New Fly Fishing Store In Gig Harbor

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Lahar, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Zach M

Zach M Because I floss so hard

Media:
    this is going to be nice not having to go far from home to get stuff

2. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Been out of town due to a death in the family, so it was great to come back to this kind of good news.

Just what we've needed, and I'll be looking forward to seeing some faces to go with the names.

:thumb:

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, I need to talk to the owner. I've seen his boxes. He used to ship alot of them under the other business name through my UPS store that I pickup at. Need to get him away from that blasted downtown/harborview area. Get him up to the REAL business section. Have a few openings on Olympic Drive behind the AM/PM and one in the QFC shopping area as well. Both with good access, right off freeway, and plenty of parking. The one behind AM/PM would be perfect for a flyshop. BIG store, lots of room. Plus, it'd be on my route. :)

So, who knows him to tell him to bag that Spiro location. lol

4. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I kind of agree with you Jerry. Like most locals I'm don't venture to downtown GH very often. That's the land of goofy gift shops and tough parking. However let's not look a gift horse in the mouth.

The good news is that it will be fairly easy for people to find as it's a fairly easy run off the freeway and many people are familiar with the Tides Tavern (however the food at Kelly's is better).

Does your route cover the 5800 block of Soundview Drive? If so I'll have to introduce myself when I see a brown truck at my office.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Where is Gig Harbor, is it a fly fishing destination now? With 23 replies it seems that someone actually lives there or knows about it. That is a trek for me, but as I pass by if the store is accessible I'll be forced to stop by.

6. rotato

rotato Active Member

im stoked
    i like derek and crew at the P.O. store but this is way handier
    i dont have 5 bills a day like some of our wealthier friends but my next two jobs are on harborview
    finishing the interior on the tugboat joe at the old ross place
    and then a new galley on a seiner at the jerkovich dock

i believe this one of the few fly shops with boat access
    so when you lose all your marabou tube flies to huge pinks you can roll on in
    so i guess i like it down town although the buissiness would see more traffic up top
    its guaranteed foot traffic down there

yes kelly's is better

mumbles , ill give you a tour
    late

7. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Don't worry. there is no good fishing in Gig Harbor... in fact, it doesn't even exist. It's just an imaginary place.

8. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

By PO do you mean Port Orchard?

9. Blake

Blake Member

Wow! I'm glad you guys are so excited about our store! We're working really hard to get up and running March 1st but even after the doors open it will probably be a couple weeks to really get everything running smooth. Most of the products on our site will be in the store and we are also adding some new accounts as well so throughout the month of March we will be getting new products weekly.

It sounds like it is a mixed bag of votes in regards to the location. I started looking for a location back in September. I looked around at the Point Fosdick area and there are a lot of openings there. But, I didn't like the feeling of being in a strip mall and cost was a major factor. The difference between being in the new Uptown area and the place I got is $42,000 a year in rent. With the downtown area we will have a lot more walk in traffic (at least in the summer) which will hopefully generate interest and business with tourists and non-fly fishers. (Think about all the gift shopping ladies walking in and buying a t-shirt or hat for their son-in-law, etc).

We're walking distance from Tides so you can swing by the shop and grab a beer! If it is close to closing I'll join you!

Parking - Parking downtown sucks. Fortunately our building has it's own parking lot so you don't have to park on the street. For those of you familiar with downtown GH, the little cottage shops are part of our complex and we all share the same parking lot and there is usually plenty of available parking. Also, there is a grass area there so people can try out rods too.

Many of you know Gary (GigHarborFlyFisher on the board). Gary is an incredible fly fisherman who knows Gig Harbor beaches as much as anyone. He has several original fly patterns for the Sound as well. I've hired Gary as a shop employee and he will be doing beach guiding as well. Check out his site: www.nativetroutflyfishing.com

See you guys March 1st! If you have any questions you can PM me. Thanks!

Blake

10. rotato

rotato Active Member

roger that mike
    bay st outfitters in port orchard
    good little store

11. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Thanks Blake. Looking forward to visiting your shop.

12. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Mumbles, Gig Harbor is the place you hit for coffee on the way to Doc's. :)

13. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Blake- good luck at your new store. what brands will you be carrying?

14. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Media:
    Aw just made my day. This shop will be within 15 min driving from several beaches I fish!

15. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I had no idea!

16. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

mumbles you know your gonna go in at one time or another:D
    besides that has anyone walked in to a fly shop and not liked what they were looking at common all fly shops are unique to the area and species that the area is fished. it sounds like this is going to be a salty shop, but looking over the link that was put on they should carry a wide variety of things

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hell yeah I'll go in, every time I'm down there to fish those non existent waters not mentioned by Henderson, to meet up with the young gang of fly anglers down there or just to enjoy a great area with lots of beaches, points and such. Today is not Monday, everyone should lighten up. I don't know Blake, but I'm sure glad to know that another candy store is opening. When I'm near it, I will come. Isn't there a rule or law that states you MUST enter every fly fishing shop when you are within easy reach? Best of luck for success in the new shop, sounds like the Gig Harbor folks are stoked.

18. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

i think the law go changed to spitting distance due to to many repos and bankruptcy claims

if it was opening on a week day ide skip class to go down there

19. Blake

Blake Member

Hey John,

We're still working out what additional stuff we will be carrying. I've been meeting with reps and such and sending in dealer applications, etc. (note to reps and manufacturers: please PM me for address to send tons of free stuff!) :)
    For sure we will be adding at least two or three new reel companies and two rod companies in addition to the stuff we already have. Going to add another fly line company as well as fly tying vise/accessory company. I'm meeting with a rep this week about waders/jackets/clothing/etc.
    One of my goals is to stock quality products under-represented in other fly shops in Western Washington. If you want more specifics you can send me a PM.

Blake

20. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

Media:
    I have a feeling I will be spending more time in that shop than I will fishing, damn it Blake.