NFR Netflix or HuluPlus??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Sorry to post this, but I don't know whom to ask. I have been getting Netflix for awhile. They of course recently raised their prices. I noticed not long ago that (I just have the "watch instantly" feature) they no longer show what is available in the DVD mail order movies since I am only signed up for the "watch instantly". I think it is a little strange that you are not able to see what's available from Netflix until you upgrade to DVD by mail also for a total of $15.99 or something. Anyway, can anyone tell me if Hulu Plus is better than Netflix as far as "recent" movies and number of movies available? I watch movies on rainy days when not fishing sometimes! Thanks pals.
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +618 / 0
    I don't know if this is completely relevant, but I dropped the TV porton of my cable subscription and added Hulu Plus to my Streaming only netflix. There are lots of good movies, but if you want "hot/recent" movies, you'll need a way to rent them. iTunes and Amazon video offer some of this. I have an Apple TV (little box from Amazon, $88) and I can rent movies from iTunes. My DVD player (and lots of "smart" TV's) have Amazon on them.

But as for the depth and breadth of movies, Hulu won't help much. They do have some more recent TV, but not a great movie selection IMO. Rentals on iTunes are usually $4.99 or less.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,489 / 2
    They're different. Hulu is better for getting recent episodes of shows and whatnot, but I love Netflix for watching shows (and movies) that I never got around to watching. They have complete seasons of so many great shows. I like having episodes of Top Gear to watch whenever I please.
  4. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Please, in the name of all that is holy, tell me you mean the UK show :cool:
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Why would it be anything else?
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Just checking. Best car show on earth, one of the best shows over all.

I've thought about getting a VPN account with one of the UK providers so I can watch TG on the BBC One player the day it airs...still might :)
  7. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    I've been wondering something similar.

I was thinking to get the Apple TV box, and wondering if I should get Netflix, Huluplus, or both, on the assumption netflix was more about movies and Huluplus more about watching current TV shows

jay
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    It's just plain one of the most entertaining shows of all time, regardless how much you do or do not care about cars.
    Jason Rolfe and David Dalan like this.
  9. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    wow, this is a fly fishing site not a rental site.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Oh
    rwbailey05 likes this.
  11. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +111 / 0
    apple TV is awesome, aside from streaming MLB games (except the mariners which we are now blacked out of, bastards) and netflix the airplay option for connecting itunes to the tv is awesome, almost worth it just for airplay!
    David Dalan likes this.
  12. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA

I watch fly tying and fishing videos on my Apple TV, via YouTube.

Better now?
  13. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    people pay to watch tv and movies on the internet?
    rory likes this.
  14. wannafish In search of Blinky...

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    We've used Netflix (streaming and dvd rental) and Hulu plus for over a year in place of cable at home. I pretty much got fed up with paying for cable only to have nothing on worth watching during the little time I dedicate to watching TV.

I agree if you need blockbuster/big name movies, Netflix streaming may not be for you. I enjoy watching many of the "no-name" movies and some interesting ones come up from time to time. For popular movies, we still get them through the DVD service. I've always thought it's decent service for the money, even with the price increase. If you can find a show you're interested that has all of the seasons on-demand, Netflix is money! Nothing better than just starting that next episode after a big cliff-hanger... If you watch tons and tons of content, you might run short eventually. I watch about 2 movies a week and probably 2-3 episodes of TV series and I always have somewhere around 100 items in the que. Netflix also rocks for kid's shows - when your kids are stuck on the same 3 shows they can watch them whenever.

Hulu is all about recent episodes of popular TV shows and we basically have it for my wife, who needs that kind of thing. I have a couple shows I'll watch to kill time, but I use the Netflix more.

As a bonus, I can watch either service on my laptop or phone so it can be handy when travelling or just really bored waiting for something.

I save about $50 a month over what was paying for cable. I feel just totally awesome about sticking it to Comcast because they ticked me off a few too many times! I like the freedom to watch what I want when I want.

The biggest downfall? Pretty much nada for fishing and hunting shows! I've found a few online sources and of course youtube, so I'm getting by.
  15. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Thanks all. That was helpful. :) Now, back to fishing!
  16. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    One last abuse of this thread. If you enjoy sci-fi or monster flix (or you're a Norge), fire up Netflix streaming and watch Troll Hunter. You won't be sorry.
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Adding to my list.... If I ever finish Battlestar Galactica
    David Dalan likes this.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,404 / 0
    I have been watching TV since it came out in the 1950's. I now just curl up with a book and read. I'm not expanding my mind because I read westerns.

I turn the idiot box on now a days, but just for the noise. I don't watch very much of it.
  19. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +611 / 1
    They had TV in the Pleistocene age...no shit?
  20. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    If you asked me back in 1960, 1970's whether I would be paying for TV I would have said your nuts!