need input on pontoon

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by mrod, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mrod

mrod New Member

am looking at a creek company 1220 2 man pontoon would like to have any input put on it or other 2man pontoons

2. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

My input is this...if you plan on taking it on any water of reasonable rockiness or bumpiness...Sauk, Hoh, Sol Duc, Calawah, etc.,...not just the really bad ones, but even the moderately tough runs, I wouldn't use that boat. The ODC's are not whitewater rated boats, and are not built to handle that stuff.

If you're looking to float the Skykomish, the Yakima, or motor around in the Snohomish or Skagit, then you will be fine with that boat...

A good whitewater pontoon boat costs quite a bit more than the ODC, though...

Skookum Steelheaders are the best in my opinion, though there are several other brands out there that make 12 foot, two man, whitewater rated boats...XStream, BlackBear, FishCat...there are also several threads about this from the last year or so, and a search of those might get you some more information.

Here's a pic of my Steelheader II Guide Model:

[​IMG]

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, and if you do a search, you'll find even more, but they all really boil down to what you plan on using the boat for...pontoon boats, even the big ones, run the gamut from glorified float tubes that are appropriate for still waters only, to full on heavy duty whitewater boats that can handle anything that any river around here can throw at you...not that I'd want to be on the sticks in every river that my boat can handle!

Fish on...

Todd

3. PT

PT Physhicist

It's a piece of crap but half the price (or less) than some of the others. It also depends on where you'll be using it. If you're going to fish Mineral Lk it'd be a great boat. Fishing the Sol Duc? I'd rather wade.

I wouldn't want to hit an obstruction sideways and have the force of the water fold the frame in half like a toothpick. I

I'm sure others will have a different opinion. Do a search on this site and you'll see this topic has been "discussed" repeatedly.

Here's a good starting point. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/search.php?searchid=151550

4. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

"Cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap!"

A ODC boat is "entry-level" at best. OK in a lake; questionable in any river with white water, jagged rocks and snags.

Buy a boat suitable for the WORST water you are likely to fish; you'll get much more pleasure from it than a "cheap" boat will ever afford you.

SuperDave

5. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    I have to echo everyone's thoughts on this point. What is your life worth? A good two man boat will set you back at least 2000. Unless you can find a Skookum or similar boat used. Don't skimp on oars, either. By the way, Tod, that's a fine lookin boat you got there. Bob.

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    They are all right as far as safety is concerned. I will offer this as a different perspective. You can run any river in a large gravel flood plain ie. (S river) with a 420 dolllar colaroado, no pun intended. You just get out at the tough spots and walk around. You can even tie rope to the front and keep the rope in the water.

Todd,
    I wouldn't fish with gear on the Sauk out of my toon ( or fish gear on the Sauk!) but us flyfisherman only need to use it for transport. :) I hope that I see you on the Sauk this spring, maybe talk some politics. :beer2: Oh and if you get the chance to cast the spey with the Fishin' Physician, take him up on the offer. Dude can two hand.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

7. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

We will get the two-handers out, fer sher...

Fish on...

Todd

8. Mel King

Mel King Member

Don't know if your still looking but I've been rowing North forks Outdoors for 3 years and love 'em. I have a 13' that can set up and handle 3 or 2 or 1.Their new 15' is a dream to row(had it for 6 mo) and I've really put it through the tests. It will take about anything you dish out.PM me if you want some personal photos or info.

9. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    I was impressed with the Waterskeeter guide pro II when I was shopping around. Depends on how you will use the boat. The North Fork Outdoors are as tough as you will find without stepping up to cataraft level. Creek Co. is a lake boat.

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have to agree with the NorthFork. We have the Two and Three man at the lodge and they are as easy to handle as our Drift boat.:thumb: