need backpackers float tube anyone used outcast Trinity

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by fishingfever69, Mar 27, 2005.

1. fishingfever69 New Member

Nelson, BC
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Has anyone had any experiences with these float tubes? I'am looking to purchase a lite weight backpackable float with a urethane bladder that would also work well on larger lakes. I am interested in the duability and performance on the water, as well as keeping the weight to a minimum. If you have any other sugestions, I would enjoy hearing them.
    Tite lines!!! :beer2:
    Jim
  2. Flyfishsteel New Member

GH,WA
    Uh, in my opinion the Outcast trinity is the BEST most durable and portable float tube in the world! Spendy, but worth a lifetime.

PS: I've had the Outcast fat cat for 5 yrs now and performs flawless!

Good luck!
  3. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I have a 4 1/2-pound Sevylor one -person coated nylon raft, complete with plastic oars and an inflation/storage bag (not needed, as it inflates by mouth in a few minutes). It's certainly not an all-around raft for larger lakes, since it travels at belly boat-speed, but it's wonderful for hike-in mountain lakes. I got it on sale for $50 a few years ago.
  4. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    I had a review of the Trinity published in F&TJ a couple of issues back. I used it pretty extensively throughout the previous summer. It's an excellent choice for lakes where there's any hiking to be done; very light, fits into a comfortable pack and includes its own double-action pump. The only shortcomings that I found were its light weight and (with the canoe-like prow)fairly high profile, which made it rather sensitive to winds. The inflatable seat makes for a fairly high and dry (and therefore warm) seating position; unfortunately that also sticks your body higher up into the wind which translates to more sail area and, since your knees are a little higher, a less efficient kicking stroke. I don't mean these as serious detractions, all float tubes are compromises. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get the tubes aligned properly but once that was done I had no further problems. I liked it and would recommend it highly.

Cabelas has a new float tube similar to the Trinity (in fact, made for them by by Outcast) but without the pack and pump. It appears to be a bit lower profile and with a bit less kick-up at the bow. I haven't had it on the water yet but am looking forward to trying it soon.
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    I occasionally backpack into Alpine lakes and am always interested in the prospect of a lighter load. Outcast's web site states the Trinity weighs just 6 pounds, considerably lighter than my Trout Unlimited Gunnison which tips the scales at just under 10 pounds.

I like the idea of the Seyvor/Curtis rafts. Their very light weight and further weight savings by not needing waders, boots, fins, etc. is quite appealing. But their only means of propulsion is via hand paddles or a kayak paddle which makes them difficult to maneuver while fishing or in a stiff wind. Plus I understand that getting in and out often results in wet feet or worse . . .

But I guess life is all about compromises though, isn't it?

Sigh.

K
  6. Wimpywade94 New Member

Benton city Wa.
    I have a small raft from seyvor, its a fishhunter one i got last year on sale for 40 bucks, it has a weight capacity of 800+ pounds, and can take a 2 hp trolling motor,

I have fished out of it alot and can say i wouldnt get another, it is great for floating the part of the yak that flows through benton city, but not a good raft to fish out of in my opion, you dont stay dry, you dont have much veiw of the water, and you sit REALLY low in it, and flat with your legs out.

but thats my opinion

wade
  7. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I fish high lakes with a Curtis raft, which weighs around 26 oz. It's the best raft made for high lakes, imo. I also have a Sevylor raft that I use as a backup, or for hiking buddies who don't own a raft. It's actual weight is closer to 5 lbs than the 3.5 they advertise. They work, and they're cheap. In no way can they compare with the quality and worksmanship on a Curtis raft, though.
    Cliff
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,577 / 0
    I was also going to mention the Curtis Designs raft, but I couldn't recall the name off hand. The whole package, raft, hand paddles, and stow bag/pump weigh 2 pounds or less. This is the only solution I've found for backpacking, where I like to reduce weight and bulk as much as I can. The Curtis raft is like sitting in a balloon, however, and takes some getting used to feeling confident in something so light. It helps to use your thermarest or foam pad as insulation/floatation, elsewise you're sitting directly on the cold surface water of the lake.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
  9. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    Some years ago I acquired a one-man Sevylor raft that weighed almost nothing at all. I took it to Lenice a couple of times during the summer and immediately discovered a couple of interesting things:

1. Since it weighed so little and had no keel, it blew around like a leaf.

2. The kayak-style, double-ended paddle dumped a couple of tablespoons of water in my lap with every stroke (not so bad a thing on a hot summer day).

3. False casting caused the raft to rotate. After more than a couple of false casts you were no longer facing in the direction you initially intended to cast.
  10. Chris Stokesbary Member

Issaquah, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have a Trinity....love it.

Pros: Light, durable, quick to inflate, inflatable seats are comfy, seat height is above water, pockets on both sides, mesh platform in front for storage

The cons I'll be specific about.

As mentioned above, the seat height reduces kick power and makes you more vulnerable to wind. You won't win any float tube races in this thing.

The mesh stripping area is required, as it holds pontoons together at the front. The attachment of the stripping mesh to pontoons is via velcro strips through a D loop, and you don't want to be adjusting this out on the lake, so make sure you get it fastened securely in shallow water.

Don't put anything on that mesh platform behind you that you don't want to get wet. ;)

All in all I'm very happy with it. If I'm going to be on a lake where the wind is up or I need to get some distance covered I'll bring the South Fork. Like any other pontoon style thang, a rod holder is a nice extra.

Oh...and with a little flexibility you can reach the seat valves fairly easily, so I usually pump up the seats to tight, then let a little air out once I'm on the lake to find the comfort spot.
  11. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0

Great points, Preston. There's always a trade off with these ultralight boats. That's why I usually only use them in alpine lakes, where the super light weight makes off-trail backpacking to high elevations much easier. In lowland lakes (like Lenice) I almost always use my tube.

Cliff