Need winter bass tips

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by zinomori, Jan 22, 2011.

1. zinomori New Member

California
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey folks..
    Hope you all are having great time. Well, I am planning a trip to the Colorado River sometime after January and need your advice to make my trip more joyful. Can anyone provide some tips on what flies to use and some techniques? I already have a sink tip line. Wondering should I keep it or get floating line? Looking forward to hear from your side. All your inputs are welcome.

Thanks.
  2. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +724 / 0
    What part of the CO river are you targeting? Reason I ask is there's stripers in some sections, large mouth in others. It'd help to know what you were after.
  3. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    Good for you! Z,
    I used to fish winter bass a lot even during the icy conditions. One of my best time to fish for bass is actually during the winter time! Here is my suggestions.

1) In river situation, try to find deep holes and calmer water, "you find them, you get them! a bunch too"
    I will use floating line with longer leader and deep lead eye flies. Very heavy, bouncing along the bottom. (that is the reason you want to use lead eye to turn up the hook). If water is dirty, use big zonkers (purple is my go to fly for river bass). If water is clear, use more subtle color (Olive. Tan) and smaller fly. but still, you want them dancing along the bottom.

2) In the lake situation, fish slow, deep and fish Jig type of flies. (line guard is needed), get close to structure and retrieve as slow as possible. you can use sinktip to help you to get down, floating line with long leader is good too, but it will be less accurate in targeting certain spot.

3) get close to the spot before you cast, winter bass usually stay down and not that easy to get spooked. Get close to the target area and make a accurate cast is the key, it will save you a lot of frustrations from tangling up and snagging up.

good luck!

Mark
  4. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,256 / 0
    I've only fished the Lake Havasu stretch of th CO river. It was in winter(still over 70 degrees) and we were using poppers at night for largemouth and stripers. Probably could have caught some during daylight hours with sinking line and big, articulated streamers.