New Fly Fishing Store In Gig Harbor

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Lahar, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Nice to see GH getting a fly shop. Now I have a new place to spend money when I visit my mom! I wish you much success in your new venture, Blake!

2. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    I don't understand where Gary will be guiding, considering that there's nothing going on in or around Gig Harbor...:rofl:

Blake - one under-represented product line I'll mention is Ross, as in rods. I have a five weight and love it. Nicely priced and from what I understand, well-reviewed. Good luck to you. You gotta have some stones to launch a business in this economy. :thumb:

3. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    Can't wait for the grand opening!
    I was really bummed when the the Morning Hatch closed in Tacoma and have had to rely on the box stores for my goods so this will be a welcome addition to Gig:thumb:.

4. Blake

Blake Member

Hi Mike,

I agree. The Ross Worldwide rods are great rods. We have the Essence FC in stock right now and they have been a great product.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I'm just biased. It's my route. LOL. No, I don't do the Soundview area. There are about 5-6 routes in the incorporated GH area (which isn't big if you know incorp GH). My whole route is from the Inn at GH to the Library with the spur of Olympic up to 56th St. So don't move much, but TONS of deliveries.

Blake, wasn't talking Uptown. Prices are way out of this world. Was talking a few of the old shopping areas from way back, and some new ones that are liquidated. LL's is a good sized shop just behind the AMPM. Then there is the old Nicolson's Mens clothing which is shut down and open. Also there's the old Peninsula Computers which is vacant for now.

I'm just looking at an ease aspect. Difference is, my area is busy EVERY DAY of the year. It's rarely quiet, as compared to the guy who delivers down there. My route doesn't change, so means consistency. Whereas downtown guys pull up slack off other routes to keep themselves busy. But yeah, I'd stay away from Uptown myself, the cost per square foot is crazy. Have to have some serious cash to stay there (hence the clientele they have there).

Oh well, thought it'd be a shop I could BS in if it was on my route. I can't break off my route, so won't probably make it down there. As I've always said, I'm not a flyshop type of guy, meaning I don't frequent them that often. I get most of my stuff wholesale through suppliers. Just nice to have a shop for last minute buys I can't wait to have shipped. Plus, my UPS truck is a bigger one, just can't park that baby for long without people getting pissed. A short run to make a delivery is one thing, but hogging up the area to look around, well I guess I could do that too. LOL

6. Blake

Blake Member

Jerry, you'll have to at least stop in once to say hi! It would be great to meet you.

Blake

7. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Blake, I am sure I will be in to check out the store when you get it opened. There are a shortage of good shops and people running them these days, and although I dont often make it into a shop, I do like to support quality ones when i do.
    I look forward to meeting you, and good luck.
    John

8. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

personally i think the business in up tow are going to run out there lease and while there doing that they'll realize that no one is buying anything from them and they will all move on. up town may be on your route and close to my house to but with a bunch of teens around{ im one of them} it might be to crowded for a fly shop b/c the parking in up town really sucks unless your parking by the movie theater

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll definitely stop by Blake. I've seen enough of your packages go through my hands being shipped out at the UPS store, have to say hi.

Colton, you need to reread what I wrote. Wasn't talking uptown at all. Uptown is one small area in the Pt Fosdick shopping district, it isn't the whole thing. Say it this way, of my route it only takes me 30 minutes do deliver the whole Uptown area out of my 9 hour day (and that includes delivering the Multicare in that as well). So isn't much of it. I spend more time up around the Inn at GH and the Olympic Dr spur. And Uptown is getting more business then you think. There's alot of older people with money. Always people in there, and alot going there in evening. The shops that aren't doing well are the ones catering more to teens clothes but in the OUT OF THIS WORLD pricerange. If they ever get the second mall built (where the ford and chevy car lots used to be) it'll be more focused towards teens. But, the economy like it is and problems with the sewer system will put the upper mall on hold. But they are still building the small strip mall behind the Tanglewood Inn. Has a Japanese steak house slated to go in. Maybe they'll put some more "teen friendly" businesses in. But I know the owners of Uptown, don't think it'll get any stores you'd want any time soon. Unless they cave, which I doubt. But the stores are slowly filling up. By this spring, only two, maybe three, stores won't be filled. Which is more then I'd thought in just a year.

10. bcrist

bcrist New Member

Looking forward to supporting this new shop. Those of us living in Gig Harbor need this!

11. SeaRun1

SeaRun1 New Member

That is great news. I have really missed the Morning Hatch and Gary and the guys. I'll come in and spend money on things I don't need for sure. Good luck with the shop. It IS on my way to work fortunately!

SeaRun1

12. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I pass through often - anyplace to park when I'm pulling a small boat? Would love to stop by.

13. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    The parking lot behind the shop is fairly good size so I would think that you shouldn't have to much of a problem parking with a small boat.

14. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks! :thumb: That's awesome. I like having a "little guy" option in the area where I can spend my money. When I'm way down in the south sound I start feeling the gravitational pull of cabela's. :eek:

15. Norme

Norme DM is a D bag

Would this shop willing to hire someone with 6 months of previous shop experience? I really need to find a job.

16. Blake

Blake Member

Hi guys,

It was crazy that the site was down for so long. I bet Chris was just pulling his hair out. (Chris, thanks for your hard work!)

Anyways, I'm glad I can now update you all on what's going on. We will be opening up next Sunday the 8th. We had some delays getting in some of our store supplies (displays, pegs, etc) and building the fixtures is taking forever. But we're almost done! We got a bunch of stuff coming in this week.

So starting next week we'll be open Sun-Fri 3-6pm and Sat 7am-5pm. We're just easing into this and we'll be adjusting our hours later. We'll throw a grand opening party in April.

Ron, it was great to meet you on Sunday. Thanks for letting me know about the sign up link. I didn't realize it wasn't working. We'll get it fixed when we update the site to the new url (pugetsoundflyco.com)

Blake

17. Sonny

Sonny New Member

This will certainly be my new fly shop. Looking forward to spending some time and money. Best of luck Blake.

18. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Media:
    Home Page:
    For those of you that aren't aware of this, the fly shop is now open and is located at 3100 Harborview Dr, next to Spiros Pizza and across the street from the Russel building and Harbor Inn (the building that the car ran into over the summer).

19. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

this shop is awesome, it has so much stuff: for tying, rod, reels, line, flies, books, waders. i went in on Sunday and they had a lot of items up. i thought it was a lot but they told be that they were still talking with companies. i can't wait to be back and see all of you again. i love the shop and the owners and employees are very nice. good luck

colton

20. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Since I don't tie flies it will be nice to have
    a scource on my way home. Looking
    forward to stopping in.

David