New FlyFisher Targeting Salmon in Salt looking for tips

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by NavyAngler, Jul 6, 2014.

1. NavyAngler

NavyAngler New Member

Hey all, Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. I am in the Navy and was recently stationed in Everett. I am new to the area and fly fishing in general. I grew up fishing for kings on the Sacramento with mostly combat fishing near Folsom Dam.

I have been wanting to learn fly fishing for a while and after a recent deployment bought a rod and was given one from my dad. I have went down on the Kern river in socal for rainbow and caught those. It did not seem horribly hard. However I know the salt is a totally different thing, and salmon at that. I have caught pinks and Coho off Whidbey when i was stationed there before with gear.

I currently have a Reddington Crosswater 8wt and an old 6 wt (which i use for the smaller trout) i have a lot of basic gear except maybe flies for the area. I have waders and all the other basics.

I just bought a house in stanwood and am looking to get into some fishing here soon in MA 8-1 and 8-2 as soon as we can keep coho. If anyone is up to give me a few pointers or even possibly get together and teach me a thing or two that would be great. Looking forward to some time on the water not sailing on a warship.

You can PM me if you don't want to post up here.

Thanks and Tight Lines.

Richard

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    A few pieces of gear will make your time in the salt more enjoyable. Pick up a stripping basket (I like the Linekurv - it's the green basket that all the fly anglers on the beach have on their waist) and an intermediate integrated shooting head fly line (Rio Outbound/Outbound Short, Airflo 40+, etc). After that, practice some casting. I think you'd want to be able to repeatedly cast 60ft+ to be the most successful from the beach. Consider a casting lesson to shorten the learning curve.

Once you're ready to hit the water, tie on a pink or chartreuse (or combination of the two) clouser and go out to a local beach. The earlier/lower light the better usually. Pay attention to the tides and find when the area gets the best water movement. Cast in to the tide rips and any other water that will concentrate baitfish and use a fairly quick retrieve. If you're catching more than a couple sculpins/flouder in a day then you're likely stripping too slow.

Watch and talk to other fisherman, read the forums, dig up old threads on beach fishing, pay attention to the water movement and bait, and enjoy the beautiful surroundings!

Nick Clayton and stilly stalker like this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

x2 on the stripping basket. I use a bucket shooter and love it because its lightweight, collapsable, free draining and has the knobs in the bottom to help prevent line coils.

Rio outbound intermediate line is great, with the clear head. I alternate between that line and the 265 grain head with intermediate running line. Really no place for a floating line on the beach.

Strip it fast, all the way back to the rocks

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I've recently come to learn that wearing a mankini leads to catching more fish.

Also, be sure to adorn your stripping basket with at least one Hello Kitty sticker. If you don't you'll probably be ridiculed by any fisherman you encounter on the beach.

5. Nick Clayton

Media:
    I will respectfully disagree with "no place for a floater". A floating line is very handy for many situations.

Plus you can always use the floater with a popper to see if there are any silvers about. After you get a follow you can switch to a clouser on an intermediate and actually catch it. ;)

Sawyer and plaegreid like this.
  6. stilly stalker

pfft! Hello kitty is so passe'

You really need to go "retro" and get some quality spongebob stickers to put on there.

7. stilly stalker

Yeah, floater with a popper. And youre right, I should rephrase... there is a place for the floater. BUT, I think that if you set yourself up to use the intermediate line you can just as easily fish a popper with a fast retrieve, then switch flies in a hurry when the surface bite dies and the fish go deeper.

I look for what will be the most versatile line for where Im fishing. I have a lot of experience fishing beaches with sharp drop offs for SRC and salmon, and in those places, I use a shooting head sinker (265 grain) most of the time unless fish are crashing bait on top.

If Im fishing shallow estuaries, Ill fish an intermediate line ( prefer a clear head) I just dont like the floating line getting buffeted about by the wind chop- plus I love the clear head many intermediate lines have

I would ONLY fish a floating line if it was all topwater action. But even then, I think Id prefer to still use an intermediate line and just pop it back faster.
    Personal preference I guess, but I think that, especially if someone is going out armed with only a single line on their reel I would strongly recommend against a floater.

Ideally, I guess youd have multiple rods at the ready- maybe you get yourself a guide in training, or maybe Orvis Bellevue could set you up with a fly rod caddy, and have a popper rod, a deep searching rod/ sculpin pattern and a rod with an intermediate line/sandlance pattern all ready to go all at once.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  8. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

A good author reading list:

Les Johnson books
    Richard Stahl
    Chester Allen

9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

We are putting on a free "Fly Fishing for Coho from the Beach" this Thursday evening at 6PM at the Orvis Bellevue store. We'll have free pizza and beer to make your long drive a bit easier.

Leland.
    Orvis Bellevue
    10223 NE 10th St.
    425-452-9138

golfman44 likes this.
  10. Nick Clayton

Media:

Sometimes I forget that lots of folks only use one line, one rod, one reel etc. lol

I think it comes to where/what type of fishing you do. If I had to choose either an intermediate or a floater for my "salmon rod", I'd have a pretty tough choice on my hands. I completely agree with pretty much every pro you listed for the intermediate, and those are all reasons why I use it for the bulk of my fishing.... But, I flat out would be nowhere near as successful fishing for chums the way I do if I was using an intermediate. My floater gets a LOT of use come late fall, and where/how I target these fish I just don't believe an intermediate would be anywhere near as effective. (These fish are in shallow water, i.e. < 3 ', and the fish want an ULTRA slow retrieve, as in really hardly moving at all. My intermediate would put my fly in the mud in that situation. There is also a beach not too far from me, that on the rare time I fish it from shore, I much prefer a floater.

Anyway, I'm probably over thinking things, and the best advice to a rookie would be just get an intermediate. Lets face it, chances are they are just going to add another spool with another line, then another reel, then another rod, then another, and another.... It's a sickness I tell ya!

c1eddy likes this.
  11. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    I only use a floater, throw a poly-leader on it if I want to get deeper.

12. stilly stalker

There's more than one way to skin a cat for sure. Flossing chums in a super shallow estuary sounds perfect for a floater ( hahahaha just messin with you)

I dislike poly leaders- but you're right, that's definitely another option

Nick Clayton likes this.
  13. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Haha The only floss here is the dental floss that makes up the mankini I wear to the estuary

plaegreid and stilly stalker like this.
  14. stilly stalker

minty fresh?
    cinnamon is likely to burn

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Hell Kitty is never passé. image.jpg

16. Nick Clayton

Media:
    You can read me like a book!

stilly stalker likes this.
  17. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Borrow an old navy float plane so you can access the best beaches.