Need to build me a driftboat...questions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BOBLAWLESS, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, can help you on the sled part. First off, what rivers were you thinking of using it on? Some of those westside OP rivers, I've heard on other boards guys threatening dismanteling boat trailers with blowtorches those who droppsed sleds in the Hoh and the Quillyute system. Scary thing, I've seen guys who would actually do it out there. Not condoning it, but know some are nuts enough to do it.

Onto the sled though. You would've loved my old one. I had bought it specifically for 1-2 people. I could jet upriver, then oar my way down (was short and wide). Yes, you usually want to launch down and go up. That way if you do conk the motor, you have current taking you back downriver. BUT, it's always nice to have a kicker on hand as well, to help push you along. Key is learning to use one. Not the same as a conventional deep V. One of the biggest problems with them, too easy to get now and too many grab them and go. They skip a bit, and you have to know how to handle corners with them. I know my boat, I used it alot just for one man running. Plus, was perfect for just taking my kids and myself. Just that it's noisier, and you have to plan for that. Some people love the sound of a jet, some don't. Funny that those who own them love it, those who don't....don't. ;)

Driftboats. Unless you really have a plan to build your own, you can score some damned good deals on one. How many do you want to float in it? You can find older 16' glass or aluminum boats for around $2,000. That's loaded and ready to fish. Plus, you never know, you could run into a deal like mine. I had posted I was looking for a wooden boat I could restore while I was off work. Give me something to do. Instead, I got a nearly free Eastside 16' driftboat. Most of the cost was going to get it. I have ripped the trailer apart and rebuilt it. Only problem, had the legal problems with my L&I just after I got it. Money ran out, so did what I could do to it. But, you could fall into a great deal on a free/near free boat.

2. TheShadKing

TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

I haven't done it, but I have friends who have made kayaks with stitch & glue ... there's a PNW kayak kit maker that sells them.

I watched them do part of it -- they had no experience even, and the kayak paddled straight. :beer2:

But if money was the driving factor, I'd definitely look into the used boats ... and might not even get a drift boat at all, unless I really was focused on the Yak. For around here, I'd get a beat up aluminum boat with a new 15 HP Yamaha four stroke. Put a flat floor in it and you've got a better boat for all the lower rivers / sound / crabbing / yadda.

Rolland

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Have you checked the classifieds here. There is a DB for sale for $1200 including trailer.

REE

4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

All you guys are just too damn sweet! What I wouldn't give to have a neighbor lilke Ron Eagle Elk, Mattzoid, Yellerstone, and Jerry.

I have a lot of stuff which my wife says I must sell: 24' Oregon dory with full cabin and sleeping in the cuddy, trl.,155 Volvo; Smorkercraft 12' tin boat. 5hp brand new Honda 4 stroke (will never be banned); trailer for the Smokercraft (brand new)) and a 19' Nash travel trailer with tons of goodies.
    But this is not the classifieds. I only mention these items to show that I can raise some dough.

My dream now is some sort of a runabout, alluminum, 16', 50 hp or more wiith pump, and I don't give a damn about anyone anymore. After I have fly fished, I'm going to plunk, go to sleep in a nice nap, and wait to be awakened by either a screaming reel or the setting of the sun. I'm tired of screwing around; I'm too old; it is time to get down to business.

Bob, the So sorry to have weakened, but what do you expect, I'm going on 68? bawling: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jerry: I'm mulling over carefully what you said. Got called to dinner! :cool:

5. stlhdjnky

stlhdjnky New Member

Bob,
    Just to let you know Flounderbay Lumber in Anacortes do carry the longer boards (15' or 16' I am not sure ) if you are not in for the scarfing gig. But you pay for it. I know you have abandoned the idea already but just gave the info out there for anyone else that is interested. :ray1:

http://www.flounderbay.com/epoxies.htm

Additionally here is some links to some boatplans if you decide to build your own boat... sled or driftboat
    http://www.glen-l.com
    http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=bycategory.html&&cart_id=9575033_30303

Junky

6. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

It's OK, Bob! If there's one guy on WFF that can get away with "crossing over to the dark side", it's you! ;) ;)

I wish you all the best in your search! Sleds are not inherently bad - it's just that some people (that can afford them) have more money than common sense sometimes! Besides, some of my fondest memories from my childhood involved all kinds of "gear fishing"!

If you decide to pursue the fabled "woody drifter", let me know... I'm in construction and could possibly help in providing materials/supplier connections!

Good Luck, Oh Respected One!