need tips for the sky

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlpfohl, Sep 12, 2002.

1. tlpfohl

tlpfohl New Member

I'm one year into fly fishing. This was my first full summer and I'm just learning how to read the water, etc. I've been on the Sky lately and caught a couple of Sea-run cutts. I've had lots of fish approach my fly and then veer off at the last second. I was trying for steelhead (in the north fork and around Startup) but to know avail. Saw someone drifting and catch one so I know their there. Any tips on flies, line, or why the fish veer off? Could it be my big head they see gawking at them? tim :CONFUSED

2. Chris V

Chris V New Member

I fish the Sky with a floating line, this is my preference. I use a long leader to conquer the deep holes and fish my streamers with a high stick technique(for the deepest water ie corners/runs). This is pretty effective. I also use standard strip retrieve in these areas depending on the swiftness and depth. My streamer of preference is a Muddler, natural Deer color, with a black buck tail, and a gold tinsel body. The tie I make is sparse and heavily wieghted in the nose for a quick desent. I weight the leader. I use a lob cast when I fish deep fast water, this prevents any injuries to me by flying lead. As for the fish veering of your fly. Happens to me too. I have found success in varing my retrieve speed. When you see them behind try speeding up your retrieve. Also with a heavy nose this fly produces a undulating swim pattern which seems to attract attention. Try changing sizes too. I tie Muddlers in sizes 4 down to 10. All have been succesful. The bigger sizes have worked well for me on Salmon in the Sky, as well as Summer runs and Winter steelhead. For Salmon try it bouncing along the bottom with a tight line. Gravelly areas are best for this as there are fewer snags. Good Luck. Maybe I'll see you on the Sky. Chris

3. tlpfohl

tlpfohl New Member

thanks for the tips. I have a #4 muddler that I may try a small split shot in front of to keep the nose down. I like the lobcast. I almost pierced an ear once. I drive a black dodge p/u. Stop and say hello!tim

4. skyriver

skyriver Member

Media:
    Chris V has some good tips. I also have good luck using a Muddler, but dry. This time of year there are hoppers in the valley and a Muddler seems just as effective if not more so than a hopper imitation. I like to fish it dry, then finish the swing and then retrieve up through likely water. Chance of catching both trout and steelies.
    I'm in the white toyota p/u. See you out there.

Stacy

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

With all of you guys fishing the Sky no wonder I have the Stilly all to my lonesome. Or maybe thats where all the fish are at.I live close to that river but just can't seem to make it out that way. Guess that I'm going to have a go at it.

This muddler that you are talking about,what size are you using. I have some but never have used them.

Well if I make it out there I'm driving a older Subaru wagon with a Jack-in-the-box baseball nut on the antenna.

Jim