need to learn how to tie skwala bug

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by aftershox454, Feb 2, 2005.

1. aftershox454 Alex Yerges

Spokane Valley, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I hear that this is one of the best bugs to hit the Yakima with and i don't have a clue what they are. i'd like to learn how to tie it before i head for the yak this upcoming weekend. Any help would be appreciated
    email me aftershox454@aol.com
  2. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Its a smallish stone fly, for a dry, a stimmie with peacock body will work. Nymph, any standard stone in sz 8-10.

Peace,
    Andy
  3. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I use a nymph similar to a Brooks stone with a fairly bright green dubbed body and grizzley hackle--it darkens in the water alot.Size 8-12

For a dry I use a # 8 or 10 Bugmeister. Like Zen--a peacock body seems to be key.

Davy
  4. Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

Burien, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
  5. Wayne Jordan Active Member

Ratings: +14 / 0
    I've been tying some nymphs up using peacock ice dubbing for the body, with a black wire rib. Looks pretty sweet, can't wait to try them next week! :thumb:
  6. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +434 / 0
    Actually, it's not such a small stonefly, it's about the same size as a golden stone. I tie mine on a 2X long, size 8, 1X fine hook (Tiemco TMC 5212). A dark Stimulator works okay, but the first thing I would do would be to trim off all of the hackle underneath the hook, stoneflies don't stand on their tiptoes. My own pattern (which a friend of mine has dubbed the `slackwater black') is pretty simple.

Hook: as above
    Thread: 6/0 black Uni-Thread
    Tails and antennae: Peccary fibers
    Body: dark gray or black dubbing
    Wing: Moose body hair (dark)
    Hackle: Dark dun, tied ahead of the wing (Trude style) and clipped underneath

I usually tie in a bit of yellow foam on top of the head to make it more visible.

The overall coloring of the natural is a sooty black with a dark gray abdomen (they sometimes have a bit of yellow mottling on the underside of the abdomen and I have yet to find a good way to simulate this, but it doesn't seem to matter much). The females will exhibit a spherical, shiny, black egg sac at the tip of the abdomen when they are ready to oviposit. I've often seen reports from the Yakima that follow a tone something like this `We didn't see any Skwalas on the surface, so we fished nymphs all day'. Since most, if not all of the female Skwalas, lay their eggs after dark, this is not surprising. It is unusual to see Skwalas on the surface, rarely more than one or two in the course of a day's fishing. But the grass and bushes along the banks usually hold quite a few and, being as awkward as they are, they often fall in, and the fish recognize them readily.

Another point to keep in mind; every time I have seen a Skwala on the water, it was was rowing like hell to get back to terra firma. So, don't be afraid to let it drag and wake occasionally; sometimes a fish will drop back under the dead-drifted fly, following it until it starts to drag before taking it.
  7. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    This is the dry pattern my wife and I use with great success on the Yakima Skwalas.

It is a pattern from Montana known as the Bugmeister.

I will do my best to type the instructions.

I tye it on #8 9672 Mustads and Dai-Riki 270's

Tail : elk hair

Body: Peacock herl ribbed with gold wire

Wing, 3 or 4 herl strands followed by pearl flash then elk hair

Calf tail parachute post or antron,Brown and grizzley hackle

1. Tie your post with a good sized clump of calf tail, wrap the post up alittle higher than normal

2. thread base back to above barb and tie in tail using the excess for underbody.

3.Tie in wire at rear

4. Tie in three or four strands herl and using a loop twist(I use a dubbing twister)

5.wrap herl forward just short of post(leave room to tie wing in on top) leave excess strand lengths for now.

6 Counter wrap gold wire forward over body and cut off.

7.Fold herl strands back over and size for wing and cut to length (legs)

8. lay 2 or 3 pearl flash strands on top of the herl and cut to same length then fold back over and do the same again(strength)

9.Stack a clump elk hair and size for wing and tie in behind post.

10. tie in your two oversized hackles near rear of post.

11.Tie in two peacock herls and twist with thread and wrap forward to behind eye of hook (leave room for head).

12. Wrap hackles up the post and back down, each turn under the last (about 6 turns total), bring down over top of head and tie off.

13.Tug on calf tail in opposite directions to "seat" the hackles and apply a small drop varnish.Snip the post to desired height

14. cement the head

15. Cast into brushy banks and slots,behind snags,etc, and HOLD ON !!

16. This fly works!

Attached Files: