New Boat Model-Need Help with a Name!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BDD, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, poor choice of words on my part...should have been legacy instead, or something of that nature. :)

Ed Call likes this.
  2. PT

PT Physhicist

I have. And, no I won't.

constructeur likes this.
  3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Scott, I'm with PT. Every time I fish in a boat with a bottom on a lake, I want to take a chain saw to it so I can stick my fins down and kick. So, I bought a boat that I can row, stand or kick. The zip-out floor section was meant for a motor shaft but I us e it for kicking with fins. And yes, it is yet another boat...

Rivendell raft.jpg

Rivendell floor.jpg

PT likes this.
  4. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

PT, just ignore him or you will discover why you are so wrong on your opinions. Some people have conversations, some just talk at you.

PT likes this.
  5. martyg

martyg Active Member

X2!!! I have started a few companies and brand identities and benefited from large, Fortune 500 companies acquiring assets. My advice with a name... Select a name that you wouldn't want a competitor to use.

With no disrespect to everyone else here - all of the names are total white bread - they'd get lost in the marketplace. As an example:

- Southwest
    - Northwest
    - United
    - Delta
    - Virgin

What name sticks out here? That should be your reality check.

My other piece of advice is that marketing and distributing this sounds like a way to loose a lot of money. Unless you have $50K to play with for launching just don't even go there. Once you launch, quite your day job. Nothing will insure your success like pulling multiple all nighters to make sure your next trade or consumer show is flawless, because if it isn't you will loose everything and in living in a cardboard box.

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Adding another boat model to an already existing line doesn't seem like an all or nothing proposition.

7. martyg

martyg Active Member

My bad - I didn't know that the author had a viable line already.

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Well, some may question how "viable" we are. :D

If we were trying to start a company with that boat as our main product, I don't think we'd last very long. And I have no plans to quit my day job, I enjoy it too much, about as much as talking to folks about fishing and boats.

9. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

BDD,
    Curious as to the seat height to the waterline for short leg length and younger people. My inseam is only 29". I splash a lot in a bucks bag Southfork and barely reach foot pegs when rowing.
    Nice looking design.
    One other thing is attaching an anchor on the back with the inflation cap dead center. Can it be moved off center?

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

I don't know (in inches) seat height in relation to water depth but seat height is one of the things we are working on as everybody has a different desire/need. One of the things we try to do as a company is provide a custom boat for everyone. If you get an Outcast, Buck's, NFO, or pretty much any of the mass-produced boats, you accept how they come from the factory. If that works for you, chances are you will enjoy your boat very much as most produce good products or they would not be in business. In your case, I we would re-locate the seat to the lower deck to lessen the distance to the water for your feet.

We have thought a little about the anchor system and it could likely be placed where you want it. However, this boat fills the need of those wanting to keep things light and simple as possible. Most anglers when using fins don't anchor up in stillwater and in moving waters, they often don't get out of the boat but put there feet down and stand up so an anchor isn't used by most on this type of craft. That is probably why the Watermasters don't have anchor systems (I think anyway). But if you wanted one, I'm sure Ken could come up with something.

11. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    Call it the Giggle-Buggy 9000

12. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

I apologize, I live within a few hours drive to several hundred world class Kamloops Trout lakes, as well as I know dozens of hardcore Trout anglers who frequent said lakes, and the strong majority of them feel exactly the same way as me. Like I said though, never said the pontoon boat wasn't a worthy lake craft, or advantageous for some in stillwater situations - it's about preference, but the majority I know feel the same way I do.

Sportsman, I apologize if your feathers got ruffled.

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    When fishing stillwaters, I prefer a pram and will use one every time, if possible, over any other craft. I learned lake fishing in the Kamloops area and there certainly is a larger following in BC for fishing hard bottom boats as opposed to inflatables. However, there are certain lakes where a pram is not possible and if I'm using an inflatable, I prefer using fins to control movement rather than using oars. As Scott mentioned, there is no perfect boat for everyone, which is one of the reason Freestone has about a million of them and why there are just as many boat manufacturers in this country.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

If I was strictly and indicator guy I'd go with a pram. Seems the best boat for that type of fishing. Rig it with an electric and it's very efficient at getting you from place to place to set up. But, I like the ability to move and fish. I spend a fair amount of time fishing indicators but also like to work the water with different lines and retrieves. Wearing flippers is the best way for me to fish the way I want to fish. I can anchor and fish or fish on the move. Best of both worlds.

I just like to point out when people make comments that are absolute in their views. It just rubs me wrong. Saying this is the best or that is the best is very subjective. It's all personal preference and there are a multitude of tools out there that get the job done. Prams are great for some, not so much for others. I have a pretty good assortment of boats and use them all for what they are intended.

Freestone likes this.
  15. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

How about something aircraft related and simple - since this one is almost 9 feet long call it the "B-9" and if you make a slightly larger one to add it to the line up you can replace the 9 with whatever the length is in feet. Either that or how about "Mustang" or "Spitfire"? Or since it is 8'8" call it the "B88"

16. sroffe

sroffe Member

So BDD is this going to be a one man? Or its it big enough to put a frame on it for two to person like the WM Rock Creek?

17. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    This particular model is sized to be strictly a 1-person boat.

18. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    I am not sure if the Flintstone name was meant as a joke or not, but it's perfect for this model. The. Flintstone gets my vote. Of course The Mumbler would be legendary but I doubt it's really a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Flintstone was serious. That is how I refer to my cataraft, 14' with floors fore and aft for passengers, but a conspicuous and convenient hole in the rowers area floor. I'm Fred Flintstoning all the time. A floor under my feet seems too restrictive, so I avoid having one!

Mike Ediger likes this.
  20. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I would go with Notascadden It would be a best seller.
    jesse

PT and Freestone like this.