Need spey advice

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Trevor, Feb 18, 2005.

1. So I was out fishing with Jay (luv2flyfish) and Jerry... Jay was using a spey rod and frankly I was impressed how well it worked the water. I have been out to Carnation for the spey clinic twice and while it was facsinating, I guess I wasn't blown away. Watching Jay work the water effortlessly changed my mind. I'm not going to be giving up my single handers, but for fishing bigger moving water, I think that it definitely looks the a good tool to have. So I'm going to have a new addition to the aresenal.

I found a 9140-Traditional (used) at a price I can afford. I think that I have settled on the 8/9 Rio Midspey with tips for the line. So what about the reel? How do you know which reel is big enough without being too big?

I found one thread on it, but it was over a year old. What are the current thoughts? A tioga #10? #12? Something I don't know about?

Thanks for your help.
    Trevor

2. Trevor,

I don't know specifically on the rod you bought, but I would take it out to Aaron's and try some different lines on it before you settle on anything. I have an 8/9 midspey on my 14' Heritage and do like it, although at times I wish I would have bought the windcutter instead. The windcutter has a shorter, heavier head and casts nice on my setup.

I only have the one spey rod, but have been fortunate to cast a ton of them with different lines and it seems that choosing the right line is critical with a spey rod.

As far as the reel, I have a Tioga 12 LA on my 8/9 and love it. I had Aaron help me out with the setup and spent time casting in long before I bought it. I've had a few people tell me the drag isn't the greatest on the Tioga, but it works for me.

TGIF!
    Bill
    :beer2:

3. I think the wincutter multi tip with the longer "Upgrade Head" would be fine for many fishing situations, or the Midspey would do it as well. I have the same rod and line combo and am very happy with it with the Rio "Upgrade Head" section of 30 feet taper rather than the old original fifteen foot taper section.

I use a Tibor Riptide Reel on my Sage 9140-4, a large arbor big game reel that holds several hundred yards of Gel-Spun backing and the entire fly line without bunching up on the frame.

What you need is adequate backing for this region's fishing, which means a lot of backing. And adequate diameter and width of spool to handle the line on top of that without binding etc. So most spey rods need a reel for 11 or 12 weight normal lines, to handle the added overall bulk of the longer modern spey lines wound up on the spool. Ross has some very good reels in that catagory too, the "Ross Big Game Reels", and I prefer them.

Balancing the reel and line to your outfit is essential. That is where a good experienced spey caster/fisher is going to be helpful to you. My suggestion is to attend the regional "Spey Claves", and go see Aaron at the River Run Anglers in Carnation; on most saturday mornings he is holding get togethers of the spey crowd over there. You will need help selecting the proper reel and line for that rod, for balance, and for your fishing.

4. Trevor - I'm glad to hear that you are reconsidering your 2-hander position. You saw the results....plus its just plain fun!

The 9140 is a sweet rod. It'll have the same (or thereabouts) action as my 9150 in that its a "traditional" (more full flexing action). Reels and capacity can become a pain in the butt. I have Tioga 12's on my spey rigs. I started out with a large arbor and with a long belly line - you get ZERO backing. I switched to the standard arbors and have ample backing now. For the price point - Tioga is sweet. However, Nautilus, Bauer, Sage, the Hardy Angel.... etc make reels adequate for the spey. Alot of guys use lamson as well.

As Bob mentioned, the Windcutter upgrade, or the Mid-Spey are fine line choices. The shorter heads are supposed to be better/easier for learning. A matter of preference I suppose. I made stuff hard and learned with a long belly. The line that I was throwing on the "Maiden Voyage" is an extended belly, SA XLT that I cut for tips.

If you can swing it - head out to the Seattle Clave at High Bridge this weekend. I'll be there all day tomorrow. You can gleen alot of information and try out all kinds of cool, expensive toys! If you opt for casting instruction - look up this sites own Steve Buckner, The Northwest Fly Fisherman. He offers very indepth casting instruction and I happen to know very well and first hand that Steve knows what he is talking about. That in and of itself will shave a great deal of time off of your learning curve. Best of luck and keep me posted on how this endeavor goes for ya. I'm more than willing to help out in those areas that I can. :beer2:

5. Yeah, you got skunked... :rofl: I, at least, managed a cutthroat on my single hander. :cool:

In all seriousness, I was definitely impressed with your ability to work the same water I was working with much less effort.

Thank you everyone for the input. Lots to consider...

Trevor

6. Yeah, they are nice to fish. Shhhhhh, don't make Jay feel bad since you were the only one who had a fish on. LOL.

I would agree with going up to see Aaron. He'll best help you out with putting lines on that rod and figuring out what's best for you.

7. HAHAHA....Nice Shot Trevor.

Have ya found any mid-river stumps lately? :rofl: Just Kiddin!

I didnt get skunked.....I had a good day of casting practice. Its all about perspective man. Throwing the spey on a river the size of the Nooch....I would hope it was effortless. Wait till we go fish some BIG water! :thumb:

8. Yeah, that's it Jay. I had good practice rowing again and casting the fly rod. Except that time my float went under talking to you guys. LOL.

Shhhhh, don't bring up that stump.

Was fun, when I'm up to it, we'll have to do a "spey" trip with the three of us, say on the Hoh. :beer2:

9. LOL! Touche'...

I was merely trying to dislodge the stump so someone else didn't have to contend with it... :beathead:

Well, my anniversary is this weekend, so I'm not even mentioning fishing this week... Next weekend, however, I want to get out again and I'm game for suggestions. You two interested in braving a maniac on the sticks again?

Trevor

10. Hmmmmm, I may be able to swing that. Where did you want to float? Upper Nooch, or maybe the Satsop? Or??????? I did find out some info why fishing was a bit slow. Heard the Quinaults where netting the Chehalis. So if that was the case, would suggest why fishing has been slow.

11. Treavor,
    Did you actually get the 9140 already?

If not, please cast it, or one like it with a type 6 Rio tip first.

Don

12. Willieboat is right. If the 9140 is the old 4pce it will handle a sinktip reasonabley well. The 3pce, in the estimation of many people, is a much softer rod and does not handle heads very well.

13. The 8/9 mid will be pretty heavy on the 9140-4.
    Have you cast it with the 8/9 mid.?
    The 7/8 is a better fit in my opinion.

14. The 9140 is a great starter rod whether it is the 3 or 4 piece. With all the new rods out there, it will be something you will want to keep as part of your collection. You will have a hell of time putting enough backing on #12 LA with a mid spey. I use #12 regular arbor and have plenty of room for backing and line. As a beginner, working tips on the mid spey will suck. A 8/9/10 windcutter with tips will get working any kind of water faster. 65 foot heads and distance will not be your goal to begin with anyway. Fishing a lot of water efficiently will be. You can always get the 30 foot upgrade later. The windcutter will speed up the learning curve of casting and working heavy sink tips.

15. Actually, if it's the older brown blanked 9140-3 it'll handle heads QUITE well. That was my main tip rod for fishing the OP. I'm not the greatest caster in the world anyways, but it would boom out heavy heads with big flies with ease. I found the 4 piece to be a bit softer actually. But both were older blanks. But that old 3 piece brown blank was a cannon to cast.

16. It's the 9140-4 (green). It's definitely a lot more progressive action (slower) than any of my single handers, but it's light (relatively) and seems to have a powerful butt to it. I'll have to try a couple of lines out and see what works best. Seems like the consensus here is for the windcutter to work with tips. I appreciate everyone's input.

Trevor

17. Sorry, Jerry, of course you are right, the 9140-3 has the faster action. I had a 4 and it was my main Bulkley rod until some goof stole it out of my truck. I like both rods but the 3 would be my choice for all round fishing.

18. Trevor - What are you doing tomorrow.

I just got home from the Seattle clave. If you want to try lines out thats the place. I am sure we can get you into an arsenal of lines. I am contemplating going back up tomorrow. Today was a great day of casting, meeting cool people, and throwing new lines and rods. We can HQ at my place and I will drive to the sky - if ya want. Lemme know.

PS - Stay very far away from the Loomis Roaring River Grease Liners....especially the 15' 9/10 and the 15' 7/8. Stay away or your wallet could take a serious ding. WOWEEEEE :eek: :eek: Super Sweeeeet sticks....

19. Yeah, I actually liked the 4 piecer for drylines or very slow intermediate tips. Used it a bit during the summer on the bigger rivers. But loved that old 3 piece. Actually was in tears when I sold it. Would love to get another older 9140-3 once I'm back to work.

20. Trevor
    Your 9140 is still one of the best entry rods on the Plant
    I have recently added a 9140 VPS to the Tryrack.

So when you get chance come on down and bring the rod I will gladly give you a hand.

:thumb: