New Camera NFR (Canon G9)

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    New Camera NFR

Pointless tech nerdiness is not reserved for the digital age. Photographers have been debating lens test-chart results and MTF graphs for decades now. Not to mention film grain acutance and resolving power.

2. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

My wife is the photography buff, not I but it still means I get to play with a Nikkon D80. Sad part is I just leave the thing on automatic and point and shoot when it could do so much more.

3. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    New Camera NFR

True, there always have been and always will be "measurebaters". It's just more pervasive and annoying now.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    New Camera NFR

Excellent observation.

It's worth considering that as an artform, photography - even digital photography - is still among the least immediate of the media, requiring a considerable number of intermediate steps between the initial vision and the final print on the gallery wall.

Sadly, most of those intermediate steps are and have always been mainly technical in nature, which is appealing to those who rely more on their left brain's tendency towards empirical analysis. Put another way: artists create while technicians debate.

K

5. qrider13

qrider13 Member

You might want to consider the Pentax Optio W60. It is good to 13 foot depth. This is enough for shallow reef dives. If more is needed you might consider the Olympus 1030 which is good to 33 feet and would do for most dives. Obviously either would do for the occasional dump in a creek or lake. Not as high quality as the Canon, but the other features are a real plus. Just my 0.02