Need help justifying...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Big E, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I'm about to drop a deposit on a vise. Rather not say which one until I have secured purchase. Let's just say that this vise falls into the totally unnecessary category.

I currently have a functional Renzetti 2000 that I use quite often. I enjoy tying probably as much if not more than I do fly fishing. I tie for myself, friends, and the occassional punter who likes what I turn out. I have no intentions of going commercial but tie a lot more than I use.

I probably have more material and crap than I will ever use and I keep buying more. I have totally unnecessary fly rods that don't get used as much as they should. I have flytying reference books that cost more than my overpriced school books.

Going to try and justify the purchase to the wife when I get home from the east coast. Only thing that I have is that I've spun it as an investment...most vises depreciate, this one will not. That and the fact that I've been working a lot of overtime. Needless to say that's all I got and if I can't convince myself, I've got no chance with her.

I need some help from you gear whores who have the lock on justifying totally unnecessary things on coming up with right justification.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    we don't justify purchases.... we just sneak them in to the house.
    Bradley Miller and Tacoma Red like this.
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Yeah but the usual "it was only 10 dollars" trick doesn't work as well as it used to.
  4. RonBraud New Member

Prairieville, Louisiana
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Spend as much or more on something for the Mrs. and
    don't worry about the justification. It has worked for
    me. First time I got my canoe and the wife got the
    cruise she always wanted. That was many cruises ago.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,695 / 0
    You want it. You can afford it. Life is short. You need no other justification.
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +692 / 0
    I'm an old bachelor, so I sneak nothing. However, try this: Honey, I really would like to buy this.
  7. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +982 / 1
    Well, we know who rules in that nest.:)
    Buy it, clamp it to the kitchen table, and start tying! And don't clean up your mess.:)
    Jack
    TD likes this.
  8. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Wrap it and put it under the tree and say that Santa brought it. Just make sure Santa is equally generous to your wife.
  9. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    it has to be either a J-vise or a Cotarelli. Either way, you get my vote. Go ahead, make that purchase.
  10. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    I agree, some purchases you just cannot go wrong because the demand is there and the value, it does not depreciate much if any.

Sounds like this vise will be a pleasure to tie with!
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

Sneaky as in the vise is in the car trunk. Take the fly tying room trash out to empty it and when you return the vise is hidden inside. Another way is disassemble the vis and bring a piece inside each day.
  12. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Did you find a LAW vice that someone is willing to sell? What ever it is, you are already aware of the extravagence.
    But maybe you can justify it in part by telling yourself and wife that it is the last vice you will ever buy. I say "in part" because it is always a good idea to have at least three good reasons in your pocket for something like this just in case someone can burn a big hole in one of them.

TC
  13. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +783 / 0
    Well, first my snarky comment...

A vise that requires a deposit? For real? I consider myself a rank amature gear whore now. I bow before your skills in gearwhoring.

Now my semi-useful comment...

You clearly love tying. The only justification I would offer is this. If you are passionate about something, do not wait. Life has an expiration, and you don't know when you'll be punched on the celestial punch card. If your purchase decision does not seriously harm you in some way, waiting to take action regarding one of your passions is foolish.
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,501 / 9
    You are an artist. The tools in use merely highlight the talent you bring to the table. Only the artist can determine the right combination of tools.
  15. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    I get dibs when she makes you get rid of it :)
  16. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Yep, you were right on with that one. Got the thumbs up.

I really got to stop spending so much time in hotels. Seems all I do is just trawl the web buying shit I don't need.

Probably going to order it the end of this week.
    David Dalan likes this.
  17. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    I liked that one a lot too. Not everyone understands justification for buying or doing something, but most people understand doing what makes you happy. And for someone that's not into your "thing" (whatever that is), that may be all they can understand about it. My ex-girlfriend likes Coach purses for a variety of reasons, most of which are lost on me. I mean, it's a purse. But they sure make her happy, and that I can understand and respect. I think she felt the same about a few of my hobbies.
    Josh Smestad likes this.
  18. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
  19. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    That first one looks like it was inspired by a bolt action rifle.
  20. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    Jeez...this is like asking the ladies at a titty bar if popping for a lap dance is the right thing to do.