New Critchfield SB Special Dry Fly 7'6" 3wt

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Thomas Mitchell, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I got my new Critchfield SB (swelled butt) Special Dry Fly 3wt out on the water for the first time yesterday. I purchased the rod several weeks ago after seeing it on the auction site for a few weeks. I really liked the looks but I was a little concerned that the 'medium-slow' and 'traditional' descriptions of the action might rule it out for my use, especially since I flip-flop between cane & graphite. I contacted Bill and over the course of a couple emails and a phone call, it seemed like it would work so I bought the rod. What sealed the deal for me was when Bill wrote:

"If you decide to buy the rod and find it unsatisfactory for the fishing you describe the best thing to do would be return it to me for a refund. Sincerely, I don't want anyone to be disappointed in any of my rods."

I really doubt I would ever actually do that but for him to say it gave me confidence in him as a maker.

I'm very happy with my purchase. For about the price of a top of the line Winston/Sage, I got a handmade bamboo rod that a skilled craftsman put in 50 hours of labor to finish. In my opinion the quality/price ratio is very, very high with this stick. Most importantly, I can tell it has built in mojo and fishes like a mofo...

So the rod started its first day on the water like this:
    [​IMG]

Before long, it looked like this...
    [​IMG]

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Well that's hand built wholesome goodness for you right there!

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Congrats! Bill makes a very nice rod.
    It will fish well for you.

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    That's a beautiful blade of grass right there!:thumb::thumb:

5. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Congrats! I'd be willing to bet that you and that new rod will become life long friends.

Mike

6. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Cool St. George too!

7. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's from the earlier reproduction series - numbered and initialed with the D-block case. I bought it new/unused a while back and agonized on whether to actually fish it or not. I got it out for the first time a couple weeks back and intentionally let it get a scuff of two to force my self to quit worrying about its 'mint' condition.

8. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I'm glad you made the right choice, Thomas.:thumb: Bamboo rods and classic reels, NO MATTER HOW NICE, are meant to fish. Collectors that just hang this stuff on the wall of their mahogany paneled dens piss me off.:beathead: