Need New Hiking Boots

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by dryflylarry, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 5shot

5shot Member

If you go with Danner (I have had and do have Danner Boots) you really need to check the label. My guess is that they make way more stuff in China than they do in the US. They were bought out by LaCross and it has been all down hill. At one of the trade shows I went to a couple of years ago, they had something like 30 different models of boots on display, and every one was made in China.

2. LD

LD Active Member

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I've looked hard at Asolos over the years. Their build quality and detailing is among the best in the market. But Asolos are built on narrower lasts than other brands and my poor, wide feet howl in protest whenever I try them on so I've never pulled the trigger on them. For those with narrow feet though, they're probably the brand of choice.

The very first sentence above hits the nail square on the head: since everyone's feet are different, what works for one might not for others. I've got wide feet; LD likely has narrow ones. The best advice in this thread is to try on as many pairs as you can and spend time walking around in them in the store before pulling out your money.

K

4. LD

LD Active Member

As far as the Aslo's, I wear a medium. A wide foot would not make it though.

5. Kent Lufkin

Guess I should have said 'narrower'! Compared with my swim fins, most other feet are narrow. Glad to hear you love your Asolos though. They have a great reputation.

K

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

good choice on the Vasques. I love mine - great fit and lightweight.

7. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Yes, they do make many boots overseas, but having touring their NEW Portland factory less than 2 months ago, I can assure you that virtually all of their all-leather boots are made right there in Portlandia. In fact, after the merger, LaCrosse moved all its domestic production out of the mid-west and into the Portland complex, too.

That said, many of the fabric/leather models in the hiking line are made in SE Asia. But then again, virtually every boot in that category, regardless of the brand, is made in SE Asia today.

8. 5shot

5shot Member

Good to hear that they are keeping the jobs in Portland (I lived in Vancouver for 15 year and shopped at the Danner Store often).

I don't know that I agree with the "Virtually all" portion though. I have seen many all leather boots with the China tag on them at stores such as Joe's Sporting Goods, Warehouse Sports, Sportman's Warehouse, etc.

I hope that they choose to bring more back to Portland. When I was looking to replace my Rain Forrests, I couldn't find a similar boot made in the US at local stores.

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

So, if you read this again Ken, do you know how the Superfeet inserts will affect my size and fit that I purchased? Will I need to change to a larger size or ....? Thanks.

10. 5shot

5shot Member

It depends - on my danners, I would need to go to a wider width to account for the extra bulk of the Super Feet.

11. ribka

ribka Active Member

Sierratradingpost.com

Asolos with 20 per cent off order.

Best boot under $200 .

Buy a good quality insole

For around$200 I like hanwags

12. Kent Lufkin

They shouldn't affect the fit of the boots at all. Just remember to remove the insoles that come with the boots when new and replace them with the Superfeet. I had plantar fasciitis really bad about 15 years ago so I've been wearing a custom orthotic ever since. Since I wear them everywhere, when I'm out trying on boots, I just pull out the insoles and plop in my orthotics before I even try on the boots.

The nice thing about Superfeet is you can buy several pair since they're pretty reasonably priced. My custom orthotics cost about $350 so if I forget them in one pair of shoes then I could be screwed if I get to a trailhead with my boots but no orthotics. Fortunately, I have a couple pairs of Superfeet as well which do a pretty good job as substitutes.

K

13. scottmel

scottmel Member

X2 on the lighter weight boots. Over the years I've been trying to become more of a minimalist when it comes to hiking with big weight on my back. The heavier the load the more support you'll need in your choice of boots. I have a lightweight pair of Montrail's that have held up really well.

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I just picked up a pair of Soloman Quad gtx. Lighter than my older two pair of boots. Super comfy, grippy and supportive. I'm going to enjoy many miles in these.

15. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I've got a ton of boots lying around, mainly due to the progressive collapse of my left arch, and the elongation of that foot. I have narrow feet anyway, and never find a pair that'll fit properly in Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. So, when Kenetrek came to the Puyallup Sportsmens' Expo, I tried on a pair. They were pushing $400, but fit like a glove, and that's what i wound up with on the elk hunt. Without those boots, I couldn't negotiate any sort of side hills at all, but even with my left foot issue then, it was doable! I'd buy another pair of hikers from them in half a heartbeat!

16. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

As a new age beatnik I find I only need a pair of chuck conners or I go barefoot. Going barefoot makes a person slow down and take the time to stop & smell the roses

17. DrFly

DrFly Member

Maybe I'm just partial to my combat boots, but I have a pair of Bates that are light as sneakers with soft quiet soles and support your ankle like no other I've found. While they're not specifically "hiking boots" they've been through hell and back and I still favor them for recreation. Danner used to be my go-to, but the last pair I bought had some rough seams which tore my feet apart despite a fairly decent attempt at breaking them in first.

18. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Larry, also remember that each and every boot will be different. I'm not talking brand and style, I'm talking each BOOT. So my advice is to go into a brick and mortar shop and try on boots. If you have to try on several pairs of the same size and style. Most places will let you mix up boxes as long as they are the same model boot. Walk around for a good thirty minutes if you have time in the store. Lace up the boots extra tight as well. Look for hot spots at the end of your in store hike and adjust accordingly.

As far as my favorite boot. I have had quite a few brands and models as I used to do a lot of hiking and alpine climbing. By far my favorite light hiking boot is the Vasque Sundowner. It is a full leather upper (longevity). A harder rockered sole, which the harder sole helps in rocky hiking. Your feet do not feel the rock points and thus lessens fatigue. the rocker sole helps with lessening fatigue on your calfs over longer hikes. I like synthetics but just not for extensive hiking. Synthetics just don't hold up or mold to your feet like good leather does. There is a good reason that most comfortable professional shoes on the market today are still made out of leather.

Ed Call likes this.