New Assault XXX Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by drotsma, Mar 2, 2013.

1. drotsma

drotsma New Member

Just sold my 14 raft and ordered a new Assault xxx so I could take my travel trailer fishing. I am only going to use it on rivers for steelhead fishing to transport 1 or 2 people from run to run. Ordered upgraded oars and anchor system, but not sure what else I will need. At suggestions are appreciated. Also concerned about me and passengers wearing studded boots in the raft, anybody done this with the assault products? When I talked with Scadden he told me I did not need a frame, but a bighorn from NRS would fit. Heading for the OP for a couple weeks when raft arrives and would appreciate any and all comments.

2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I, personally, would not use studs on it.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I have an Assault, one man raft. The wall thickness of the Assault it not that great, surely in an effort to keep it light. I would definitely not use studs in the boat.

One thing to be careful of in the Assault compared to a raft it to be careful not to stick your downstream oar in a rack while floating sideways. With a regular raft, the oars would bounce out of the oarlock or off the pins if using pins and clips. With the Assault, the oar is pegged in place and I almost flipped as I got the blade stuck between some shallow rocks. Broke the blade as well. That was the upgraded oars.

Wayne

4. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

5. Patrick Allen

I this picture is on the Sol Duc I would not run that river without a frame but this is just a personal thing. I have also upgraded the oars do to too much flex in the Sawyer Carbon Fiber Oars upgrades i got from Scadden. Also added a floor so I could stand up and fish from the rowers seat. This can also be taken out if i want to have the option to jump down and fish while standing. Love the boat it is tougher than i thought it would be. I have the NRS Skidgauard frame photo (3).JPG Boat1.jpg

golfman44 likes this.
  6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Very nice!

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I think I drowled a little...that is insane! I love that! Great job.

8. drotsma

drotsma New Member

Thanks everyone for your help and input. Scarboo thanks for the great pictures. I would appreciate pictures and descriptions of your up grades. I'm heading for the OP in 2 weeks and want to explore the rivers. Don

9. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

Nice looking. Does anyone know what the measurements of that boat are? I can't seem to find the specifications on the Scadden website.

10. Patrick Allen

12' long 68" wide 18" tube diameter

11. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

thanks. That is much bigger than I thought. I was looking at the Rocky Mountain 12' raft which is almost identical in size. Although the RMR is much heavier.

so many choices.

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

The XX is 10' long, the Assault is 8' long

13. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

For me, I think 12' is the min size I can get away with. That is, if I want to drag my family out on the water. The positives for the XXX is that it is pretty light and that I can probably manage it on my own without a trailer. On the other hand, the RMR 12' looks more sturdy and will accommodate everyone a little easier. But, the extra weight will make it difficult to handle by myself.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but how long does it take to inflate the XXX with a powered pump?

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

With an LVM pump I am betting under five minutes. The RMR12' is a different boat in my opinion. The Assaults have open floors so you can stand, lift kick from the middle of the boat. Just an observation. On slow water or stillwater, that fin action is nice.

15. Javabean

Javabean Silverlining

Home Page:
    I know this is an old thread, byt I'm looking at the XXX as well and would be curios to see your shopping list. I'd like to recreate the same set up. AWESOME RIG!

Thank-you,
    Tony

16. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    That is a sweet boat. I have the XX stll. A close friend bought the Dragonfly frame and all. Really a cool boat, but still two person. So, I ended up buying the Drifter, which you could haul four comfortably. Designed for three. Then I found out there is a frame for it. Wasn't suppose to be released till 2015. I ordered the frame sight unseen, but going off it will be like the Dragonfly, but three seater. It is my drift boat. And it's main purpose will be rivers. I do prefer the fin power on stillwater, so that XXX is a beauty. Plus you could put a seat in the back for a child. Great idea. Let me know if you go for it. I see a pedastal seat front and rear for easy casting and comfort.