Needed: Boat Recommendation for Puget Sound (limited towing capacity content)

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chris Puma, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Chris,
    My dad has had an 80's blue fin, which was an economic aluminum family boat. The thing has done great over the years. It can take a beating, but still does great in the sound and even in sekiu. It is extremely light and can be pushed around with one hand while on the trailer. To put it on a hitch, lift it up carry it and set it on the hitch. It has made it extremely nice having such a lightweight boat. The motor, has even held up well. It was a force 50. So was only actually 35hp. Underpowered. With this I would suggest an aluminum boat. The lunds are great. Though the sides a little low. My dad's boat had a little higher sides, more like a glass boat, so could stay out of the cold a little easier.
    Anyway my .02

2. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

This is an old Bayrunner. Klamath manufactures them now. The 20' hull, motor and trailer weigh less than 1,000 pounds. It’s a good boat for Puget Sound but only a fair open ocean boat. It is easy to trailer, only a small motor is needed, and stays dry in a chop. There are good fly fishing stations in the boat, especially in the bow. The center console breaks the wind and keeps the driver dry but it takes up prime fishing and casting space. Unfortunately, the light hull doesn't push through a swell - it pounds over them. I'd rather have Ibn's Whaler with its heavier more seaworthy hull but I'd rather pay for and tow this boat. An 18' boat like this with a swinging tongue on the trailer would fit in most garages too. That would be a superior Sound boat.

3. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

You've got a good looking boat. I'm looking into Klamath while I eat lunch. They have some pretty cool setups. Aluminum may be the way to go. I don't know yet. I'm still really interested in fiberglass. I plan on starting to think about these things early on so I can do all my research etc... I know that good boat deals come and go. They always seem to resurface. No need to rush into things.

4. clarkbre

clarkbre Member

Do your research and have an open mind. You'll know the boat you're gonna buy when you see it.

Another idea is to take a ride or two in the different types of boats you're thinking of. People telling you how comfortable or durable their boats are (myself included) means nothing until you actually experience it on the water. I'm sure lots of people would be willing to do this for you.

5. You could always get a sled and beat waves in the sound, who knows, might pee blood :(

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Chris,

A center console, or any console, makes for more comfortable piloting longer distances. But consoles consume valuable scarce space in a small boat. I wouldn't have a console in a boat unless it was more than 18' long. Not having a console means I have more space for fishing in my boat.

Nothing beats wood for warmth. But if your interest in warmth/comfort is in regards to taking your GF out during warm weather, then it doesn't matter. My GF is a fair weather outdoors type, and she comes fishing in my Lund in the spring and summer. She wouldn't fish in any boat in the winter unless it had a full cabin with a fireplace inside. Which is not exactly conducive to fly fishing.

Aside: I think using a woman as a factor in boat selection is an idea more likely than not to backfire based on several guys who thought boat choice would make a difference in their women's interest in boating or fishing. Choose a boat that will do well whatever it is that you want to do. You'll be far happier in the long run.

Re: rivited boats. Some leak. They are not made by Lund in my experience with about 6 of them.

Since you are looking for a boat that your Subaru can easily tow, you can get more boat in fewer pounds with an aluminum hull. If you want a boat that takes on rougher water, consider a rough water fiberglass boat like a Whaler or a Sea Sport. But you'll be in an entirely different economic realm, and you'll need a gas guzzler to tow it with.

Sg

7. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Thanks for your thorough reply. I'm rethinking things just a little right now. Yesterday it cost me $47 to gas up my Outback. I think I'm going to concentrate on something well below my comfort level for affordability. Especially since I'm a relatively young guy. There's always time to get my dream boat later. Seems like aluminum makes a lot of sense in my situation.

I completely understand your comment about the possibility of buying a boat which would please your girlfriend. Thankfully, my girlfriend is not high maintenance. I think she'd be comfortable with everything you guys have describe about aluminum boats.

Also, I'm getting the impression that the motor is almost more crucial when shopping than the boat. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic which could take a look at a motor if I find one I'm interested in? I rather pay up front than deal with problems later. Are most people willing to take their boat to your mechanic for an inspection?

These questions might seem extremely obvious and simplistic to you guys but I'm starting from base one here.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Chris,

I'd always been fearful about outboard motor reliability. But I'm running a 1972 Evenrude 50 hp. I bought it with my previous boat from the original owner in 93. I knew him well enough to know that he took good care of his equipment. I've never done a thing with that motor except change plugs once and grease the jet pump every few outings. Sometimes I wish it would give up the ghost so I could justify a nice new 4-stroke, but then I think about the $5,000 that's gonna' cost.

The upshot is that I wouldn't be leery of a used outboard from the original owner if I had a little background knowledge about it. I think a reasonable seller would understand that you'd like to have the motor checked out by a mechanic. Tom's Outboards in Oly is a good choice, but probably not close to your neighborhood.

Sg

9. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

Chris, another consideration: a friend and I were fishing the S Sound on Thursday and the wind was blowing so we decided to beach the boat and fish from shore for a while to avoid hooking each other with spasticasts in the breeze.

My boat was beached when the Coast Guard went blasting by in a cutter, closely followed by a rigid. The wake was at least 3 ft. I had anchored the boat in about 5 ft of water and run a line to the beach. The CG wake shoved it into the beach before I could get to the boat and do my best boat fender impersonation.

A heavy glass boat would have taken quite beating. My boat is wood composite with a 1/8" polyurea coating on the bottom and sides so it's pretty much bullet proof. An aluminum boat would've banged the beach a few times but there's no gel coat to damage.

This is a consideration when launching and retrieving your boat also. If you fish alone you won't have anyone to hold your boat off the rocks while you get your soobie and trailer up/down the ramp. It can really put a damper on your day when some goober in a wakeboarding boat comes flying up to the ramp and leaves a wake that bangs the gelcoat off the bottom of your beloved boat.

In the end, they're all good, just different. You'll love whatever you buy. :thumb:

JonB

10. Salmo has some good input.

Aluminum isn't bad, but glass would be my first choice. Much easier to repair, more stable, rides better... all around better boats in my opinion but yes, you will probably spend a bit more than if you buy aluminum. In the 13-14' range, my choice would be an older 13' Whaler. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the older hulls... they were well built and they're great platforms for fishing. Very stable and they probably have more square feet of space than any other 13' design. They tend to hold their value as well...