Need a little help, here...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Citori, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

I want to build a rod as a gift to someone who has worked hard for us on fish issues. I know he's a trout fisherman, and I want to build him a rod I don't think he'd ever get himself. I'd like to build a 1wt. or 2 wt. rod. I have built small rods in the past, but I am not sure what to get for this one.

I would appreciate your suggestions on a blank, how small do dry lines go?, and perhaps small size limitations on reels.

Thanks

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

How about a nice bamboo blank finished by you?
    I don't know of any trout fisherman that wouldn't love to have a custom built one-of-a-kind bamboo rod in a 2wt.
    Here's one good source by a well known local maker (Dennis Stone) from here in the Pac. N.W.;
    http://www.stonerodco.com/about-2/

Tim Cottage and Mike Ediger like this.
  3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Sage has a line called the Quiet Taper that is available down to 1-weight, I have the line on my 2-weight. It's half the diameter of a standard line - great line! I have this on a Sage 3100 clicker reel - great reel! I love this set up, it's one of my babies. The rod is an Orvis 1-oz (before they started calling em superfine) full flex - goes down to the butt. It's landed up to 20" fish while looking like a U, and makes small fish feel big. So, I don't know what to tell you re blanks, but I'm a huge fan of orvis full flex graphite.

Cheers

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I might suggest a 3 weight if you want to build on the light end of the spectrum... 1 and 2 weights are simply too limiting IMO. The next question is length and whether you think he'll use it more for bushwhack or traditional streams...an 8' would be my choice...and since I have built a couple of the 5FF793.4 blanks and can attest to the quality of their action. Lots of choices of great quality reels.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/pdfs/2013_Fly_Blanks.pdf

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

If you could find an old Sage LL blank in a 2wt. it would be very nice. I have one and love that rod. It is a 7'-9". Very sweet.

6. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

2wt would be perfect. No it won't be optimal in 40mph winds but its so much fun in the majority of conditions.

Lines are made all the way down to 000weight, which is smaller than 00, 0, and 1 wts (in that order). Rios LT line has both a double taper and a weight forward version in those weights. I have the WF version on my 2wt and love it.

For reels I'd suggest a battenkill, sage 3100, or sage click. All are light weight and balance nicely on 2wts

7. ribka

ribka Active Member

Built my2 wt with a Scott fiber touch blank. Wonderful rod. Can still find them with effort

8. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I have a great 2/3wt fiberglass rod built by forum member Matthew LeBret. Definitely unique. I don't know what the blank is, but you could contact him for the blank used.

9. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I have a 2 wt custom Sage LL rod that is a delight. I bought the blank from
    Patricks fly shop some years ago and had a commercial rod builder wrap it for me. I am a real bogus dude when it comes to wrapping rods. It is a 279 LL and I hang a Hardy Flyweight reel on it. Great combination. I have it loaded with a WF 2 wt line, but I am thinking that a 2 wt DT would be a better set up.

10. dfl

dfl Active Member

Type in gattiusa and see what they have. They are one of the top euro rod companies.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Quit thinking, it's not good for your old brain. When you get old it's best to just do.

12. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

If you're looking for something really special, and also new and cool (but not cheap), Tom Morgan recently introduced a line of fiberglass rods. He is primarily interested in selling the blanks, which run about $300 for the 2-piece blank (http://www.troutrods.com/fiberglass.html). The lightest are 3 weights. I'm trying to figure out how to justify buying one for myself, but I think the kid's college tuition comes first...

13. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Actually, I ended up putting a 3 wt. DT on it and it works fine.

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I was kinda thinking along those lines. Love that rod and reel though.

Thanks for the heads up.