New and need river practice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Fisher Marsh, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Fisher Marsh

Fisher Marsh New Member

Hello all-

I am relatively new at flying and could use some advice. I have a trip to Yellowstone planned at the beginning of September and was planning on fishing.

We are planning to stop in Missoula and would like to get some fishing in (maybe the Bitterroot). Question 1: Anyone know of a place that would be good to go (wading). Not knowing the area makes it difficult to scout and find a place without wasting valuable time.

Question 2: I haven't really fished on a river yet. I know the basics, but would like to practice around here (Seattle to Olympia). I know that favorite places are held in secret, but could you tell me a nice river that would be similar to a Montanna river in size (of course not the same quality or quantity of fish). Like I said, just want to practice.

Your help is appreciated.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

The Snoqualmie forks would be a good place. South Fork lower flows, easily waded, Middle Fork - bigger water, lots of practice mending. I have hit portions of the Nisqually. Deschutes tends to be smaller water,and busy with tubers on weekends.

I think one of the best things to do is practice in the yard or field with a piece of yarn to get the casting rhythm down.

Good luck in Montana. Don't pass up smallers rivers / streams. May not be as well known but they do hold some nice fish!

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I might be old---but I'm good.

Outside of Missoula you have very famous Rock Creek and the Clark Fork. Both should be good to wade by that time. As for around here you have the Green river south of Seattle. The Skykomish, northeast of Seattle. Or the Stilly, way north of Seattle.