Nets in Purdy

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Saw THEM setting nets in Purdy today on
    my way home...nice to see that with the
    low/no returns someone is going to wipe
    out another fishery...might as well kill
    off a butt load of cutties too....

I have a right to do this.

You don't.

So there, live with it.

Dave
  2. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    I've never seen so many nets along the beaches this Fall. I hate it. I don't remember this situation in the past years. I think
    "I have a right to do this" is just what it's about and nothing more... It's "hard" to live with it Dave.
  3. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    I have the right to clear-cut my land,
    dig up all my clams, eat all the oysters,
    and not give a shit about what would
    happen next.....

The ones that do this don't own
    what they take...they just have the right
    to take it...

Without ownership you
    could care less about the long term
    and only think about selling stinking
    chums for 50 cents a pound.

DK
  4. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    They get a dollar pound for chum right now. Easy money when these fish average 8-10 pounds each...
  5. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  6. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Peter, Ringlee,

So it's a buck a pound for the meat,
    and 30 bucks a pound for the roe.....

Why would THEY give a rats ass about
    next years fish? or the next....etc....

They need a new truck and
    flat sceen TV (see main fourm).

I'll still have clams and oysters when
    the truck and TV has been taken back.

DK
  7. MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well I am sure you saw the family living under the bridge over the summer netting for King and Silvers. Your first post pretty much sums up what they stated to me down at Purdy and over in Olalla. I guess most are from Tacoma, since those area were "there usual and acustomed areas". It took the cops and WDFW to get the family out from the spit and a good day of tax dollars to clean the area. From what I saw they were not good stewards of the environment. WDFW and the Feds won't do jack...
    Tight lines
  8. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    Just try not to think about it to much, it will just depress you.
  9. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Ha ha solid advice rockfish!
  10. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Rockfish is right, I shouldn't think about it,
    but when I see all the dead Coastal Cutts,
    the waste of a resource, and just the plain
    ignorance and short-sightedness of these
    people with rights it pisses me off.

I was sure that at one time these people
    considered themselves the stewards of
    the Earth......

I would call them anything but that.

Dave
  11. Bill on the bay New Member

Union,Wa
    I happened to be one of the three(ignorant,short sighted)persons on board the boat that set this gillnet along side the highway by the Wauna boat ramp on that peticular Friday. Being that the south sound fish runs have slowed, we decided to come up to Carr for the later returning fish and pick up 16 chum or so for the smoker. Well we only picked up 8, I guess these low to no returns have already hit the hatchery in the many,many thousands above their escapement needs. As for your claim of dead cutties,im curious? In my 27 years of gillnet experiences(prefer beach seining), I have yet to catch a cuttie. I have occasionally picked up a large cuttthroat in my seine, all released unharmed. Have always wondered how they eat though. Many fishermen are stewards of the land and we all know there are a few that are not. I am a fisherman, I work with fish and I read a lot of mis-information on forums and I guess i should learn to not think about it-it just ticks me off
  12. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +276 / 0
    so Bill how could we work together to make sure the runs don't end?
  13. Split Bamboo Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Welcome Bill!

It is great to hear the cuttie's are safe. Thanks for commenting in the forum, glad to hear you are a steward of the land.
  14. Bill on the bay New Member

Union,Wa
    Thank you.

The cutthroat are safe from my boat. Being a sport fisherman, I have always wanted to learn how to fly fish. Some day.
  15. MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Gig Harbor, WA
    Bill,
    The problems arise when the nets are places from shore to shore or are left unattended. Gill nets can't tell the difference between a wild fish or a hatchery fish. Larger Searun Cutthroat do get caught and have seen them harvested by some. Some use smaller net openings to catch everything that meets up with the net unlike seining where you can try to safely release unwanted bycatch. One wonders how any fish can make it up the river to spawn when multiple nets stretched across the river opening. It's not say that all Gill netters are out to decimate runs of salmon. Observations across the state seem to dictate otherwise...from ghost nets to totally closed off river openings. Talking with tribal enforcement leads to dead ends as with our local and federal enforcement. Something needs to be done to meet enforcement and escapement.
    Tight Lines and Thanks
  16. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Bill on the Bay,

Isn't there a minimum mesh size for gill nets. I think it is 3 or 4 inches but not sure.

If the mesh size is too small a larger fish won't be caught. And with a mesh size of 3 or 4 inches a cutthroat would pass through the net unaffected.

Some clarification would be appreciated and informative.

Dave
  17. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Bill, Sorry to lump you in with some of the others I have seen netting.

I'm glad that you have yet
    to catch a Coastal Cutthroat while
    netting, however I have seen evidence
    to the contrary with dead fish left to
    rot on the beach by other people
    netting in the Purdy area. I'll take some
    pictures next time.

Tight lines and welcome.

Dave
  18. Bill on the bay New Member

Union,Wa
    Minimum mesh size of 5 inches for gillnet or larger depending on species fished for. Minimum mesh size for beach seine would be 3.5 inches.
  19. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Bill,

Thank you for the clarification. Though it may be possible but highly unlikely a searun cutt would have a difficult time being snared by a gill net with a 3.5" mesh size and no way could they get caught in a 5" mesh.

Hopefully some will realize that when targettting certain fish in a beach seine the cutts are for the most part not subjected to netting. The other point is the nets were being set on a hatchery run after the escapement had been reached. That is ethical in my view and I would hope others would consider that. Surplus hatchery fish need to be caught. That is why they are there!

Once again, thank-you Bill for being on the forum. There is in general a huge misunderstanding of how the commercials fish and maybe you can add some insight. Not all commercial fishing is bad and it has a place in our fisheries. There is no way that sport fishermen can harvest and remove excess hatchery fish that in themselves can become detrimental.

Dave
  20. MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Gig Harbor, WA
    While Bill is a commercial fisherman and targeting a specific run he may have been confused as a tribal fishermen. The tribal also target specific runs, most of the time. This summer the nets had very small openings targeting wild kings, coho and whatever else got in their net (large SRC's). All while having the nets anchored from shore to shore. Hazard to navigation? Calling tribal enforcement, Puyallup, and the feds, WDFW did nothing. Not until the cops showed up and saw the damage being done under the Purdy bridge did they get kicked out. Sorry Bill if you got lumped in with some bad apples.