Need realistic yellow jacket pattern HELP!! Will pay $$

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jmara6864, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    Bees can't bite. They can only sting you
  2. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    When it comes to Yellowjackets, I wouldn't put biting past the little carnivorous bastards!
  3. fishunt Member

Spokane Valley
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    The latest Northwest Fly Fishing magazine has a article about bees (p. 12). The article also shows 4 or 5 patterns with a couple of them straight-forward ties. This has been a bad year for yellow jackets!
  4. Cti111 Member

Sammamish,Wa
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Galloup's site has a few nice bee flies. Try them like an attractor fly - you might be pleasantly suprised...
  5. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Um, that is soooo not true. Yellow Jackets and Bald Face hornets both bite and sting. Just ask my son :eek:

Those two bees bite him (and sting) more than anyone in our family. Poor kid must smell like a piece of rotten chicken to them.
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    On topic -- that's cool and weird. I count myself among people who see bee and wasp patters as mostly a novelty. I don't doubt the OP's description at all. It would be cool to see.

Off topic -- Bee's are quite different from Wasps.

Wasps can (and do) bite and sting repeatedly. Bee's (if I recall correctly) all die after they sting, sting once and cannot bite.

My latest, least favorite member of the Order is the "Goddamn Paperwasp" as I like to call them. They've been thick this year and I've been stung several times. I have a friend in the hills south of Spokane who is plagued by yellow jackets this year. The traps she puts out are nearly full after a few hours. Like thousands of them. There is a constant low hum at their farm from all the YJ. Hope for a hard winter.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I stand corrected. I haven't seen that many bees this year. A few Yellow jackets now and then, but no bees.
  8. Steve Bird Member

Northport Washington
    Ratings: +29 / 0

You are onto it. My opinion, yellowjackets are the most important terrestrial august-september. The imitation outfishes grasshoppers on my homewater. They hunt other insects over the water. The 'dipping' behavior is yellowjackets snatching tiny midges from the surface. here's my favorite: http://soft-hacklejournal.blogspot.com
  9. Steve Bird Member

Northport Washington
    Ratings: +29 / 0

Whoops. You'll have to scroll down through the October caddis article to get to the yellowjacket, but worth it all the way around.
    jmara6864 likes this.
  10. jmara6864 Active Member

Kirkland
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free