Nets in Purdy

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Go Fish, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    Gentlemen, all of you have certainly kept to that behavior and for me a newcomer to this type discussion I do appreciate that and the knowledge that was given out here today I do hope that you will all percivere in your actions that will help all of us coutinue to work together rather than the continual name calling and fighting. We all need to rely on the avalilability of the things we need to make a living and to support our families And for the ways we also enjoy for our recreation without distroying the things that the others of us need too. I wish you all the best in your futher indevours and that Don and Bill and Joseph find themselves in a great friendship gained from their desire to learn each others way of fishing and how all of us may benifit from their knowledge. Happy fishin guys wish I could be there too this is a great start and would be something to watch.

2. Chetwoot74

Chetwoot74 New Member

Will is right I do like to tell stories...well at least talk. But Don, you are used to that fishing with Larry. Now if you get me and Larry together not sure anybody else will get a word in.

3. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Busta,
    It is Federal law set by the treaties of Isaac Stevens in the mid 1800's then later enforced by the Boldt decision. It would pretty much take an act of congress to change it. Search for both it is a fun read. We got land they got 50% of the fish in their usual and accustomed areas which is a "right" under those treaties. When we fish it is "privalege" granted by Washington state.
    Tight lines...

4. Bill on the bay

Bill on the bay New Member

It amazes me that it took over a hundred years for these federal treaties to be recognized.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Forgive me, as I don't know my Native American history worth a damn, but I guess I need to read more. The term "usual and accustomed fishing grounds" is somewhat of a nebulous term to me. Seems to me, as an example, is why is the Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe fishing down in central Hood Canal or lower? I wouldn't consider this "usual and accustomed fishing grounds". Farther north, yes. What am I missing here? I would consider the Suquamish Tribes usual and accustomed fishing grounds, in my mind, from areas like Point No Point, to Bremerton, and south to maybe Gig Harbor and not the Hood Canal. I don't know if they fish the Hood Canal today, however, but that's what I would call usual and accustomed fishing grounds.

6. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

I am sure you will find many fisherman that don't want the treaties recognized and many want them stopped. While these posts could get uncivilized and down right nasty as I have seen on various other forums, I feel it does no good. I do believe there needs to be some sort of revision with our current level of returns and mis-management. Our resources need better management in commercial, tribal and sport. But with these economic times who knows...

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I don't mind the treaties, just trying to understand some wording. Frankly, I think this is a good civilized discussion. Bill and Joseph seem interested in shedding some light on the subject and learn some fly fishing at the same time.