New auto bobbin stoke

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Eyejuggler, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Just got my Ekich in the mail today, pretty stoked to get tying with it, I love my NorVise bobbin and I got a Rite Bobbin for quick changes...but I really like the auto bit. Maybe I am lazy but dammit it's a nice feature. Looking forward to trying it out.

[​IMG]

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Eyejuggler,
    I've been using the Ekich for over a year. Very nice. Took some getting accustomed too, specifically the technique for releasing tension. If you use Griffiths threads, you will find that the Griffiths spools won't work on the Ekich. Faruk is working on a "fix".
    I still like and use the NorVise bobbin.
    Jack

Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I just got mine earlier this week but have only had the chance to tie one night. I had my rite bobbins dialed up with a lot more tension than the Ekich so it is going to takes some getting used to. It does seem to work better with Uni than UTC bobbins, but again, that was only after one night.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Addicted to Cane.......

I've been using one for over a year. Switched from the norvise as having to respool thread is a pain. The Ekich vise is a great step forward. A bit expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Jim

Eyejuggler likes this.
  5. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

too rich for my blood.

it looks awkward to hold in your hand.

i will continue to use my thumb to retract the inch or so of thread like i have for the past 30+ years of tying ;)

Eyejuggler likes this.
  6. GAT

GAT Active Member

That's cool but looks a bit large for me. I'm sold on the disc drag style of bobbin from Stonfo.

7. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

On no! More cool gadgets to look at. I really like the automatic, it is def more bulky than a NorVise but Im pretty ok with that as long as it does what I want. Also, like most folks with lots of rods/reels, I am a sucker for quality tools.

Dave Evans likes this.
  8. GAT

GAT Active Member

If I bought one, I'd have to buy 10. I like keeping the bobbins pre-spooled with thread so I don't need to mess around changing the spools for a different color or size of thread. That would cost me a fortune! :)

Eyejuggler likes this.
  9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

I had an Ekitch that I took to the Albany show 2 years ago. I do tie with Griffiths threads, so the dang spool kept falling off the bobbin in the middle of the fly. Sold it for $50, went to Norm's booth and bought another Nor-Bobbin. He even spooled up some Gordon Griffiths thread for me so I could continue to tie at the show. The Ekitch isn't as symetrical as the Nor-Bobbin so if you spin your bobbin to twist or untwist your thread, it's a bit off balance.

If you like it and can afford it, go for it. It may be just the bobbin that fits your tying style.

For the Pearsall's silk spools I like the Wasatch Mini-Bobbin with the ceramic tube. GAT, I have 14 of them so I always have my silk thread ready to go.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yup, work smarter, not harder, even if you have to put a second mortgage on your house to buy all the extra bobbins. :D