New Drift Boat - terrible oarsman - advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by RubberLegs123, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kvannice

kvannice Member

i felt the same way with my first drift in a drift boat after the first run i think i did well but yes very keystone copish here too btw i was ten years for me to get the boss to say yes to my boat i would like to take classes also but time on the water works too floating with some one in the back seat telling me left oar, right oar, point this way, that way helped me alot also point too danger does not seam like a good idea but that is what you have to do.Also never stop rowing!!!!

RubberLegs123 likes this.
  2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  3. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Rubberlegs- Same situation here. I just bought a new Clack SD and now I need to figure out how to use the thing.

The DVD that Clack gave me was helpful, but oar time is what I need now. Gonna take it slow for a long time. Yakima here I come.

I've had a couple of really nice offers of assistance that I will surely put to good use when the water gets warmer.

In the mean time- keep the mossy side down!

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Chip?

5. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

6. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Cougar Zeke: Looks like 43 to 46 Sunday and no rain... might be my second chance to get out there!

7. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Thanks. Have the Clacka DVD's. They did me well too on the.maiden voyage.

8. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

LeMoyne Hyde has updated his video. It is excellent and available from Hyde Drift Boats online. Remember, face your danger and row away from it, and pulling over to scout ahead is never a bad idea.

9. David Bowerman

David Bowerman Member

Home Page:
    Hire a guy from Red's. I bought my dad a lesson and it was money well spent.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

Yup. I talked to Rick and we should get out. Sunday might be do-able if you're interested.

11. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Im in. Gas and sandwiches on me. Where'd you like to meet up Sunday morning? Just say when and where. Guess we should invite Rickky too? Let me know. I'll get your number from Rick.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I was just re-reading this, and one point no one has brought up is the stroke itself. When I first started (when it was rare to see a dory made of anything but plywood) is this: When rowing, stroke as if you were scooping leaves off the surface.

That means stay shallow. Digging too deep not only risks hitting bottom, but takes too much time.

Short shallow strokes that use the most efficient use of the body are what you strive for. Watch an experienced rower going into a tailout, and you'll see rapid powerful applications of power that make it possible to make fine steering adjustments. Think more of how a propeller works, than a paddle wheel.

We're not rowing crew.

RubberLegs123 likes this.
  13. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Thanks. Traveling for work this week and Sean from Silver Bow told me that same thing. Not as eloquently add you though....

14. Brian Riggs

Brian Riggs New Member

I took the class with Dave at Emerald Water Anglers. http://www.emeraldwateranglers.com/seattle/fly-fishing-classes/boat-rowing-school/

It was great.

I would also recommend finding a lake and row around on it too. Practice spinning in one direction then stopping and go the other direction. That muscle memory will help when crossing into or out of faster currents.

Practice rowing in straight lines.

Wear a life jacket, keep a knife handy to cut your anchor rope if you hang up on something.

Stop, look and listen, really look at the water ahead, don't fuss around with other stuff.

Keep the bow pointed forward when on unfamiliar water, less you hit something sideways.

I would offer to go with you however have only been doing this I'm my own boat for a year so.......

Safety first, have fun! My first float was also on the yakima. I set the boat up away from the ramp to keep it open, launched it great, tied it up and parked the truck. When I proudly walked back to the boat my wife asked why there was so much water in the boat. I forgot to put the drain plug in.

Feel free to pm me anytime.

Don Freeman and flybill like this.
  15. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

The hell with classes (no offense to biz said here) but your learning curve will be greatly expanded once the new boat is stuck under a cottonwood tree. It's old school or no school on the water. If you fish on any kind of floating device in moving water you will find problems once in your life, trust me. What I will say is point the boat towards the hazard and backrow like hell.... good luck.