"New" bamboo rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Calvin1, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    I was in Helena, MT this weekend and I picked up a "new" bamboo rod at a local antique shop. I know there are some folks here that are into bamboo so I thought I'd post here before I searched around the net to see if I made a decent purchase. The person at the shop said it was a 1946 rod, it's a Wright and McGill Granger Victory rod. It appears to me to be in perfect condition, no soiling on the cork, the wraps are in excellent shape and a nice pop from all the ferrules (it's a 3 piece rod, and appears to be a 5 or 6 weight). There has been a repair to 1 of the two tips, at the ferrule, but other than that, it appears to be in original condition with the original rod sock and aluminum tube.

I paid $200 for it. Anyone know if I got a good deal or not? In any case, it will look good on the wall of my tying room.

Thanks,

Calvin

2. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    I know the pre-war ones were good. I know they were bought out after the war sometime. I would take it fishing and see how it casts man! You tell us! :thumb:

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    From your description, it does indeed sound like you found a bargain. You don't mention what length the rod is and if the sections are all straight. The model of the rod will be written on the tube label (ie. 9050 etc) and will indicate the length and the weight of the ferruled blank, minus the grip and the reel seat. Thus a 9050 is 9.0 feet long and weighs 5.0 ounces.

Assuming the rod is indeed in good or better condition, there are no other issues you haven't yet discovered, and that the ferrule repair on the one tip is secure and stable, I'd guess it's worth about double what you paid for it, maybe more if it's one of the more prized shorter lengths.

Grangers are highly sought after among cane rod enthusiasts (caneiacs), not for display, but as daily fishing tools.

As a suggestion, if you plan of selling it later you should probably NOT mount the rod on your wall. Gravity will cause the bamboo to develop a curve or set between the support points and thus reduce its value. Sets can be repaired but a good repair will cost money. Instead, store the rod in its sock and tube with the cap off, standing as close to upright as possible in an inside closet and away from direct heat, sunlight and moisture.

Better yet, line it up and take it fishing. Nearly all Grangers were rated for 5wt lines. Overlining it to a 6wt or more will probably incur damage, reducing its value.

If you want a professional evaluation of the rod, PM me and I'll send you contact information for Ray Gould, one of our area's leading bamboo rod makers and restorers.

K

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    One other thing I forgot to mention: it's vital that when assembling and disassembling the sections that you NOT twist them together. There's no surer way to cause expensive damage to a cane rod than by pushing the ferrules together and then trying to aling the guides. Instead, line up the guides BEFORE pushing the ferrules together. Ditto taking the rod apart. You may have to use rubber gloves orsections of an inner tube for a grip but always pull them straight apart.

Cane rods are also prome to damage from moisture, so be careful about getting the rod wet and always dry it off wiht a soft towel before putting it back into its sock and tube.

K

5. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    Thanks Kent,

I appreciate the run down. It appears to me to be a 9ft rod, but i didn't measure it. I did line up all the sections and they do appear to be straight. I didn't think to look at the rod tube for specs on the rod, and I won't be able to until January as I left it in Montana.

Thanks again,

Calvin

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Left it in Montana...what the!!!!! :eek: :eek:

How are you suppose to fish that baby when you don't have it in your possession. I'd be taking a short trip over the holidays and collecting what is mine...:p :p

:cool:

7. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    I'm moving there in January. I didn't want to haul it over there just to add it to the pile to haul back again.

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I just flipp'n ya some sh... At least this way you also don't have to worry about possibly breaking it in the move.

I'll be doing the same next June when we move to Pennsylvania.

:cool: