FS need to find a home for a dog

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by orangeradish, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    This is such a heartbreaking pain in the ass. My brother had 2 dogs and 2 kids. They decided that they couldn't handle 2 dogs. We offered to take one he rescued a few years back. She's part black lab, part sheep herd type dog. We have 5 acres. Figured it would be perfect. They didn't know or didn't mention that she has separation anxiety issues. My wife and I both work, so she's home alone for 8 hours a day. This displeases the dog. A bunch. When we are home, she is super chill. Never runs around, barks, chews, jumps. Ever. She really is a sweet girl. All she wants to do is be wherever we are, and get the petting. But when you leave her home for 8 hours, she scratches doors, bites doorknobs, pees a lot. She is a bit of a Houdini. I don't want to take her to a shelter because I fear she won't make it out due to her age. She's 6ish, but is in great health. Loves to walk, loves fishing. She is a killer fish dog, because she always stays close. It's been 3 months. We've had a animal behaviorist over, we've tried different kennel setups. We don't want to sedate her all the time, because that's not cool. She's a pain in the ass when we're not home, but the bigger issue is that she must be miserable. I don't want to go to craigslist, because I'm worried she might get in a similar situation and the cycle would start all over again. I figured I'd tell the full story here and see if there is anyone who is retired, or has someone home most of the time who'd like a really sweet dog. Fuck, this sucks. I really love this dog.

Thanks for reading.

Jason

2. JS

JS Active Member

Bummer, bro. Sorry to hear it, and I wish I could help.

3. orangeradish

Home Page:
    Thanks, man. We're going to keep her until we find her a decent place to live.

4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    I wish we could but already have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Let me share this on my Facebook page, I have many dog friendly folks on there and some local folks that rescue and are in contact. I hate to see a good dog suffer and applaud your sensitivity to the situation.
    Dave

Brian Thomas likes this.
  5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Get another dog. They are pack animals. A lone dog (with a few exceptions) is a sad dog.

Luke77, Derek Young and Freestone like this.
  6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto.

Derek Young likes this.
  7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sorry Jason, this is indeed tough. I "rescued" an abandoned yellow lab from the SF of the Snake, its owners left it at the campground below Palisades and I just couldn't let the skinny thing stay there - besides, we had just lost a lab we had for close to 10 years. So, it seemed like a sign. I got home from the trip after a hellish drive with the dog in the back of my Land Rover, and woke my wife saying "I met a blonde and brought it home with me" to which I nearly got slapped...

Anyhow, this dog which we named Jackson, had the same issue - given his history, not a surprise. It became too much for us, and not enough for him, so we did what you are presuming to do - found a better home. At least I hope that is what happened. It's tough, for sure.

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Jason, How big is she? Any dietary problems/concerns. Long or short coat? Spayed? VEE and I are old retired folks and our dog, Ghillie, is always with us. When we go on really long trips he goes to a kennel that has doggie day care so there is lots of play time and pets.

Rob Hardman, orangeradish and Ed Call like this.
  9. Rudedawg

Rudedawg New Member

Your a good man Jason It will work out!
    I got two now but will watch the thread
    I've been adopted by many dogs over the years It was all to my benefit

10. orangeradish

Home Page:

Ron, I sent you a pm with some details. 1000 thanks for looking into this.

J

11. orangeradish

Home Page:
    Also, thanks for the other replies everyone. I really appreciate it.
    J

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Damn, I wish I could help. My lady and I would love another dog. We are definitely not in the right boat though, since she's currently in grad school and I work full time.

I hope it works out. Good on you for looking out for her. I'm sure you'll get it squared away.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.