New book

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  2. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Chris ,
    If you buy it let us know how it is.
    It might be an interesting read, but at $149? :eek:
    FinLuver likes this.
  3. ambassadeur10000 Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    yeah, really. its almost as if the author doesn't want people interested and knowledgable to read it
    FinLuver likes this.
  4. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Holy shit, I didn't look at the price. Not likely to buy that one.
  5. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Think I'll get a new reel instead.:)
  6. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    That book wouldn't be a big seller at any price. But it's likely that the majority of its purchasers will be agencies and institutions that have interest, or liabilities, or exposure to the subject matter, and for them, cost will hardly be a consideration. And I believe that publishers, not authors, set a book's list price.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    It sounds like a text book for a fisheries class. The professors of said classes write a book and then require it for their classes. It's sort of like "double dipping" at the students' expense. But the aricle was interesting from the standpoint that it re-states just about everything we have been saying for years. Permiable substrate? Right. Like the cities are going to go back and dig everything up and replace it.. We all can do a better job of keeping pollutants out of the water, however.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    I believe Steve is correct. At that price, it must be a college text book.
    College is the only place where they can require students to purchase ridiculously over-priced books for a class... usually written by the instructor of the class.

What a racket!
    FinLuver likes this.
  9. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    It ALL seems to be a racket these days Gene.
  10. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0

First, I'm pretty sure that college text books are only that expensive because of the relatively small number of them that get purchased each year. So the price, in and of itself, doesn't indicate to me that it's a "racket."

Second, I am pretty sure I went through college without having to buy a text book written by any of my instructors or professors. If anything, they would occasionally include an article or essay of theirs in a photocopied class packet that we students would pay a nominal fee for to cover copyright and materials.

So, I don't see any rackets. I see people getting properly paid for their hard work and time.
    weiliwen likes this.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Jason, we'll need to disagree on this one. Many friends have worked and still work at OSU here in town and I'm compelled to go along with what they've told me in regards to the text books and the requirements for classes. Sooooooooooo.... I'll drop it.
    FinLuver likes this.
  12. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Having just spent 4 years writing big checks for out of state tuition for my daughter's BA at University of Montana, I've had recent, direct experience with buying college textbooks. I think some of the comments above are indeed true.

The market for textbooks is quite small compared with that for novels or non-fiction aimed at the mass market. The economics of publishing mean that small printing runs end up costing more per book. However, many of the books my daughter needed were available electronically or used, meaning they were quite a bit less expensive than new, printed (dead-tree she calls them) books. But even then, they were still MUCH more expensive than buying a Tom Clancy novel at Costco.

Second, there seems to be a sort of dog-like 'I'll sniff your butt, you sniff mine' attitude when it comes to choosing textbooks. Many of the books she bought (well, that I bought actually!), were either written by her professors directly or by their colleagues, especially in upper-division classes. There's arguments pro- and con for doing so, but it happened enough times that I'd judge it to be a fairly commonplace occurrence.

Is it a 'racket' (with negative connotations of gouging or price fixing)? Probably not enough to support a class action lawsuit, but closer than some might think.

K
    FinLuver and GAT like this.
  13. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    I sure hope that's an isolated practice.:oops: I know your pain though. I have a girl in a MA college, and #2 heading to Colo.
    I'll wait for the Cliff notes, or listen to the armchair lawyers here.
    Kent Lufkin and Chris Johnson like this.
  14. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Just finished putting 2 through college myself, wow.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    "Second, I am pretty sure I went through college without having to buy a text book written by any of my instructors or professors."

That may have been true back in the days of the dinosaur, but I went to college in the mid 80s and was really "peeved" having to spend money for the class and the instructors' book(s)!!

The above, TAs (during recitation) who can't speak the English language, Professors who teach verbatim from a book, and ones that can't answer the "why" questions are the reasons I left college to pursue a career. :D
    GAT likes this.
  16. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0

I went to the UW 1999-2003.
  17. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Well, both of my daughters graduated from college. My wife and I did as well. One daughter has a Masters degree. I do also. The other daughter is a practicing attorney. Try buying law school books. I believe between the four of us we have nearly 30 years in college so I hanestly believe I have a handle on the text book business. They are extremely expensive, comparatively and there is very little resale value. Unfortunately there were no text books on line when my wife and I went to school. Some but few were available to my daughters. One law book that we (I) bought was $250. That, my friends is nigh on to a racket.
  18. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    “Fish can get caffeine, perfume and sunblock from our groundwater,” Schreck said. “The water that flows from our cities has traces of birth control pills, radiation from medical practice, medical waste, deodorants and disinfectants. We could go on all day. Suffice it to say these things are not usually good for fish.”

Probably not too good for us humans either...