Need decent but cheaper upgrade

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by MasterAnglerTaylor, Dec 6, 2009.

1. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So i go to all these cool places fishing and what not but i dont think the pictures my current camera takes do these places any justice. I currently have just a shitty camera i had from high school a couple years ago, one that was acceptable for having beer spilled on it and being lost for days.

I am mostly looking to take pictures of the scenery while out fishing, and maybe a fish if we ever catch any lol. I dont want anything to nice, just something basic, get a couple lenses with it and start working at learning to take better pictures.

Anyone had any experience with the canon eos rebel xt 300d or 350d?
  2. veilside180sx Member

Hillsboro, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    The 300D is the original base DSLR. The XT is a good current product line basic DSLR, as is the Nikon D3000, and capable of taking exquisite pictures.
  3. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    What would be a couple basic lenses i should get just to start?
  4. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    I have been very happy with my nikon dx40 and a 200mm zoom lens. it's not such a huge investment <$700 that you are afraid to expose it to some risk. great for scenery with a shorter lens and that zoom is wonderful for wildlife shots. I got camera armour for my birthday, $45 or so i think. the kevlar body makes this camera pretty easy to shoot with one hand and the image stabalizer means it stays clear. my other camera is an olympus non DSLR which also takes great pics and is much more compact. No extra lenses, but a
    10X zoom makes it handy and it has a closer focal length that that 200mm on the nikon. with the 200mm i can't get a shot of fish at arms length or in the net, won't focus and it's a pain to switch lenses on the water. There's lots of good cameras for just shooting fish pics, but I really prefer to be ready for that shot of a bear or sasquatch. i got lot's of fish pics.
  5. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    MasterAnglerTaylor - depending on your budget, there is a great range of cameras out now. Nikon D3000 is a cheap great camera. my friend just picked one up and he's loving it. the UI is very user friendly for beginners. If you want to spend a bit more, the Nikon D90 has some great reviews on it. Many people are saying the quality comes out just as nice as a much mroe expensive D300.

Canon's XT range of cameras are top notch for beginners as well.

For a couple basic lens's, i highly suggest a generic zoom lens. The Nikon 18-200 is a great lens but can be a bit spendy...alot of lens's you'll find for a cheaper price are roughly 18-55mm that can be used for a lot of general purposes.

If you want to go a bit more specific, I highly suggest a ultra wide angle lens for those scenery shots and possibly a fixed zoom lens at roughly 35mm or 50mm with a fixed aperture of 1.4 or 1.8 which is great for low light settings and all around general purpose.
  6. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    The Nikon 18-55 kit lens is likely one of the best "cheap" lenses out there. Clear through out its range and for a lot of people it is used as a macro lense instead of a more expensive dedicated macro lense.
  7. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    The Canon Xt seems to be a little cheaper and the reviews are overall pretty good on it. The kit also comes with the 18-55 lens. Im guessing there is not much of a difference in the the Nikon 18-55 lens and the Canon 18-55?
  8. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I've been shopping for a new DSLR myself. I stopped in a camera shop over the weekend and checked out the Nikon D5000. I left wanting the D90, so now I'm rethinking my price point. If you're considering a Canon, you might check out this deal for a Canon XSi with 2 kit lenses for $583 or the EOS Rebel XS for $459. The deals are through Amazon but the links are to a guy's blog who gives some details in ordering.
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Many years ago I was into shooting with a SLR camera. This was before Digital cameras. I had a Argus C-3 with all the bells and whistles that went with it. Telephoto lens and regular lens, 6 different types of filters, Light meter and flash defuser. Then I discovered the Digital cameras.

But I still have SLR camera with a telephoto lens on it. It is a Promaster 2000PK. 35MM. The lens is a 35-70mm. and it has a macro function on it. I just don't use it much anymore but it takes great outdoor shots. I should get back out and use it. But a digital camera is much easier to use..

Like I said I got it many years ago and at the time I think I paid around $250.00 or more.

No it isn't for sale. I use cameras until they wear out or get broke or they take a swim in water or sand. If I llok hard I might find my dads old 620 flim box camera.

Jim
  10. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    During black friday, there were several great deals for the new Canon Rebel line as well as the Nikon D3000.

Randall Dee - the D90 is a great choice. I shoot a D300 i bought a few years ago and many people say a D90 is just as nice since Nikon upgraded their sensors this past year.

Another brand some beginners might consider is the Sony Alpha line. They've really stepped up their cameras and their prices are great too. Only reason I would stick with Nikon or Canon is because of all the great deals you see on Craigslist. You can find a ton of great lens's for cheap and great condition on craigslist.
  11. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    One thing to note. I'm not sure if this is true for the new D3000's but the older D40's were great cameras MINUS the fact that the camera itself does not have an autofocus mechanism. This means you're limited to using lens's that have AF built into them. Isn't a huge problem since most NIkon lens's have AF built into them now but if you ever want to shoot older fixed lens's with manual focus, AF built into the body might be very helpful.
  12. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Others already mentioned a lot of good suggestions.
    another alternative, a good tripod
  13. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    This was the primary reason I left wanting the D90 over the D5000. That and the fact that the viewfinder was way better. I still want to look at some of the comparable Canons. D90's right now with a 18-105mm kit lens is $1149. Think they'll be any cheaper after Christmas?
  14. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    well i think i found a deal on a rebel xt...same as the 350. Where do you guys buy your lenses or where would be a good place to look for used ones? Thats if i decide to buy an extra lens right away. Still havent decided which one?
  15. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +302 / 0
    If you're interested, I've got a near new EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS I'll sell you. Spent 600 on it when I picked it up. I'd let it go for 350. Might let my XT go as well. No question that it's used. Never treated it like a princess, but works well and has a 4G card. PM me if any of that sounds of interest.
  16. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Dang Scoones, i woulda took that xt off your hands but i just picked on up. I will have to wait a little to pick up another lens but, if you still have that one i might hit you up when its time.
  17. MasterAnglerTaylor Member

Poulsbo/Pullman, WA
    Plus, im new to these kind of cameras so im gonna play around with the lens on it and go from there. Suggestion on lenses i should consider are still appreciated though.
  18. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    Randall, oddly enough, I've noticed its cameras don't get any cheaper until a newer model comes out. Even during Christmas season, the deals for dslr's aren't spectacular either. I've accepted that dslr's are an extremely expensive hobby, seeing as how quality lens's often cost just as much as the body itself. I for one, have way too many useless lens's that i haven't touched...i should stick to a couple general zoom lens's and perhaps a nice ultra wide angle and some fixed lens's at like 35mm or 50mm. I mostly use my 50mm 1.4 since it covers generally everything unless im looking for a scenic shot. oftentimes, i have to step back quite a ways to do that.
  19. NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Seattle,WA
    I was taught on an old 35mm manual camera back in the days that my father gave to me so I'm very used to using fixed lens's and most times actually prefer it. Alot of people say beginners are better off starting off with a fixed lens at 50 or 35mm because you're focused to really engage and be more intimidate with the object you're photographing.