Need Sage LL (864 2-piece) replacement rec

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Don Perry, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Don Perry

Don Perry Member

It was a terrible mistake I'll probably regret the rest of my life;) . A couple of months ago I was fishing with my wife and let her use my 4 weight LL. It's been my go to dry fly rod for 20 years and is almost irreplaceable. She liked it so much better than the fast action 5 weights I own, that now, if we're fishing smaller dries, I can't pry it out of her hands. What sealed the deal, from her standpoint, was wading on her own, casting to a rising fish and landing her largest ever cutthroat (about 18") along with 8 or nine others. She did offer to let me fish the rod if she's not along.

Does anybody out there have a suggestion for a similar action 4 weight rod that won't break the bank? (It's for me, the domestic strife I'd get if I tried to swap rods with her isn't worth it.) I could probably get another LL but they're kind of pricey these days (see other thread) and I already (sort of) own one.

So the criteria are, 8'6", 4 weight, slow to medium action, under $200. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Redington CT

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

TFO Finesse.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

My two cents. Find a other less coveted Sage. Like a VSP. Talk it up real good. ;) Maybe, just maybe, you will get your's back.

Dupher and Kent Lufkin like this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I've got a Redington CT 8'6" 3 weight I find similar to the 389LL. I would think one weight heavier in a 4wt would do what you want. I paid $99 at Cabelas.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sage SP 4wt. Not quite as silky smooth as the LL but pretty damned close.

K

7. tightlines411

tightlines411 Member

As previously suggested, VPS light. Same action as LL, but cosmetically downgraded.
    Own two - 379-3. Within the price range and very sweet!!!

Although I own many older sage rods that include rpl, sp, and LL's, I enjoy the heck
    out of these two rods. They have become my favorite, lined with floating and
    camo intermediate lines. For me, not necessary to pay premium prices, when
    these rods are more affordable and just as pleasurable. Good luck, JM

Happy wife, happy life........she gets the prize!

8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Scott SES if you can find one. Usually about $175-225 and very pretty. I have two from that series (803 and 905) that I won't part with, ever.

Or you could possibly find a T&T LPS for ~$200 if you're lucky.

Or just get a CT for half that.

9. Yak

Yak Member

Great suggestions, VPS light or Redington CT seems the right way to go.

10. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Vpsl, spl, ct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk