New 11' 3/4 switch rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Apr 17, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I picked up a little switch rod the other day with the main intent of using it for chironomid/indicator fishing. Just lawn cast it with a DT5F on and in a 5 mph sideways wind pushed out 70 feet with it.

The price was right as it was $99.

(and a 5 mph wind over here is a zephyr)
    jwg and McNasty like this.
  2. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Brand? Where bought?
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +634 / 0
    Sounds like a good deal to me!
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    The Anglers Roost out of New York. Comes with two tips. I don't know if the mfgr is being prudent or... if there's a message there.

I had a 13' float rod back in my days of throwing bobbers and egg clusters for salmon. It was too noodly to get a good hookset. I hope I didn't revisit those days with this fly rod. The new chemically sharpened fly hooks shouldn't have an issue.
  5. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +285 / 1
    i have a buddy in NY who's a 2 hander fanatic and has said real good things about A.R. products. and for the price i dont think you can go wrong.
  6. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I have one of their 10' 3/4wt rods. Isn't exactly the lightest rod, and I really just bought it to practice building a rod and wanted a 10' 3wt without paying for one of the better brands. It's more of a 4wt, and even a 5wt. Definitely does not throw a 3wt very well. I need to get a 5wt line and try it, but a 4wt works just fine.

I've found it to be awesome for fishing long leaders and dries. Lots of folks think of these long rods as nymph rods, and they're great for that. But I just see them as awesome dry fly rods.
  7. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    That is a great blank that Johnny has. Its a fun rod and you will have a blast fishing it
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    I don't agree with FlyinFish's post above mine unless maybe there's my rod blank was different than his. My 11' 3/4 switch rod is light. I have felt "clubs" before and the switch rod is not one of those. It probably is two different rod blanks in question.

I may get a day out on the water next week to give it the fish test.