Neah Blah report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ibn, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I spent M/T/W out at Neah Bay, the weather was terrible except for this morning, foggy, raining, windy. The salmon fishing was pretty slow for neah bay standards - we only landed 4 fish and lost a few others. It seems like a lot of the fish have moved out or moved on. These same dates last year I had the single best day of fishing I've ever had in my life out there, what a change a year can make.

The good news is that it seems some of the rockfish seem to become more aggressive and spread out when the salmon aren't around to eat a lot of the bait, well that's my guess at least. I was catching them right on the surface (stripping for salmon) and a couple out in the middle of the straits while trolling, which was very odd and unusual. I wont complain though, caught a lot of them, and a lot of very big ones, 2 6pounders, and a few 5pounders. Just odd.

I took my dad and an aunt and uncle with me, they couldn't handle the typical 10 hours of fishing till your fingers bleed and your thumb is hamburger, so I spent about half the time fishing alone, a first for me out there. I really enjoyed it, was the first time in a while I had fished totally alone without anyone in my visual range. For some reason the fish I caught while I was alone seemed a lot more meaningful to me then when I have other people in the boat.

Also saw a pod of killer whales right off tatoosh, was able to witness them harvesting a small seal. Quite a sight to see in person, I didn't understand what was going on at first, there was a seal sitting realllly close to the boat, at one point I thought it was trying to get in, then we saw the whales and I figgured out what was up, I fired up my kicker and putted out of the way and watched them circle in and take the seal, it was an intense event to see. I have some pictures on my Aunt's camera, hopefully she will email them soon so I can post.
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Neah blah, blah, blah, I think not. The seal event would have made the whole trip worth while. I've heard that it's not the local pods that go after seal. It seems to be rouges that just travel around. Be nice if they would travel around the locks.
  3. Curtis New Member

Bothell
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    One less seal!!
  4. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Yeah Matt, I wish the local killer whales would develope a bloodlust for sea lions or seals. I haven't had it happen to me in the sound, but I cant count the number of times a Seal has nabbed my rockfish out at Neah Bay. They're smart, they see a boat, they know food will be on a leash if they wait around enough.
  5. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Cool report, sounds like a fun & interesting trip. We lost a rockfish to a seal out in the same area a couple weeks ago.

Where do you tend to stay when you're out at Neah? Our housing last time was dry...but i think that's about all I can say for it.
  6. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    What are you talking about? You guys had the plush room!
  7. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    hahah! Alpine, it was only plush after seeing your room! Just asking so I don't have to listen to the grumbling next trip!

Kristin
  8. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    I usually camp. I used to camp at The Cape motel/rv pit, but now I camp at Hobuck campground with all the surfers. If I arrive late at night I just pull over on the side of the road between Sekiu and Neah Bay, there are several pullouts that you can park a boat in and then walk down to the beach to sleep on the sand. I'm usually too lazy for that, I just crawl in my truck bed and toss a tarp over the top. I don't like the road camping though, the trucks come rolling by at like 4am and wake you up every 10 min.

This last trip I stayed at the Tyee, we had 2 rooms, they're far from desireable. I've stayed at quite a few motels out there and all of them are Funky in their own way, what it has come down to, is that the Tyee is DIRECTLY across the street from the marina. When someone else is paying for the room, that's where I recomend we stay, otherwise I camp. I do most of my trips as cheap as I can given the cost of gas to get my boat from Tacoma to there.

Where did you guys stay?
  9. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Oh, we were at the Cape, and I really don't mean to dog it too badly. More of what you noted - each place has its own 'funky' features. I think that I know exactly what campground you mean - the one of the left when you are leaving town. We may try that next time, appreciate the tip.

Kristin
  10. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    Kristin,
    Hobuck beach is on the other side of the Rez. It is right on the ocean, in Mukkaw bay.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com
  11. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Oh - duh, I better get a map out and take a look. Thanks for the info, seems like camping might be the way to go next time.

thx again.
  12. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    I'm a sucker for a campfire anyway, something about zoning out after fishing all day starting at a fire makes me happy. You can have them on the beach at Hobuck, or right at your campsite.
  13. Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

Snohomish, WA
    I'd sooner share the precise Lat/Long of my favorite bottom fish rises than inform people of Hobucks!

That Tyee is a really terrible place and a tinderbox waiting to go up in flames. Do they still have a huge pile of construction wood you need to scramble over to get to the stairs?

-t