Need advice from float tube veterans

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jaysus, Jan 27, 2002.

1. jaysus New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've decided my lifestyle requires a float tube and I could use some pointers on the merits of the various brands and designs. The new v-shape design with a hull shaped ass end strikes me as a good idea, as does the elevated seat platform I've seen on some of the newer designs. I can't shell out the $350 for one of those fat cat numbers that look to be state of the art, but I have seen one by the same company for $135, and another by caddis for $100 that have the same design. Truth be told I've never actually sat in one of these things so I don't have an idea what's important and what's fluff, but I want one that I won't feel the need to upgrade (like all my other gear).
    I'm still a little shell shocked by the last apocalypse I caused on this board, so to make my intentions clear and leave no doubt, I don't plan on snagging salmon from it, dragging gill nets, dropping depth charges etc, and I will beg forgiveness from anyone who doesn't approve of personal flotation devices.

any help is greatly appreciated,
    Jaysus the Infidel
  2. Trout Master Active Member

I myelf now have a pontoon, But i still have my float tube that I bought 8 years ago. I think the most important thing is to be able to carry it. Mine has back pack straps for ease of hiking. Also has d-rings to carry my bucks bag ,bag that fits in the seating area that will carry my wadders,fins,booties ,etc. I use it now for the hike in lakes. So I think whats important is its versatility. :THUMBSUP
  3. FishPirate New Member

Darrington, WA, USA.
    Jaysus,
    I purchased a "Fish Cat" a year and a half ago for $100, and have been very happy with the decision ever since. I like sitting a little higher---it is easier to cast, requires less effort to move around, and I stay a bit warmer. At the same time, it is lightweight and portable--although the foam for the seat is a little bulky. For the money, I couldn't pass it up.

Good luck.
  4. Greg Moore New Member

Ellicott City (Baltimore), Md.
    Equally important is the type of fins you get. I think that the Force Fins brand are the best. Get the adjustable over the boot type. You get much more propulsion on each stroke versus the more ridgid thype of fin. As for float tubes, I originally had a u-boat float tube but bought a Woodriver - gliderider v-boat. I feel I have better control of the tube, it moves quicker through the water (the force fins help a lot as well) and working against the wind the v-boat really moves! It has the backpack type straps to pack it in to the lake and lots of d rings and attached pockets for storage. You can buy add - on storage also. They are a little pricey but there are 4-5 different models.

Check on-line or at a fly shop for more info.

Good luck! :THUMBSUP

Greg
  5. callibaetis Guest

I would go with the Fishcat. I think that it is made by Outcast under its entry/chain store label. Meaning that is is basically the same thing. I used float tubes for a couple of years. My first tube was a uboat from GIjoe. The bladder blew out when I left it inflated on my front porch in the sun. Then I got a hold of an old Caddis tube with a regular inner tube. No bells and whistles just a couple of pockets and a low back rest. This has been my best tube but the possibility of a catastrophic failure of the inner tube was always in the back of my mind. My advice is to get something simple and with a bladder that you feel is safe, so consider the Fishcat.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +659 / 5
    Hey Jaysus, I have one Ii'm about to put up for sale. I rarely used it. PLaned on doing alot more high country fly fishing for trout and never did. It's a nice Cadis U boat, mouth inflator so you don't need a tire inflator. Ii am throwing in my trout net and the cadis stocking foot fins (these are thelong blade type that give yo extra thrust).

I want $90 for whole package. Just add waders/rod and go.

You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts.
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +202 / 0
    Jaysus:

Sounds like Steelheader69 has proposed an offer you can't refuse! I'd take it.... I like the U-tube since your knees don't hit the tube when kicking. Also, they are easier to get in and out of than a round tube. The mouth inflater is the way to go, don't have to carry a tire pump. Make sure you deflate it a little when traveling, especially if it's in the trunk. As noted above, they can blow out as the weather gets hotter.

Good luck.
  8. ChucknDuck New Member

Menlo, WA.
    Well, all the advise above is sound and SH69's offer sounds like a good one to get into. My personal preference is for my old Bucks Bag Hi and Dri, a conventional round tube. I own a WoodRiver Stealthrider and never have gotten used to the open bow when sitting low to the water (the wife gets to use this one). Guess I'm lazy and like to rest my rod on the front of the tube. However, mobility is better served by the U or V shaped tubes. Be carefull with the bladders of the Fishcat type boats as they can burst easy if over inflated. I did this to one o my friends Super Fat Cat tubes a couple of years ago. Guess I like the durability and bombproof nature of the older style round tubes with truck tubes in them. My Bucks Bag was purchased in 1987 and after heavy use is a bit faded but has no problems with the stiching or zippers failing.

Nowadays, I tend to use my Watermaster in lakes...easier to row than to kick and the large stripping apron lets me be lazy and rest my rod.

Go Cougars!!
  9. fishnfella New Member

Grand Coulee, Washington, USA.
    Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

:TSKTSK
    Several guys have warned ya to deflate your tube when ya travel and or expose it to warm temperatures. What some don't realize is that large elevation changes are even more dangerous than temperature changes. I couldn't believe that a half inflated tube or pontoon looks bloated when you go from valley bottom to mountaintop in Canada. Play it safe. Inflate it when you get where you're going if you fish the mountain lakes.