Nets in Purdy

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Dec 3, 2010.

1. SRCguy

SRCguy New Member

So who is going to introduce Bill to fly fishing? He sounds like sympathetic steward of our fragile fishery and a future fly fisher.

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I doubt that Bill would have taken offense
    if he was a commercial fisherman.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    For those that think gill nets don't take SRC's, please keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
    They may not take a lot, but the ones I've seen have all been big truly awesome specimens.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Look. One of the beaches I fish that was being netted with a beach seine had a mesh size of 2-1/2 inches square. I know, I CUT out a piece and took it home to measure. It was the S'Klallam Tribe fishing in the Hood Canal. Run those babies right up on the beach and see how many sea run cutthroat get by...... not a chance.

5. dryflylarry

Media:
    And here's the photo of the mesh size I refer to:

6. Bill on the bay

Bill on the bay New Member

So there is no confusion, I am a tribal fisherman. There is always risk of catching SRC in a fishery, I am preaching my own experiences in south sound where my encounters with cutties, along with many others, has been minimal considering the numbers in this area. The photo dryflylarry posted would be a piece of gillnet,not beach seine as stated. The measurement of 2.5" square I think would actually be more like 5" mesh when hung vertically. I have more concern with the backyard poaching of cutties in the local area streams.

7. Bill on the bay

I think my private messaging is not working. Any ideas why?

8. dryflylarry

Media:
    Bill, welcome to the site. So tell me, the net I have shown is illegal to use from a beach as it was used? My other question for you is the tribes rules for netting distance from a creek mouth in the Hood Canal. Several years ago now, I was told by the Skok Tribe officer that it was 1000'. The guys I saw this year (not Skokomish Tribe) told me the rule for them was 600'. If so, is that rule different for different tribes?

9. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Once the SRC's are in the streams or rivers they can be harvested as per the state regs, except where it's noted as closed for fishing. Although most don't know the tribal regulations for fishing what we see just doesn't add up. We have to follow state regulations for debarbed hooks, no snagging and minimum retention for a given season. When talking to gear and fly snaggers/flossers all I hear is the tribes get to rape the run and all I'm doing is taking a few fish. Something needs to be done to protect the resources, on all parts. But we know where that path goes.

10. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

When you measure a mesh, it is streached flat and measured from knot to knot. There is a big difference between gillnet web and seine web. In the 25+ years I fished commercially in P. S., I never saw a cutthroat gill in seine web and the few we did catch could be counted on one hand ( all were released unharmed. I have never seen a cutty that would gill in 5" mesh, not saying they don't exist, but they are rare.

11. Bill on the bay

I can't say it was illegally fished-I was pointing out that the web in your photo was gillnet material-not seine web. I do not know the regulations for Hood Canal but most are posted somewhere online. I do know there is a 1000' boundary around the mouth of Minter bay. Regulations can and will be different between Tribes and areas.

12. Chetwoot74

Chetwoot74 New Member

Hello I am new to this forum. I am the Fish Biologist/Harvest Manager for the Squaxin Island Tribe. The Tribal fishery in Carr Inlet is jointly managed by the Medicine Creek Treaty Tribes (Squaxin, Puyallup and Nisqually) and WDFW. We have the a very close and great relationship managing these fisheries in the South Sound.

I encourage you to please contact me at anytime if you have a question regarding the Medicine Creek Fisheries in Carr Inlet or any fisheries that may be specific to Squaxin Island Tribe. Squaxin fishing areas are Marine Areas 13, 13D-K. Also all of Squaxin Tribes current fishing regulations as well as our Annual Fishing regulation are available online, this includes Medicine Creek Regulations.
    Click Link:http://www.squaxinisland.org/government/departments/natural-resources/salmon/

Hope this is helpful.

Joseph

13. MDL

Joseph,
    Welcome and Thank you for posting the regulations for our area. What gets alot of the locals is when they see the nets set from shore to shore. Both in Henderson Bay(Purdy bridge) and Ollala (by the bridge at Al's). In Purdy I have seen large SRC dead in the net. I did not have a net guage but the opening seemed smaller than 5 inches. Hopefully with the regs posted and dialogue we will know what can and can't be done. We all need to understand that the resources are becoming finite and the need to conserve the same.

14. fishwater

fishwater Human Being...a work in progress

Ladies and Gentlemen: Nice to see that contributors to the thread have for the most part retained their good manners. This is a confusing and emotional topic. Kudos to those of you who are hanging in there and listening to each other.

15. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree

It is always refreshing to see such a conspicuous absence of name-calling, finger pointing, profanity and invitations to a gun fight over such an emotional issue – congratulations to all !! :beer2:

JC

16. MDL

It pays to understand the history behind the issue. Although most don't agree with rights entitled under the ruling. I feel it does need to be updated and better managed for our current times. It has been hashed out before and we don't really need to go there, searching the forum will bring up past posts. It does amaze me how cruel people can be...While fishing uner the bridge when the nets are out you hear the most hateful obscenities being hurled at them. I have searched the net for local tribal regulations and didn't find what I wanted so at least this discussion brought out those regs.
    Tight Lines

17. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I'd like to do it. i was going to write him anyway. I live in Olympia, and am active in local fishing and conservation activities. I'd like to broaden our net work. I've taken DFW biologists out fishing, volunteer in field studies, and want to extend the invitation to Bill and to Joseph Peters.

I'll ping both with a PM to make sure they are aware of my offer.

18. Bill on the bay

Would love the invitation for both offers. Im sure Joe would love to get out and fish-he loves to tell fish stories :) Thank you.

19. Bill on the bay

Although I would like to learn, I have no gear for this fishery.

20. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I am not challenged for equipment. My treat.