute conditions.

FISHING: Neah Bay was incredible this weekend. The water was flat and the sun was shining. Now that the Lingcod season is open up here, there were more boats on the water and Big Salmon was finally open. Ibn, Corey and I caught 6 different species on the fly: Lingcod, Kelp Greenling, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Canary Rockfish, and Blue Rockfish. In addition to these fish, we saw the Sea Lions bringing up (and dining on), quite a few Blackmouth. I know that everyone can’t make it up here but we haven’t seen any other fly fishermen since September ’04?

Check our photo gallery in a few days for some pictures!

FLIES: Shock and Awe, F.F. Herring, Clouser Minnow

Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

2. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ling on a fly... Man, that sounds like fun!

3. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Yeah, my mom's husband doesn't believe me that people can catch lings on a fly..

4. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
  5. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Halibut on Resurrection Bay up in Seward, AK on a 10wt(a tad light). It can be such a great time! Don't overlook fishing off the jetties.
    Mike

6. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I use a 10 when fishing for halibut from the beach, and you're casting more. From a boat, in deep water, I use a 13. Most of the time it's too much, but I'd hate to be short on a 'but!

Jeff

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Has anyone fished off of Waahdah(sp?) Island for mackerel during June? I ran into some several years ago, though that was before I got into ff'ing. That would've been a blast on a 6wt!

8. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    You will find even more Mackerel further offshore than in the Straits. Typically they are very aggressive. If you are interested in targeting them they seem to eat typical salmon flies, fished deeper.
    On a side note, the ‘Pacific Jack Mackerel’ is not a true Mackerel. As their name indicates, they are a member of the Jack family.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

9. rockfish

rockfish Member

I remember the el nino of the early-mid 90's and mackeral were everywhere up there, 2 many it seemed, and my dad caught a tuna in the san juan islands then also but salmon fishing did suck, wasnt nuthing like now it seemed