Need advice! - Eastern OP Rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Bucci, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Paul Bucci

Paul Bucci New Member

Hey guys and gals, first post here.

I'll be visiting the Olympic Peninsula area from Aug 29 to Sep 1 with my girlfriend, and I'm hoping to sneak some fly fishing into my itinerary. (I've been wanting to fish this area for a long time, but I haven't had the time or funds to plan a proper fishing trip.) We'll be staying in Port Townsend for two nights, but I also convinced her that we should do one night of camping as well. So we'll be staying at Brown Creek Campground near the confluence of South Fork Skokomish and Brown Creek.

Anybody familiar with these waters that would be willing to lend some advice? In the little bit of research I've done, it seems like there should be mostly Cutts, Rainbows, maybe some salmon. I also gather that there are some Bulls, but they shouldn't be targeted. I checked the regulations, and as far as I can tell, I'm OK to fish that portion of the Skokomish in late Aug-early Sep. I hope I'm not missing something!

I'll be bringing relatively little gear - a 6 wt (because I plan to fish the Puget Sound for SRC also), probably a floating line and an intermediate line, and a few fly boxes. On the South Fork Skoke, should I plan on nymphing primarily? Dry-dropper rigs? Any particular flies I should make sure to have? I'll definitely have plenty of copper johns in various colors and sizes, caddis larva/pupa, stoneflies of various colors/sizes, egg patterns, etc.

Hoping somebody can lend me some helpful advice! Thanks in advance!

2. when in doubt swing it out

Broderick Smith likes this.
  3. don't be a wiener chuck a streamer

Broderick Smith likes this.
  4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I haven't fished there, but I was told that if I go, then fish upstream quite a ways from the campground. Study your map, and try to drive up a bit farther, and then find your way to the river. Don't know how the fishing is, but there are supposed to be rainbows, cutts, and bull trout in the river.

5. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Well said