New Boat Model-Need Help with a Name!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BDD, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Total Length: 8'8"
    Inside width: 17.5"
    Outside width: 42"
    Tube diameter: 12"
    Weight Just under 40 pounds, without oars
    Frame is 20" by 30"
    Capacity: 275 pounds

2. nztube

nztube New Member

How much is the boat and more important for me shipping cost to NZ ?
    Cheers

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sphincter

Go Sox,
    cds

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    This is not quite ready for commercial distribution as we need to work out a few details, as well as the retail costs. As far as shipping to NZ, so far our international exposure has been limited to Canada and so I have know idea what the shipping costs would be at this point. I imagine it would not be too difficult to find out since we have the weight and dimensions...

5. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    BDD,

A little hard to tell from the pics, but are the front and rear rockers the same? For some reason it looks like the rear is canted up greater than the front (not fully inflated?). How much do you want for just the frame - it looks like it could be attached to a number of un-named one man boats that would benefit from true oar locks.

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I am fairly certain the front and rear rockers are the same. There are some factory installed loops on one end that I assume are to be used for attaching the rear mesh deck.

I have a pretty good idea on what materials cost but I'm not sure how much time was involved; probably a lot more on this first one than will be needed for the second. I'd have to get back to you on that.

While I like the idea of making a one-size-fits all, I'm just not sure how feasible that would be. Ken is a bit of a perfectionist and if he thought that a frame for boat would not fit well with another like he thought it should, well he might fret over that some.

We are also playing a bit with the seat height. In this one, the seat might sit too high for a really short person to comfortably use fins so we are contemplating making two seat positions; one for fin use that sits lower to the water and the other for use without fins. Or perhaps we can find a happy medium for those on either side of the height bell-shaped curve.

7. PT

PT Physhicist

The BUB (butt ugly boat). ;)

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Or The BFUB but I'm a family man and there is no need for having an expletive in a boat name.

9. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

I think the reason most pontoon manufacturers slightly recess frames a bit, which lowers their seats (look at the frame on the Outcast Pac boats, the frame seat landing is slightly recessed within the toons, not at level with the tops of the toons like you find on catarafts or whitewater boats) is so you have a good mix of potential to utilize it on still waters with fins versus whitewater where the height helps with visibility as well as keeping you higher away from obstacles essentially. So what I am saying is basically most pontoon boat frames are a bit of a compromise to accommodate the versatility to use them in a river (fins, or no fins) or a lake (fins). There ARE some rivers as you already know where you can casually drift down and fish with the current (or in the slack current too) where you just need the fins to spin you as you cast and fish.

So I guess what you should decide is do you want a compromise craft that can do it all, or a river craft. AS it stands right now, the frame design to me is more of a river craft with it sitting just slightly above the tops for he tubes. Keep in mind however, that since your toon diameters are low, that might help with the ability to use fins as well. Most toons are 16-18-20" in diameter, yours are 12" which might make the frame as it currently stands feasible as a compromise frame.

I will say however that IF you intended to build a longer, and wider version of this platform (I think a longer and wider version of this boat would be a set up for anglers who drift rivers with more/larger class rapids and/or for multi days I wouldn't build a compromise frame) - it should be aimed as a dedicated river craft with appropriate frame.

For River use it would be nice if this boat were 6-12" wider with slightly bigger diameter toons for additional carrying capacity/stability, with my earlier mentioned frame modifications. Right now the boat is competing with the watermasters, only difference is this boat has a frame and rockered hull. If it has some slightly larger dimensions than the water masters, combined with the rocker and frame which water masters don't have, it'd be a way better & safer river craft. I apologize, I'm biased towards rivers. If you want to fish lakes, get a fricking aluminum jon boat or utility boat.

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Scott, my Scadden Cardiac Canyon also has 12" diameter tubes and the frame sits on top of them. It is fine for both finning and rowing.

BDD, we need to sit down for some BBQ and brainstorm names!

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  11. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

OK, you have a problem - I really need to know - which boats do you NOT have? LOL

Freestone likes this.
  12. PT

PT Physhicist

How do you slowly kick around and cast to risers or maneuver the boat while still being able to cast and retrieve?

Looks like this boat is supposed to be a crossover, not a dedicated river craft. Rocker on your boats is fine if you want to reduce carrying capacity and stick on the water. They become a dog real quick when you add weight. More rocker on these boats makes balancing them harder, you'll draft deeper, and maneuverability is greatly reduced when loaded down.

Pretty sure BDD knows what he's doing with this boat. They already have a full line of river boats.
    http://www.catchercraft.com/Products___Prices.html

A little info about rockered boats.

13. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

While there are may be a few situations where a pontoon or inflatable craft may be advantageous in certain specific lake fishing situations, an aluminum jon, pram, or punt style boat is still a significantly better lake craft overall for fly fishing small trout lakes. If you've fished out of both, you''ll say the same thing I'm saying.

Now if you had to have one craft to do rivers and lakes for whatever reason (budget, preference, what have you), obviously a pontoon or mini raft is a good compromise craft. But like anything there is no perfect craft to do it all and if you can afford it, it is certainly better to have dedicated river and lake craft - the basis for my comments.

While there is rocker on this boat, the straight portion of the toons is still level on the bottom for a good portion of the overall length so that definitely offers you solid stability and enhanced "tracking", assuming we take the text you posted as gospel, bearing in mind that river currents do not run straight, square, level, or plumb. At the end of the day it's not just rocker versus some or no rocker that determines overall carrying capacity. Diameter of tubes, design of tubes, length of craft, and how the weight is distributed, also determine how the boat handles under load.

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    The royalty (or payoff) would be just giving her one. I'm sure Sue would go with that. ;)

Freestone likes this.
  15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I doubt she'd even notice it, stacked away in the middle of her pile of other boats.

Freestone likes this.
  16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    She's a boat/gear whore like me. Trust me, she'd NOTICE. Funny how you can have mountains of gear, but you know where it all pretty much is and what you'd use it for. LOL. Ask my buddy Paul. Have a ton of trailer and other misc stuff in my shop. Used to laugh at me about being a packrat, until we needed to do a retrofit of his boat trailer and guess who had all his extra lights from his old rebuild in the garage? :)

Freestone likes this.
  17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hell, let me come too, I'll do the BBQ and help get it put together. :)

Freestone likes this.
  18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, onto boat names. Now, not sure if there's a Trademark infringement here. But what about one of the local rivers like "Yakima" (again, TM for the roof rack company). Or whatever inspired you to make this (if there's a river you were thinking of using it on).

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    In memory of...whiskey tango foxtrot...I'm not dead!
    I want to see the frame. I want to try it on my Assault.
    I like the Mumbler, how about the Flintstone Mumbler, Mumbling Freestone?
    Hands free fin kicking control on the move in rivers is a must, power transfer rowing efficiency with the frame is ideal for quick moves and sketchier runs. Sweet combo Dave! I need to get my hands on one.

Freestone likes this.
  20. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I wanted to call our Kamloops model "Metloops"- half Methow, half Kamloops. That ugly, olive drab thing would probably work well on that skinny river. Plus I love it (the Methow that is).