New Boat Model

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BDD, Jun 28, 2014.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    We spent a few moments rowing around a new boat model this afternoon at Rattlesnake Lake in the rain. I think Ken was pretty happy with the frame, design, and how it handled. Once we replace the 7 foot oars with 6 footers, I think we'll have a decent boat that can do crossover lake and river work.

The boat weighed in at 42 pounds, has 14" diameter pontoons, is 9' 4" inches long and 50" inches wide. Jack's Plastic Welding made this about 4 inches wider than their normal model and a little larger pontoons as well, for a little more buoyancy and carrying capacity. I can't wait to take it out and fish it.

Attached Files:

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    ooh..... I'm liking that for a lake boat

wayne

3. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Dave - Are you happy with those oar towers? Im guessing the the goal here is to keep things lightweight and simple. The Power Drifter which was discontinued recently by Outcast has similar oar towers and I've heard the odd story of weld failure due to the stress placed on them from rowing more gnarly rivers. I mean I know weld quality may vary, but there is no doubt in my mind that that area will receive a fair amount of stress/torque from rowing. Still better/stronger than a glued on pin/frameless system though. Nice looking design for sure as was the last incarnation from a few months back.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    It looks perfect for use as a combo lake and river boat.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

I have not had a chance to take it down the river yet but the goal here was to provide something more substantial than the common glue-on oar locks commonly used by Watermaster, NFO, and the like and still keep the weight down and I think we achieved this goal. If a customer approached us and said they were routinely running class 3 and 4 rivers, I'd recommend going with a full-framed module that would incorporate the heel bar into the main frame. This would allow Ken to build a substantially beefier oar tower (at more weight and expense) to handle heavier flows and currents. However, for the average angler that uses it for class 1 and 2 rivers and lakes, I think this will more than suffice. I'm pretty sure it will be much more comfortable with an actual whitewater seat, rather than the standard seats commonly used on other boats.

6. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Looks very nice and maneuverable with a little more gusto than the pin locks. Very nice work

7. skitterbug

skitterbug Member

How many chambers?

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Looks awesome, BDD! It looks like the oar stands and foot bar can be removed for a lighter weight lake kickboat - is that right? It also appears that the frame breaks down for travel. I can't wait to try one!

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Skitterbug, I suppose you can put in as many air chambers as you want but that particular one has one air chamber and unless someone requested something different, one would be all we would order as a standard boat.

FS, yes, the foot bar can be removed if not wanted/needed and the oar towers are pinned on to the frame and could be removed as well, though they are pretty light in and of themselves. Let's plan a float; you bring your WM and I'll bring this and we'll do some comparing and contrasting.

Freestone likes this.
  10. an assult with a frame saweet

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Well since the JPW Mosquito (with oar frame) was on the market for years before the Assault, I guess what you are really saying is the Assault is a JPW Mosquito without a frame!

I've thought about getting a Mosquito for years as Jack's boats are among the best out there and he is well respected in the whitewater world for his designs, quality manufacturing, service and integrity. What BDD did was make the Mosquito even better and has built a Mosquito on steroids!

constructeur likes this.

12. whatever it is sweet. im debating tearing off the stupid chincy glue on oar mounts and running a frame like this with speed rail for my assult either way i want that boat

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Bring it by and we'll build you up something custom that will fit your boat. Might have to get in line though; we have been busy and Ken is heading up north to catch some fish.

14. skitterbug

skitterbug Member

Mmm...only one chamber. I like the design, but I wouldn't take it out on a river. I've seen too many boats get punctured! For river use, it would be fantastic with 3 chambers, 2 minimal.

15. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Skitterbug,

I hear comments like that quite regular; many folks like the idea multiple chambers in their inflatables and while common sense would dictate that two chambers are better than one, here is a counter comment. The number of times I have heard of a quality boat getting punctured while on the river is pretty small. Often times it is a small leak that needs in-the-field repairing and/or is generally slow enough that it doesn't pose any problems; meaning the repair will work or the floater can make it to the take out without harm or accident. In the event that the puncture is large enough to cause some serious, emergency concern, the puncture is likely large enough that it would penetrate the second chamber any way. Not to say you don't raise a good point. I understand that the Green River in Utah requires inflatables to have multi-chambered boats (though I have never substantiated this). In the event that regulation or personal preference demands a second air chamber, that can be easily accommodated.

Just out of curiosity, what are all these boats getting punctured on? Sticks? Stones? Car bodies? Fence posts? All the above and more? Manufacture defect or operator error?

16. skitterbug

skitterbug Member

Sticks and sharp rocks and bumping into another craft that has a sharp object exposed. Your right its a rare accurance, but when it happens, its shocking how quickly it deflates. I've seen it happen four time on commercial rafting trips, multi chamberer boats so they were able to make it to shore, a one chambered boat would have been catastrophic. Happen to me once in New Zealand, drifting along and there was a small stick submerged underwater by a couple of inches, bumped into it and tore a 7 inch hole. I was able to grab the right stern and pull it out of the water as it deflated rapidly, quickly strapped it to a d-ring on the opposite side, then caught and eddy above a 21 foot waterfall!

Rare occurrence, but when situations happen on a river, instantaneous reactions is required sometimes. Being prepared for all situations is paramount, ensure you have the proper craft and equipment can be life saving.

17. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Skitterbug. I totally agree with you about being prepared for all situations and having the proper craft and equipment for water use.